TC 4.2 Mana Beans inquiries

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Greetings folks,

Couple questions about Mana beans:
* Are there methods other than Lamp of Growth that will speed up their growth?
* If I'm using Lamps of Growth, will they "focus" their attention on specific beans if I remove any other grow-able stuff from the vicinity? (This is more of a Lamp question: by removing other beans/plants from the area am I speeding up my bean-growth or just reducing the amount of herba I consume)
* Any other advice to speed-grow beans? I have 2 aqua beans that I'd like to transform into a stack or two asap.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Any plant grower that accelerates ticks / random ticks should work.

According to an analysis I read, each tick the lamp of growth picks a x,z coordinate in the 13x13 area centered on it and scans a 13 high column, starting 6 above the lamp looking for a TE that it considers a crop that is not at 100% growth. If it finds one it schedules a random tick on that block and consumes a unit of charge, where 1 point of essentia charges the lamp with in the order of 100 charges. So, essentia lasts a long time, and it not used up if nothing is found. But, if only 25% of the area of operation has crops, then the lamp will go 75% slower than it could, if the entire 13x13 area was full of crops.

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Any plant grower that accelerates ticks / random ticks should work.
I'll try the obvious stuff tonight (bonemeal, fertilizers). Thanks.

According to an analysis I read, each tick the lamp of growth picks a x,z coordinate in the 13x13 area centered on it and scans a 13 high column, starting 6 above the lamp looking for a TE that it considers a crop that is not at 100% growth. If it finds one it schedules a random tick on that block and consumes a unit of charge, where 1 point of essentia charges the lamp with in the order of 100 charges. So, essentia lasts a long time, and it not used up if nothing is found. But, if only 25% of the area of operation has crops, then the lamp will go 75% slower than it could, if the entire 13x13 area was full of crops.
Perfect, just what I needed confirmed. It doesn't "smartly" confine itself to growable plants, it just hits blocks in its AoE and ticks them. This means I can't speed things up by reducing plants. It also confirms that multiple lamps should work just fine (stacking results).

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Amusing trivia: We've chatted about mana beans before. (its one of the first google results you get too if you start searching for mana bean stuff)

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
It doesn't "smartly" confine itself to growable plants, it just hits blocks in its AoE and ticks them. This means I can't speed things up by reducing plants. It also confirms that multiple lamps should work just fine (stacking results).

You can't speed things up because it only considers a single, randomly chosen, x,z per operation. It is smart though - I am quite sure - I have a bean farm where everything reached full growth weeks ago and I havn't bothered to replant and the herba bottle I supplied is half full and going nowhere.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
You can't speed things up because it only considers a single, randomly chosen, x,z per operation. It is smart though - I am quite sure - I have a bean farm where everything reached full growth weeks ago and I havn't bothered to replant and the herba bottle I supplied is half full and going nowhere.
Strictly speaking, I *can* speed things up by attacking the problem via scale: more lamps.

And by "smart" I just meant it checks ALL locations, it doesn't restrict itself to "places that have plants in them". In other words, if the AoE was 3x3x3 (27 blocks) and only the center block had a plant in it, and the rate-of-effect was one effect per second, then my single plant would get buffed every 1/27 seconds, not every 1/1 seconds. However if ALL those blocks had plants in them, then every second *a* (random-ish) plant would grow.

And I do understand that neither scenario wastes herba. In my 1/27 scenario, I'd lose some amount of herba (fractional or integer) every 1/27 seconds. In my 27/27 scenario, I'd lose herba a lot faster because it is successfully growing plants.