TE: Reading energy cell levels

Recon

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any way to do it? In previous versions, you could hook up a Buildcraft gate to it and be able to tell if it was full or not. Now the transport pipes don't attach of course, so that's not an option. What is the current method for sending a redstone signal based on the level of an energy cell? I'd like to toggle a power supply to kick in when the cell is depleted.

Recon

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks.

After some tinkering with the comparator and the programmable rednet controller, I set it up to read "Level <= 0" into var0, "Level >= 15" into var1, and "var0 [SR Latch] var1" into the reactor's rednet port.
So now, if the battery goes below 6.25% the reactor turns on. And when the battery is completely full, the reactor turns off. Anything in the middle, the reactor just keeps doing whatever its currently doing.

Pretty slick. Fully automated charging of the battery, with no wasted fuel. :)

reacto10.jpg

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I just wish we could have some BC gate/Nuclear control support back to TE storage cells. Their means of control was/is vastly superior IMO.

If it is a matter of code not being pretty or the methods used not being as light on resources at TE seems to have started prioritizing, then just make it a voluntary addon.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks.

After some tinkering with the comparator and the programmable rednet controller, I set it up to read "Level <= 0" into var0, "Level >= 15" into var1, and "var0 [SR Latch] var1" into the reactor's rednet port.
So now, if the battery goes below 6.25% the reactor turns on. And when the battery is completely full, the reactor turns off. Anything in the middle, the reactor just keeps doing whatever its currently doing.

Pretty slick. Fully automated charging of the battery, with no wasted fuel. :)

reacto10.jpg
Looks sweet. Can't stop freaking out at the fact that the rednet cable is transmitting a signal to the marble, though.

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
Ender IO has a power monitor that you can set a high and low value for it to turn on and off. It is fully adjustable.

Reactions: rhn

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Ender IO has a power monitor that you can set a high and low value for it to turn on and off. It is fully adjustable.
This sounds exactly like a good old Nuclear control Range trigger! Cant want to try it out.

Recon

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I have no idea why the RedNet cable thinks Marble is something which it can connect to. Kind of bad looking. After I clean it up and make a proper floor, I'll need to use a material that it doesn't think is a machine.

Recon

Jul 29, 2019
Well.... turns out you don't even need to use a comparator. Or a battery! Just hook up to the reactor's own internal storage which outputs the level into the rednet port!

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Well.... turns out you don't even need to use a comparator. Or a battery! Just hook up to the reactor's own internal storage which outputs the level into the rednet port!
I know your original query has been answered, but I wanted to confirm that open peripherals does work for energy cells. A cool thing you can do is connect the energy cells to the computer via wired modem and you can aggregate the storage of any amount of cells by adding the max energy storage of each cell and the current energy stored of each cell. I think nuclear control had a way of measuring an array of batbox's in IC2 but it only worked for ~5 batboxes. With wired modems and some fancy work with the peripheral API you can connect as many as you can (I don't know if there is a hard limit to the number of peripherals a computer is allowed though).

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
You know that with a Crescent Hammer or any compatible wrench, you can tell the RedNet cable not to connect to anything, including the marble...
While very useful in many situations, based on the current arrangement in the screenshot that would also stop the cable from connecting with the reactor. It is still a good feature though. I think there might be a config option to add blocks which rednet cable ignores though, at least there was one when Powercrystals was still maintaining MFR

Reactions: rhn

Bevo

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I have no idea why the RedNet cable thinks Marble is something which it can connect to. Kind of bad looking. After I clean it up and make a proper floor, I'll need to use a material that it doesn't think is a machine.
Check your configs. You can set what blocks you want it to connect/not connect to in the configs.

Reactions: YX33A