Support desk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
Hello due to a backlog that had built up on our support desk we have taken the decision to clear out all the tickets and start again, if you were waiting for a reply feel free to resubmit it or you can head over to the support section of the forums and post it there, sorry for the inconvenience.
Captainnana

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
More info here:
For anyone who had an open ticket on the Help Desk, please read this tweet:
https://twitter.com/AshZification/status/313078749463728128

We had an insane amount of backlog on tickets. Please if you're opening a ticket, check out the articles on the Knowledgebase first, as many of the problems can be solved by those articles. Help us, help you, and check out the information available before joining the queue!

Edit, I'll also add: if someone responds to your ticket, and you do not reply after 2 days, your ticket is subject to be closed.
Edit x2: Do not post on the knowledgebase articles requesting help. Every single comment you submit require approval before it is posted. If you post a comment asking for help, it will just get deleted, and you will not get help. Open a ticket if you want help.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
New round of deletions.
Any ticket older than 7 days (as of today, April 7th) will be deleted. I was away this weekend and there are now in excess of 800 tickets that are unassigned.
To make things easier on myself, any help desk staff that do help, and provide the best help that I can, I need to trim the backlog.

See these twitter posts:
https://twitter.com/AshZification/status/321036207075241984
https://twitter.com/AshZification/status/321036392178266112

Edit:
Anything posted more than 5 days ago (120 hours, 5 days exactly) will be deleted. The backlog seems to have grown immensely this week.
Changing to deleting all posts older than 5 days has halved the amount of unassigned tickets. This should help me be able to respond to more tickets, without the worry of such a backlog.
Again, sorry if your ticket was deleted :(
https://twitter.com/AshZification/status/321038540823732224

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
New plan. Until there is more help available on the help desk, I need to reduce the backlog more frequently.
Every Sunday (until more help is available) any ticket that is older than 7 days will be deleted. Feel free to reopen your ticket if it does get deleted, but keep this all in mind.
Best example will be right now. Any ticket that was created before April 7th is getting deleted. Next Sunday (4/21) any ticket remaining from before today (4/14) will get deleted.
Again, sorry that this has to happen, but the backlog can't get worse than it is, and this is the only solution I've come up with so far.

Edit: Also, before opening a ticket, please remember to read the articles on the knowledgebase. If you post a ticket, and your problem can be solved by reading one of the articles, I will just forward you to said article.

Edit2: Please don't open tickets regarding "how-to" type questions. The mods and the launcher have a wiki, and those are the places to look about how to do something in the game.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Before posting a ticket, please read the Knowledgebase: http://desk.feed-the-beast.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/List
To prevent a backlog from generating, if your ticket can be answered by following instructions on the Knowledgebase, you will receive the following message
Please read through the Knowledgebase Articles available. Your problem is a common one, and there is an article on how to resolve this issue available.
Then I will close the ticket.

HerbertIzMe

Jul 29, 2019
You might want to look in to more mods to handle tickets. I mean, if you can't get to a ticket, you delete it... what kind of support is that.

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
You might want to look in to more mods to handle tickets. I mean, if you can't get to a ticket, you delete it... what kind of support is that.

There was a post somewhere not long ago looking for more support staff. Feel free to apply and find out how much fun it can be ;-).

HerbertIzMe

Jul 29, 2019
I do technical support for a living, own a company, and much more. There are plenty of people here that can provide support. Most of them are taking this community backwords. They want sponsors, they want to hold these pax east challenges. Thats great an all, but idk about most people, but I don't have the time or money to go enjoy a pax east events. I think it is absurd that instead of recognizing current issues, they instead push past and jump into new things.

That being said though, this community, staff, and thereof have never provided thorough support. They are very short, rude, and unwilling to listen to anyone. This community would run fine off donations alone. I make $1k a month off my server, after the server bills get payed, I send out cuts to developers. I would do the same for FTB for organizing but they failed to realize donations are an option and there are some of us who actually profit off this.

I hope this is taken with a grain of salt, but I hate that this community is going in a very anti-community direction. I hate to say it, but tekkit has invented the devil.

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
I was just replying to state that they were actually looking for help. If you felt strongly enough about the issue that you needed to post I figured you'd be interested in applying. I also used to work in tech support, and as I've said before I won't be applying.

Also, if you read the posts where they are closing tickets, they're closing tickets where someone hasn't responded to a request for more information within a set period of time. Not standard practice to do this so quickly, sure, but imho it's understandable under the circumstances.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
First off, I'm a volunteer. I don't have to do it at all. At which point, the help desk may as well close as I'm really the only one doing anything on it since everyone else is busy with other FTB related things. I am in no way a member of the Feed the Beast team, as much shit as I pick up from the product. All I do is help. I enjoy helping people, because of that I was offered the opportunity to work on the help desk. So I took it.
Secondly, if a ticket hasn't gotten a response after 7 days, I'd like to hope that whoever posted it may have found a solution to their problem.
Thirdly, most tickets don't even need to be posted. I have added and edited the articles on the Knowledgebase so that nearly every single launcher and modpack problem (that I know of, and can help with) is addressed.
Fourth, I listen to the concerns of the people who are posting. I cannot however give every single person the time to pay attention to every little concern. That's what the Knowledgebase is for, and the feedback section of these forums.
Fifth, Feed the Beast in no way makes any money off of the developers. If you wish to donate, donate directly to the developers.
Finally, sixth, this community is only as negative as the people who voice the negativity. If you take the time to look at all that's been created, all that's been accomplished, and all of the good that happens within the community, you would think otherwise.

Also, if you read the posts where they are closing tickets, they're closing tickets where someone hasn't responded to a request for more information within a set period of time. Not standard practice to do this so quickly, sure, but imho it's understandable under the circumstances.
I really hate the fact that I had to create this article to explain to people how to use the desk. That being said, any ticket I respond to, if I don't get a response back from the poster after 48 hours, I close the ticket. There are an average of 100 tickets posted a day. I can usually respond to about 100. That leaves the current backlog at approximately 300 tickets. Of those 300, there are approximately 50 tickets which, in the last month or so, I have attempted to answer, but have been unable to. Those 50 or so I have surrendered with the (so far) empty promise that someone else may be able to help them. As for new tickets, if after 7 days I haven't been able to get your ticket, it gets deleted. I hope that after a week, the poster has found a solution. If not, they can resubmit their ticket, and hopefully I can get to it the next time.
As the only person actually dedicating time to the help desk on a daily basis (I try to spend at least an hour on the help desk every day) I need to do something to make it easier.
When I see a ticket on the help desk, and see a thread on the forums posted by the same user name, regarding the same problem, usually containing the same information, I don't answer those tickets. There are more people on the forums every day, that have a wider knowledgebase than I do. If I don't know how to answer a ticket, I surrender it to the others who do sometimes have the chance to answer a ticket.

{{Edit: As for this:
I think it is absurd that instead of recognizing current issues, they instead push past and jump into new things.
No matter how much the modpack team bug tests and configures, the users will ALWAYS find new problems. Whether it's simply due to user error or they honestly tried to break a perfectly working thing or something was missed along the way, the user will always find new problems. And that's where I come in. I find new solutions and workarounds on a user based level. If you don't like the speed at which I do this, or the little amount I'm able to actually accomplish, then you can apply to help me. If you don't do that, then don't complain when I have to mass delete things I (one person, with a job and family to take care of) simply cannot get to. }}

Lastly, I am only posting changes on this thread because I realize not everyone follows me on twitter (my preferred method of reporting these changes). I did not post on this thread to get into an argument as to how poorly I'm able to keep up with the desk on my own.

Reactions: Booker The Geek

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Due to the negative responses I've been getting regarding my timeliness in answering tickets, I am purging the current tickets again.
Any ticket that is currently not claimed (yes, this will include tickets that I have surrendered) will be purged.
For further clarification, I posted this tweet last night. It links to this Tumblr post I had made earlier in the night.
As I have not been provided with any alternative to purging the help desk tickets, I will be doing so tonight.
I cannot control the lack of help I have received working on the help desk. I do not have control over the lack of people willing to help on it.
This is the only thing I can honestly control, that I believe will better my ability to provide timely responses to the users posting.

Please read the Knowledgebase articles before posting. There are presently 36 articles that are available for you to read and gain information from.

(FYI: Desk is now purged, it took 13 minutes to completely purge the help desk)

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Also, for any new ticket I see that can be answered via a ticket on the Knowledgebase:
I will provide you with the answer you need, then link you to the article the explains it, or provides the steps.

Status
Not open for further replies.