Thaumcraft 3 flux observation / lack of wisps problem

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Dasein808

Jul 29, 2019
My local aura node's flux level recently rose to high, but it would never produce any wisps.

After locating the node deep within an abandoned mine, I noticed that it was positioned with its back right against a stone wall. I'd always read that wisps will spawn from the center of a node, and even though the node's center was seemingly unobstructed, they still were not spawning.

Unsure how to proceed, I decided to clear out the stone wall that was pressing against the node. Almost immediately, after taking out the wall, I started to be attacked by a newly spawned wisp.

I killed it and encased the aura node in a 4x3x3 enclosure of hardened glass with a door and waited. I began killing the wisps as they spawned. Gradually, the flux level dropped to moderate and the wisps have once again ceased spawning.

Before it's suggested that I simply had not waited long enough for the wisps to spawn, I have to say that I'd been waiting for nearly a week without performing any additional magic in the area. I would get lots of flux lightning storms, but no wisps and no decrease in overall flux level.

It all appears to be fixed now, and while I can't say for certain whether or not this problem was related to the naturally occurring stone wall that was pressed up against the node, it's worth considering if anyone ever experiences the same issue. :cool:

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
It's definitely known that flux us reduced by spawning wisps, and that nothing can spawn in rock. Whether or not it's intended is another matter entirely.

I can kind of understand sealing up the node causing a backlog of flux (it only really makes sense when there are consequences of high flux other than spawns, like the storms).

As and when I get around to sorting my own game out to a sufficient level, I'd be tempted to seal the node and run purifying bees instead, to make the output somewhat useful.

Edrosty

Jul 29, 2019
Not all wisps are hostile. Some are nice to actual watch float around. To get aura nodes to spawn, you must always have a nice big area around them. I'd say a 5x5x4 area should be best, to give it a good spawn size. Once I got wisps spawning from my Dangerous aura node, it went down to None quite quickly.