Thaumcraft 4...I don't get it

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ZethHQ

Jul 29, 2019
As far as I figured out you need to connect the active dot through active runes in order to activate the other dots, the runes can't be moved when they are active and won't connect if there is more than one space unit between them.
So my question is: What am I doing wrong here?
Screen_Shot001.jpg

Why are those not connecting, any other rule that I didn't follow?

Edit: Also is there other method to get aspects in the research table aside of "scanning" them with the thaumometer?

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
Best and most efficient explanation is going to be watching DW20's TC4 spotlight. With how some of the things work in TC4, you will understand much better by seeing it along with any explanation. :)

Part 1:
Part 2:
Part 3:

Quick edit: Hmm...apparently valid YouTube links automatically turn into viewable videos. Neat. :D

Cirom

Jan 1, 2013
1. There can only be one "line" in the research notes: It can't "branch off" into two paths. You'll have to bring it to the top-right orb first, and then bring it from the top orb to the bottom orb.

2. Later on you can research a "Deconstruction Table", which can break down items into their base Primal Aspects. Do note that you have a very high chance of getting nothing from this method, and the deconstruction can only hold one Aspect at a time (pausing as soon as an item yields an aspect), so you basically have to babysit the table if you want aspects fast. Researching and scanning items is your main method of gathering research points - the Deconstruction Table is really a last resort.

I also recommend watching DW20's spotlight if you get too confused. Good luck!

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I plan to sit down and watch that spotlight soon, but after watching DW's forgecraft series, I was curious. If you're really bad at research and use up your research points moving nodes around, how do you get them back? Do you get additional points for rescanning items?

ZethHQ

Jul 29, 2019
Best and most efficient explanation is going to be watching DW20's TC4 spotlight. With how some of the things work in TC4, you will understand much better by seeing it along with any explanation. :)

Part 1:
Part 2:
Part 3:

Quick edit: Hmm...apparently valid YouTube links automatically turn into viewable videos. Neat. :D
I used to watch every video from dire but now I don't have really much time to do so, I knew about his spotlight on TC4 and is still on the "to watch" list, I just wanted to know what I was doing wrong. :)
1. There can only be one "line" in the research notes: It can't "branch off" into two paths. You'll have to bring it to the top-right orb first, and then bring it from the top orb to the bottom orb.

2. Later on you can research a "Deconstruction Table", which can break down items into their base Primal Aspects. Do note that you have a very high chance of getting nothing from this method, and the deconstruction can only hold one Aspect at a time (pausing as soon as an item yields an aspect), so you basically have to babysit the table if you want aspects fast. Researching and scanning items is your main method of gathering research points - the Deconstruction Table is really a last resort.

I also recommend watching DW20's spotlight if you get too confused. Good luck!

Thank you! Now I got it. :D

Reactions: Cirom

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I actually had the same problem yesterday, couldn't figure it out, wasted tons of aspect points and ended up ragequitting the world.
now I finally figured out if there's an unwanted link between active aspect runes, put an unused rune inbetween to split them up...

N-kay

Jul 29, 2019
What a relief that here's already a post like this, I thought I would be the only one having problems even with the basics of the new Thaumcraft.
But my problem is a little different. On my research table, nothing will connect to anything, I have 3 research notes in my inventory, and I can't figure out any of them. They all look something like this:

Eow9lOu.png

I know that if there are more than 1 connection, I have to block one of them up and connect all of them in one straight line. But I don't even get any connections at all!
Help?

If it's important, I'm playing with the Resonant Rise 2.2.0c modpack.

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
N-Kay, I'll walk you through step by step to solve the research you have in that picture.

1. Select the Ignis symbol and click the green button. It should turn off the glowy red "i" rune.
2. Move that rune down one and right two spaces.
3. Select Ignis again and click the green button again.

From the origin node (the original blue glowing one), you have to move the runes to within a 2 distance radius of the previous node or rune to link the original node to the rest of the nodes.

N-kay

Jul 29, 2019
You were right, thank you.
I didn't realise that in order to solve the minigame, I would sometimes have to turn the glowing runes off and on again( until I can move those too, of course).
That makes research a little more complicated and more expensive in research points I guess.

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
Yep, you learn to scan everything for more research aspects, especially nodes you pass by. When I find a node, I personally scan them, then either waypoint them for later extraction or crush them if they're dark. I'm not a fan of taint.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
You were right, thank you.
I didn't realise that in order to solve the minigame, I would sometimes have to turn the glowing runes off and on again( until I can move those too, of course).
That makes research a little more complicated and more expensive in research points I guess.

you'll constantly have to turn the runes on and off, which will cost aspect points, so the game is to solve the puzzle in as few steps as possible to save on aspect points

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
you'll constantly have to turn the runes on and off, which will cost aspect points, so the game is to solve the puzzle in as few steps as possible to save on aspect points
Best way to do it is probably to turn on the runes, note where they are, then turn them off and move them to the right positions before turning them back on. That way you'll only use up three points of each aspect you use.

desht

Jan 30, 2013
UK

At least until you get Research Expertise and Research Mastery. Those two make research significantly easier, and are worth going for ASAP. Cognitio and/or Sensus are the best way of getting research notes for them. Being able to move active nodes is a big win, even if there's a good chance (guessing at around 1 in 4?) that they'll deactivate when moved.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Best way to do it is probably to turn on the runes, note where they are, then turn them off and move them to the right positions before turning them back on. That way you'll only use up three points of each aspect you use.

if you really want to be a smartie, you could screenshot the game when the runes are active, so you know which runes you need to use when you turn them back off

At least until you get Research Expertise and Research Mastery. Those two make research significantly easier, and are worth going for ASAP. Cognitio and/or Sensus are the best way of getting research notes for them. Being able to move active nodes is a big win, even if there's a good chance (guessing at around 1 in 4?) that they'll deactivate when moved.

I do have to say though that getting certain research has gotten alot more easier then TC3, which is nice since you can immediatly work towards the research you want

ZethHQ

Jul 29, 2019
if you really want to be a smartie, you could screenshot the game when the runes are active, so you know which runes you need to use when you turn them back off

I do have to say though that getting certain research has gotten alot more easier then TC3, which is nice since you can immediatly work towards the research you want

Is not that hard to remember if you do one aspect at a time.

Captain_Oats

Jul 29, 2019
Okay what else am I missing here? Multiple times now I've been unable to get middle nodes to connect to active runes on both side. With everything active it will connect to a rune on one side, and not the other. If I move an inactive rune to intercept the side that's linking, and break the chain, the other side that was previously not connecting, will start connecting. I figured at first it was just because it wasn't a straight enough line, but now I'm not so sure. I've killed far too many aspects on this crap now. And am in fear that I've ruined future progression into Thaumcraft. Couple screens to help you see what I mean.

Again both sides connect, just not at the same time. The red X's are just a couple other places I've placed the runes. The red circle is actually another possible rune that I had activated and moved and still wasn't able to get them all to connect. I'm seriously either missing something completely obvious, or I'm starting to believe this is a bug. Some of these couldn't be any more straight. Do nodes not connect to directly adjacent runes? Is there some other prerequisite I'm missing?

Again putting any non active rune inbetween the links on the left, result in all active runes on the right suddenly connecting.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated as I can't even get past gold caps or research expertise because of this!

EDIT: Gotcha, the middle node is the starting point. So I had to make stupid C's or upside down U's. Ugh so much wasted aspects.

eLEkswI.png

jasondm

Jul 29, 2019
I'm assuming the blue node in the middle is the active one, otherwise those would work. They can't branch. Going on that assumption, below should work. On the first one, you'll need another aspect to finish the bridge where the red highlighted area is else it's going to be dead research and you'll have to trash it, or if you have dartcraft you can craft it together with a force rod to regenerate the puzzle (assuming you have the latest versions). Also, oops, you need to move a couple of those inactive runes out of the way on the second one (the U shaped one and the one to the right of the one at the start of the white arrow). When you have dumb loops like this, you need to use the inactive runes to block any connections you don't want.

2013-10-22_1642.png

Physicist

Jul 29, 2019
I started giving names to the runes so I could recognize them:
  • The reaching man
  • The upward gazing eye
  • The U
  • Open frog mouth
  • Vertical handshake
If you're having trouble remembering some, I've read that associating things with dirty thoughts helps, but for these symbols you'd really need some imagination.

However you do it, by recognizing runes, you can spot them more quickly while doing your research. That's the true "research mastery."

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
It is really not cool to answer a specific question about research with, "Go watch this fourty five minutes of video much of which doesn't even remotely pertain to your question.

Sheesh. o_O

It's worth noting that in some cases, the research line can cross back over itself on actual blue points and appear to be branching. This doesn't often come up, but is the only way to solve some randomized puzzles.

Reactions: Cirom