TechWorld Pack seems kind of pointless.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Darkblock306

Jul 29, 2019
I thought it would be interesting to discuss the new Tech World Pack in Feed the Beast. I may be wrong, but the only difference I see is that it takes away a few mods that are not strictly technical (EnderStorage, Extra Bees) in exchange for gravity gun and charge pads. Seems useless compared to Mindcrack, but if people really hate Soul Shards enough to use a whole different pack I guess that's up to them. Anyway, thoughts?

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
To each their own. Some what a more pure tech mod pack. More power to them.

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
Well, you're forgetting the biggest mod that it goes without: Thaumcraft. The other magic mods you can just choose not to craft their wibbly wobbly thingamajigs, but Thaumcraft has some pretty widespread world generation.

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
I don't really like it that much, missing some of my favourite mods. Namely thermal expansion. Its a tech pack, and TE is a tech mod, so why isnt it in there?

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Also realize mod packs are not just for single players. A server admin that does not any "mumbo jumbo" on their server can now use the pack that does not have any of that.

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
To each their own. Some what a more pure tech mod pack. More power to them.

Exactly this ^^

But I do think it would just be better to just release a pack will all mods in it. That would allow people to make their own packs.

I would much rather have that than to have to dl dw's pack and remove all the mods I don't want from it.

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
You should also note: It does not have Thermal Expansion. I think it is more of an IC2 World pack that revolves around gregtech to do things that TE did, like his soon to be added liquid transposer. Personally I like it, and if I wasn't horribly addicted to having a million mods installed I would play it because I would like the challenge of creating a world that depends on electric machines like a teleporter to go between distance because you don't have something like mystcraft portals.

RadioactiveSand

Jul 29, 2019
The pack with everything is supposedly still coming along with a few other packs with a lot of mods but the FTB guys are still waiting for some of the mods to get their stuff together and update.

vasouv

Jul 29, 2019
Well I don't think it's pointless, I mean the Mindcrack pack was created mainly for the Mindcrackers, now whether people play it is a totally different thing. The Techworld is all about tech and has nothing to do with the Mindcrack one. Sure they both share some mods but they have different target groups.

Of course all of the above is my personal opinion, that's just how I see things.

vasouv

Jul 29, 2019
According to the sticky "Pack difference" thread, Gregtech is on Hard at the Techworld. Don't know if it's by mistake though. In any way, Techworld has too many mods for me (and my pc) to handle, I'm going for Lite :p

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
There is no TE in the Tech pack?! Well that's a huge turn off for me.

I might consider adding it myself though, instead of removing all the magic stuff from Mindcrack.

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
There's one very good reason for having both the Tech World pack and Mindcrack.

For one thing, the only requirement of the Mindcrack pack is that it suits the desires of the Mindcrack team. If they in the future choose to completely redesign their pack for a different experience in 1.5/1.6, etc. they can do that and the complaints against this would mean next to nothing because the pack is meant for them.

On the other hand, the Tech World pack is designed specifically for the general public who want to play mainly with tech mods. This is much less likely to change and so the Tech World is a safer bet for users with this specific interest.

In other words, the DW20 and MC packs are popular now because they're useful stopgaps for the FTB packs, but they're not meant to be primary FTB packs at all.

Reactions: Mero

Darkblock306

Jul 29, 2019
I did forget about Thaumcraft, that's a valid point. But I think it went a little overboard with the removing of mods. Tech World should include all kinds of tech and scientific stuff. I find apiculture to be a science, yet extra bees was removed. (You may argue that extra bees is unrealistic, but it IS based on science) Thermal Expansion is a tech mod, and almost required if you use buildcraft. If its going to be centered around IC2, then don't just cripple the other mods, rename it the Industrial Pack or something, similar to the Universal Electricity Pack.