Thaumcraft 3 questions

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
hello!

Ive recently created a new mystcraft age as my permament home and found a beautiful spot for my new base, just as i turn around im faced with a couple iron bars and a lot of monster noises...

My questions are:

1) Is it bad to establish a base very near to one of the barrow hills with a dark node inside?

2) Can they be harnessed for something usefull or theyr just an annoyance?

3) Where can i find more info about all this? (i tried the FTB wiki, but the info is very very basic...)

Ive never tried TC3 so far, but would very much like to try it in the very near future.

2012-12-26_211743.png

Thank you!

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
hello!
1) Is it bad to establish a base very near to one of the barrow hills with a dark node inside?

2) Can they be harnessed for something usefull or theyr just an annoyance?

3) Where can i find more info about all this? (i tried the FTB wiki, but the info is very very basic...)

1.) Yes, because the dark node constantly generates flux. That means you are likely to be permanently harrassed by wisp spawns and other flux effects like poison and nausea, lightning striking you out of the blue sky, or fitful weather changes. In addition, any flux you generate through your own experiments will only make this worse - you normally have a little breathing room before the bad stuff happens, but with a dark node that is already filled up. You can by the way get the opposite effect by settling near a Pure node. I'm not saying too much, but there's one in your screenshot... ;)

2.) They double as a monster spawner for wisps, if you for some reason wish to farm them. Other than that? No current uses.

3.) Beyond what is in the Thaumonomicon, only what community members have put up on wikis and discussed in forum threads. Google is your friend. Don't spoil yourself too much, though - Thaumcraft is a mod that is built from the ground up for the fun of discovery. There's recipes that don't show up in the Thaumonomicon, research projects that you cannot start through the research table, super-obscure aspects on items you probably never used in your Minecraft career, and the barrow mounds aren't the only secret locations that are generated... Explore! Experiment! See what you can find. That's the whole point :)

Reactions: Juanitierno

Zmaster27

Jul 29, 2019
Pretty place, if you are ok with wisps spawning around your base, then its no issue. you may also have some weird stuff from the flux. you do have a silverwood nearby so that probably helps, it sucks up the flux. I cant see why you couldn't build there.

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
So i would be better off moving a few blocks towards the silverwood tree?

Will the pure node somehow cancel the effects of the dark node so i wont be bothered/killed if i establish on that side? (i would still be pretty close to the dark node....)

i realize thaumcraft is all about discovery, but i would like to understand a bit of the basic mechanics so i dont set up permanent shop in the middle of an evil vortex of doom.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Since you have your goggles, you can check the sphere of influence of the dark node. As soon as the aura numbers and/or flux level change, you are in the sphere of influence of a different node, and the dark node will no longer bother you directly (but wisps randomly flying about still might).

Reactions: Juanitierno

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you!

i ended up creating a new age, im new with TW and im quite sure ill make a lot of fluxy mistakes, better have some leeway there :)

Thanks every1 for your help :)

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
It was no good... set up my base right between 2 silverwood trees (chunkloaded) and 8 hours later.... (havent done anything thaumy yet....)

2012-12-27_083234.png

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
The danger of flat worlds is that it gives Thaumcraft 3 content a lot more room to spawn in. Though... I was under the impression the Barrow Hills relied on the Dungeon symbol to be able to spawn.

nevakanezah

Jul 29, 2019
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the crystals symbol automatically introduce instability to an age, similar to how dense ores does?

SlipperyJim

Jul 29, 2019
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the crystals symbol automatically introduce instability to an age, similar to how dense ores does?​

Sorry you are wrong - Crystal worlds do not automatically cause instability (although they may have in the past).

The Jimbat
Instable

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
AFAIK crystal only gives instability, if you get too greedy (4+ symbols). Same for a bunch of other stuff like strongholds, glowstone crystals or villages (and more).

tabs

Jul 29, 2019
Seems like a good thread to ask: Are goggles meant to make everything darker? I don't recall seeing that effect when I've seen them used in youtube vids.

tabs

Jul 29, 2019
To answer my own question.. Seems like it was probably an Optifine issue. Putting my save into a fresh 5.1.1 install stopped everything going darker when wearing the goggles.

Blasphemarii

Jul 29, 2019
Guys just to let you know, do NOT, I repeat, do NOT put Silverwood trees near the barrow hills, the pure node inside is far too small to deal with the dark node, the dark node will only consume it and empower itself further. Trust me, I've tried this. The only way currently to get rid of a node completely is to build up a pure node that is stronger than the dark node, and make them collide. If the pure node is stronger than the dark node, it will consume it, leaving you with a super powerful pure node. Your going to need to do this a fair distance away, preferably out of the 'gravitational pull' of the dark node. and then use crystal cores to move them together. The best way from my own experience is to plant many Silverwood trees in a close proximity so that the nodes will join between them. This will take you a very long time. You could encase the dark node so you wont have trouble with it, until such time you can actually destroy it (Also, you could make a temporary wisp farm if you want). The super pure node you get is totally worth it in the end though, nothing like a massive purple and blue ball filling the roof of your barrow.

EDIT - In case you didn't know, you use the Crystal Cores from later research to move the nodes. They are expensive. Moving nodes does generate some flux as well, so be mindful that you will be generating more flux before purging it.

Reactions: MaximumOverexposure