Tech vs Magic Discussion

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
R

repkatre

Hi everybody,

I'm doing a lets play serie with ftb revelation modpack. In general I tend to play less like direwolf20 and more like Soaryn, like full checkboard of machines, try to exploit in all possible ways, 2 full size bigreactors to power 5 quarry for infinite resources.
Again, in general, for some reason I tend not to use magic mods and not because I don't like it, but simply I don't get the point. In Infinity 1.7 I remember Blood Magic as one of the biggest waste of time in history. By the time you get the full altar for armor (kinda useful), you can get a full Draconic Armor and the best tools, back then. Botania has something usefull, although it's a tech mod disguised as magic mod.
Now everyone seems obsessed with Ancestral Sorcery. I want to bring AS in my videos but again, what's the point of that mod? I know some people will be mad at me like "Shutup dude, it's funny!". Yeah, I agree. All the crafts under the stars , funny and kinda romantic, but for what? You do all the crazy craft in draconic because, ehy like the best items in the game? You do AE2 because autocraft, storage etc, you do Industrial foregoing for trees,animals etc, you do TE for machines, ore doubling etc, you make angel ring cause you can fly creative, and so on.

So I want to know guys your thoughts about magic in general, I really, usually, don't get the point at all.

(sorry for grammar errors)

Thanks.

LordPINE

Jan 2, 2016
This is more a problem with kitchen sinks and your playstyle than with the mods themselves. Magic mods are generally less strong than tech mods. Also, draconic evolution overpowers almost anything else, making all other armor obsolete, which is a bit stupid. If you want magic mods to be useful, try using them by themselves. Most of them get overpowered by tech mods quite fast, which makes them seem useless.

Finally, Astral Sorcery is quite strong, and can generate ores with a ritual, provides an alternative to the magnum torch with a huge range, and can tile accelerate machines. So it's really not as weak as you make it out to be.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame
R

repkatre

This is more a problem with kitchen sinks and your playstyle than with the mods themselves. Magic mods are generally less strong than tech mods. Also, draconic evolution overpowers almost anything else, making all other armor obsolete, which is a bit stupid. If you want magic mods to be useful, try using them by themselves. Most of them get overpowered by tech mods quite fast, which makes them seem useless.

Finally, Astral Sorcery is quite strong, and can generate ores with a ritual, provides an alternative to the magnum torch with a huge range, and can tile accelerate machines. So it's really not as weak as you make it out to be.
Thanks for your answer. Makes sense to me.

Inviato dal mio HUAWEI GRA-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
@repkatre I fall into the same kind of player category you do. Aside from enjoying Botania once or twice, I've always found the magic mods pointless as I look for strength and efficiency in mods. Honestly, I wish there was a spreadsheet out there somewhere that listed the top 3-5 "strong items" in each pack and what they did. If I could look and say, oh that's why people play Blood Magic or Thaumcraft, I would probably be more encouraged to try it.

R

repkatre

@repkatre I fall into the same kind of player category you do. Aside from enjoying Botania once or twice, I've always found the magic mods pointless as I look for strength and efficiency in mods. Honestly, I wish there was a spreadsheet out there somewhere that listed the top 3-5 "strong items" in each pack and what they did. If I could look and say, oh that's why people play Blood Magic or Thaumcraft, I would probably be more encouraged to try it.
Thanks for your contribute. From what I understand a lot of people dont play "min-max" but at least now ive an answer. Next time someone will ask me why no magic mods, i will anwer: "for the same reason I dont do chisel and bits, there is no point to me, its just a waste of time."

Reactions: Reddis
R

repkatre

I'm Sorry I missed an important point. Yeah a cheatsheet about top, actually useful, items in magic mod would be great. Next week I will have some spare time, maybe I'll do It myself and post here.

Reactions: Reddis

LordPINE

Jan 2, 2016
You did not use Astral Sorcery correctly. You can speed up the rituals. A lot. Is an 8x faster machine a reason for you to consider it? The speed ritual I was referring to was horologium by the way. Judging from what you were saying, you didn't accelerate the rituals. Which means that yes, they are basically junk. About as good as trying to power your void ore miner with a survivalist generator.

Or do I need to mention ChromatiCraft (not in revelation), which has instakilling meteor abilities and the power to make yourself a living quarry. Oh, and pendants that give permanent level 3 potion effects. It's not that magic mods are weak, it's that they are less easy to get into.

That being said, if you enjoy tech mods more, play with them. It's your game, and Revelation isn't exactly made to be balanced around magic mods being as powerful as tech mods.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
And not like LordPine did, I mean something you can include in a gameplay that not become useless when you actually try it, so not "according to wikipedia....."

OK, I'm not sure if you're being intentionally rude, but you've certainly come across as so. There was nothing wrong with LordPINE's suggestion, I mean its not his fault you're unable to do magic mods properly, is it? Better manners, please.

Reactions: LordPINE