TC early Electri Modifier usefull?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
Hi,

I got a bit rusty with TC so maybe it’s a very basic question.

I just got a hammer done. Cobalt Plates + Head paper rod and a Electric modifier done with a leadpokeball (can´t remember the name)

It can hold up to 80K RF but I this isn´t really much. It’s about 2 minutes mining only. I can remember that I did the same or similar build before and I was able to mine for ages.

Is the RF limit depending on the Tier of the pokeball I use to put to modifier in? Can I maybe use some kind of remote charger meanwhile I´m in the mines?

I do not have the materials yet for a powersuit which would charge the tool.

Or is Electric Modifier early game just stupid?

Thx!

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
You can carry additional energy capacitors with you in your hotbar. You might need to shift right click it in hand to activate the auto charging.

Then just use your RF powered tool, the capacitor will keep your tool charged.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Also, last I heard, the tier of energy cell or flux capacitor you use does, in fact, affect how much RF it stores. However, what tier you can use depends on the maximum durability of the tool, so tacking on a diamond or emerald may let you put a larger capacitor on the tool.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Yes what he said ^. Also, limited charge really doesnt count for much when you set up an autocharging system. Two enderchests, one for dropping off and one for storing tools. Filter all tools that require charge to go into your energetic infuser and have it output to the the tool chest. Its so easy, you just drop tools off in one pouch and it comes back in the other fully charged.

Reactions: asb3pe

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
OK nice, so I think I will go with a Cobalt Head+Plates and and manylium Rod for the moment. Far easier then recharging it every 2 minutes.

Cobalt isn´t that hard to get with Batform(yes call me cheater go on)

Moss would do it to I think.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Leadstone is horrid but once you get hardened it get much better. Early game I'd say it sucks but late game, A hardened fluxed upgrade and a resonant capacitor and you will end up with a tool that lasts for ages.

I find a good configuration is;
Thaumium handle (you could go paper but higher level fluxed ranks require a higher base durability, paper would make this difficult due to it's durability muliplyer being low) Steel/Cobolt head (go cobalt for the best speed) Paper binding. Put one fluxed upgrade, a silktouch/ fortune, and load the rest with speed.
As for a hammer I like to make one of the plates paper, this affects the duribility and speed, you could go both plates as paper but that might impact the level of fluxed you can use.

The problem with fluxed tools are the same as IC2's drill, it really needs it's external store of energy to last a decent amount of time you kinda need your capacitor. EIO wireless chargers are really good for this.

Dark0_0firE

Jul 29, 2019
I really wouldn't advise using moss on a hammer any higher level than stone. You would burn through the durability so fast and the regen is so slow, especially out of sunlight. I like Azzanine's idea of making a steel hammer with thaumium handle and paper binding with a hardened capacitor. Should be solid for mid game. But once you focus on gathering cobalt/ardite I would go straight for a Manyullin head and plates with thaumium rod and paper binding. Very customizable, and you should be to drop a resonant capacitor for 2 mil energy.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I really wouldn't advise using moss on a hammer any higher level than stone. You would burn through the durability so fast and the regen is so slow, especially out of sunlight. I like Azzanine's idea of making a steel hammer with thaumium handle and paper binding with a hardened capacitor. Should be solid for mid game. But once you focus on gathering cobalt/ardite I would go straight for a Manyullin head and plates with thaumium rod and paper binding. Very customizable, and you should be to drop a resonant capacitor for 2 mil energy.
Don't waste the Resonant Capacitor on the tool. The Resonant Capacitor itself can hold 10 million RF. It is far better to hold it in your hotbar while using a lower tier capacitor on your tool.

Of course that is just my opinion. You could have the 10 million RF capacitor on you powering multiple tools. Instead of using it to give one tool 2 million RF.

Reactions: Dentvar

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
You see one of the advantages of the fluxed modifier is that it allows external RF sources to charge the tool, anything coded like a TE capacitor (or Simply Jetpacks power packs, IIRC those charge fluxed tools). You don't actually need the RF capacity on the tool to be huge. That being said each tier has upgraded charge rates so if you have ample endierium you may as well whack on a resonant, as all the tiers of capacitor take up the same 1 modifier slot.
Then again my "mid game setup" is still comparable with your late game one so long as I have an active resonant capacitor or two on my hot bar. I guess that's the advantage of going full resonant, you don't have to have a capacitor on your hotbar, but that being said you probably still will have one on your bar 20 mill RF is better then 10 mill RF.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Steel head, cobalt plates and thaum handle

Cobalt for speed, thaumic for the extra modifier and steel is a very cheap repair material- so why waste a modifier slot on batteries?
To get it charged by the wireless charger of course :p
and even if you don't have one, dropping your tool or a capacitor into an Energetic Infuser and letting it charge is still more convenient than manual repairing
And the steel cost adds up, especially on a hammer, while RF if renewable and easy to produce.

Reactions: PierceSG

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
To get it charged by the wireless charger of course :p
and even if you don't have one, dropping your tool or a capacitor into an Energetic Infuser and letting it charge is still more convenient than manual repairing
And the steel cost adds up, especially on a hammer, while RF if renewable and easy to produce.
While I agree, if you are willing to spend resource (and time) repairing you will have a tool that functions better, if not slightly. That extra modifier could be filled with speed or damage or whatever.
That being said I still like to use fluxed tools more.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
While I agree, if you are willing to spend resource (and time) repairing you will have a tool that functions better, if not slightly. That extra modifier could be filled with speed or damage or whatever.
That being said I still like to use fluxed tools more.
Well when you have a steel hammer head it's already not as good as it could be.
When you use cobalt it gets too expensive for constant repairing.

But I guess it's a trade-off. Do you want to save materials and have it convenient or do you want that little bit more speed or damage? I guess the speed is rarely worth it when you already have that much speed on your tool.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Well when you have a steel hammer head it's already not as good as it could be.
When you use cobalt it gets too expensive for constant repairing.

But I guess it's a trade-off. Do you want to save materials and have it convenient or do you want that little bit more speed or damage? I guess the speed is rarely worth it when you already have that much speed on your tool.

It is indeed a trade off, Steel in comparison to cobalt is only a matter of 50 durability and 4 speed points (for a hammer) not sure how much slower/ faster that makes things.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I don't really use the hammer for mining, its more of a landscaping tool; the durability is less of an issue.
(I just go cave diving until I hit the automining stage- digging tunnels isn't interesting unless it involves explosives)
[this means I'd consider the electri modifier on the pickaxe]

Steel is cheap; its just 1 iron plus a piece of coal [via railcraft]. Theres always plenty available.