Texture-Patcher, configurable for any texture-pack.

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

REDX36

Jul 29, 2019
First I would like to say that I chose this forum and this sub-forum because this concerns texture packs that have textures for this modpack. I am sorry if this thread is inappropriate to either this forum or sub-forum.

The Texture-Patcher is a software that lets users take your texture-pack zips are patch over your mod textures with them. More information can be found on the website: Texture Patcher.

The Texture Patcher is a simple way for users to add your mods textures to your texture pack's .zip. Users just have to start up the program, select the mods they want, select the .zip, and hit patch. All you have to do is download the jar and follow the our Github wiki guide! If you need hosting for or help with your configuration, contact me at [email protected].

Features:
  • Fully configurable for use with any texture pack.
  • Mods and modpack list all stored on the server.
  • First, user checks wanted mods.
  • Then, user selects location of zip to patch.
  • After that, user hits button, program downloads and extracts zips for mods from server.
  • In the end, the program patches specified zip with mod textures.
Downloads of base jar and a Soartex Fanver jar are available on the website. Links to the wiki on how to configure it are also on the site.

Screenshots (Soartex Fanver configured):

86MUOnj.png

3a6abc3efe03491aa849562.png

A9x9RDt.png

920ba2d2101940de865e3fc.png

GAisiXI.png

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
Very nice! I hope many texture pack artists make use of this!

Is the Soartex config meant to replace the already existing sortex patcher, or is it an alternative? I noticed it doesn't read the existing texture pack mod versions...

REDX36

Jul 29, 2019
An alternative, and while I have to maintain a seperate .csv file for my version, it reads from the same .zip repository.

REDX36

Jul 29, 2019

If you need any help with the configuration, dont be afraid to email me, the guide is pretty complex.

Zerosk83

Jul 29, 2019
I really like the patcher idea. Thanks for adding all the different FTB mods into the right categories. Saved me a lot of time I would have spent checking off individual mods :)

REDX36

Jul 29, 2019
Just so you know, modpacks are independent of the base patcher, each tp has to configure them themselves c;

EDIT: Well, Im actually contemplating making modpacks universal, since they dont ever change.

frederikam

Jul 29, 2019
As developer for the Isabella II I don't find this useful for our texturepack, simply because the pack comes all in one .zip file. And soon we will rule the launcher!

REDX36

Jul 29, 2019
Sometimes people compile their mods without modpacks, or have custom modpacks, or even here, (will) have modpacks hosted as FTB private packs. It lets people easily take your work and plop it on-top of what they already have the way they want it. It saves everyone bandwith to have a guy using two mods to download those two mods instead of downloading a whole modded zip and pulling those two out. It may not be the best solution for the FTB launcher, where you click, and *bam* there's a texturepack, but it works very well for any other modded situation.

Greevir

Jul 29, 2019
Sometimes people compile their mods without modpacks, or have custom modpacks, or even here, (will) have modpacks hosted as FTB private packs. It lets people easily take your work and plop it on-top of what they already have the way they want it. It saves everyone bandwith to have a guy using two mods to download those two mods instead of downloading a whole modded zip and pulling those two out. It may not be the best solution for the FTB launcher, where you click, and *bam* there's a texturepack, but it works very well for any other modded situation.
I couldn't agree more. I stopped using FTB a short while ago and have switched to just setting up mods on my own. I only wish the texture pack I use would use this tool. I tried out the tool with the Soartex pack (I don't like the pack but wanted to try out the patcher) and I like the way it works. Kudos.

Shoeboxam

Jul 29, 2019
As developer for the Isabella II I don't find this useful for our texturepack, simply because the pack comes all in one .zip file. And soon we will rule the launcher!
As a developer for Soartex, this has been useful to me because I can compile versions of the texture pack for mod packs easily. As the versions of the mods in modpacks distance themselves from each other, one .zip isn't compatible with all modpacks. I'm stuck with one version of the pack for each mod pack, because a bunch of the same texture slots have different uses in different mod packs. Now that there are.. eight? different mod packs Soartex is distributing, changing each of these different zips would be really tedious. Because of the patcher I only have to update one file for the changes in that one file to trickle down to all relevant mod packs. EDIT: ...aand obviously the files are editable via FTP, which makes things super easy and multiple members of the team can edit the pack at the same time.

I understand the simplicity of only maintaining one .zip is nice, but I eventually ran into problems with it as the mod support became more in-depth. Anyways, good luck with the launcher! I look forward to testing Isabella out. ;)

Reactions: REDX36

frederikam

Jul 29, 2019
EDIT: ...aand obviously the files are editable via FTP, which makes things super easy and multiple members of the team can edit the pack at the same time.

I understand the simplicity of only maintaining one .zip is nice, but I eventually ran into problems with it as the mod support became more in-depth. Anyways, good luck with the launcher! I look forward to testing Isabella out. ;)

At the Isabella team we actually work using the dropbox, it's really easy to work withand share unfinished textures (For example Andrew usually make the GUI). And thanks, Andrew is actually sorting out everything regarding the launcher. Good luck with developing Soartex.

REDX36

Jul 29, 2019
To anyone, if you are using this patcher for your texture pack, email me and I will add you to the list of supports!

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
An alternative, and while I have to maintain a seperate .csv file for my version, it reads from the same .zip repository.
Looks like it's a replacement now... The original one says this is an update XD

zahfelade

Jul 29, 2019
I have a semi-technical question about the patcher. I think I have an idea of how to use it. If it works the way I think it does, I'd like to make a suggestion for a feature I'd love to see added some time down the road, after Minecraft 1.5+ is released.

I'm going to outline a simple example to lay out my understanding of how this patcher could be used to mix and match textures.

I use (for example) 2 mods when playing minecraft: Buildcraft and RedPower2.

If I want to use Soartex textures for Buildcraft, and Sphax textures for RedPower2, I would just use your patcher twice. Both times pointing to my texture pack zip in my .minecraft directory, but choosing different mod packs each time, and only checking the box for the mod I want updated with that particular pack.

In the end, I would have one zip file with Soartex Buildcraft, and Sphax RedPower2 textures.

If I'm correct in my understanding, this could be done applying any participating pack's textures to whichever mod I choose...as long as I don't accidentally check the box for a mod I don't want to apply a particular pack's textures to.

I'm assuming the vanilla textures come from whichever pack you select (I don't see any check box for vanilla minecraft).

Coming up in Minecraft 1.5, each block and item will have it's own file. There won't be sheets of many textures anymore. I'm wondering if you could include vanilla Minecraft textures and expand the functionality of this patcher to have a folder hierarchy, so you can go all the way down to individual texture files. I can either choose the check box next to Buildcraft to select every texture included with that mod, or click a "+" next to Buildcraft to bring up a list of sub-folders and/or included textures that I could then select/deselect as I choose. This would allow users to mix and match their favorite textures from many different texture packs, personalizing their Minecraft experience without having to download 10 different packs, and splice them together into one compilation.

This would also allow folks that have made edits to certain textures to deselect them, keeping their personalizations from being overwritten by any unwanted updates.

Just an idea/dream of mine. I'm not sure if it's possible, or how much of a PITA it would be to implement.

REDX36

Jul 29, 2019
I think your thinking that its one patcher to rule them all, in reality its one patcher for each texture pack. To achieve, for instance, having Soartex BuildCraft, Sphax Redpower, and vanilla everything else, you would create a blank zip (In windows, right click, create new, compressed zip folder), patch it over with the Soartex configured patcher, checking only BuildCraft, then patch it over with the Sphax patcher, selecting only Redpower. Vanilla textures are used wherever textures are missing.

Because of the fact that the patcher would have to download and extract every zip upon loading rather than upon patching, and the fact that Im not sure if Java Swing has the support for the kind of GUI you're thinking of, Im not sure your idea would be possible.

Shoeboxam

Jul 29, 2019
I like the idea, zahfelade, but there are some problems that would prevent it from happening.

We could switch to a system where each texture file is hosted separately in the mod repository, but it would add quite a bit of complexity to the mods.csv and it would be much more work to maintain. This is something that is better limited to vanilla in the form of a customizer.

As for adding other mod repositories to the patcher, you'd first need other texture packs that are willing to share their style and room with you. On top of that, those texture packs would also have to adopt our file system AND have enough mod support to make a patcher worthwhile. Once you take those packs out, your options are pretty slim... borderline nonexistent. I've already approached HanFox, for example, and he declined because of the file system hang up and possible permissions problems.

Reactions: REDX36

zahfelade

Jul 29, 2019
Oh well. Was worth asking about anyway.

I'm still really excited about the 1.5 change. It's going to be MUCH easier to edit/switch-out a texture or two with the new system, rather than having to open up the terrain.png, and using Gimp/PhotoShop to make changes to one or two textures.

Great work on this patcher BTW. It works great!