Super Low Lag Octuple Compressed Cobblestone Generator

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
Full Overview and Explanation
Generates 1 octuple compressed cobblestone every 13 hours using 0RF/t and 23 microseconds of processor time
EYNVQoH.png

This morning I decided to see if Steve's Factory Manager might make a better (lower lag) solution to compressing cobblestone up to octuple compressed. I liked the idea of eliminating cyclic compressors since each one that is continuously crafting cobblestone to compressed cobblestone takes around 600 microseconds on my computer. My old setup used 3 of those feeding a chain that went from double up to octuple. All told it consumed around 40RF/tick and around 3,000 microseconds of processor time to update the tile entities.

The inventory manager crafts at an absolute blistering pace far outpacing even cyclic assemblers. Better, it takes no power and virtually no processor time. I've gotten my cobble-a-tron down to a 3x3x1 blockspace, 0 RF/tick, and 23 microseconds of processor time. Another potentially laggy machine in my end game world trimmed down to almost nothing.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Generates 1 octuple compressed cobblestone every 13 hours using 0RF/t and 23 microseconds of processor time
EYNVQoH.png

This morning I decided to see if Steve's Factory Manager might make a better (lower lag) solution to compressing cobblestone up to octuple compressed. I liked the idea of eliminating cyclic compressors since each one that is continuously crafting cobblestone to compressed cobblestone takes around 600 microseconds on my computer. My old setup used 3 of those feeding a chain that went from double up to octuple. All told it consumed around 40RF/tick and around 3,000 microseconds of processor time to update the tile entities.

The inventory manager crafts at an absolute blistering pace far outpacing even cyclic assemblers. Better, it takes no power and virtually no processor time. I've gotten my cobble-a-tron down to a 3x3x1 blockspace, 0 RF/tick, and 23 microseconds of processor time. Another potentially laggy machine in my end game world trimmed down to almost nothing.

I also have a similar setup in my test world. only in my setup I have 4 nodes ejecting into a deep storage unit, each holding 5 stacks of world interaction upgrades and 48 speed upgrades.
ontop of the DSU is are 2 translocators with a chest ontop of that. the translocators are set to eject a stack of cobblestone each time (glowstone) and to keep 19 stacks of cobblestone in the chest (diamond nugget)
next to the chest is a factory manager set to autocrafting.

I'm doing it like this because the 4 nodes actually can produce cobblestone faster than the manager can craft them, so I have the nodes go into a DSU so if the manager can't keep up I can still store cobblestone.
I'm also doing this because if I only used a chest, the system could clog up if there wasn't enough inventory to craft new compressed blocks.
I also noticed the manager is quicker to craft items if the items are in the chest already instead of first taking the items out of the DSU and moving them to the chest before crafting them, so I'm using translocators to move stacks of cobblestone and to keep exactly 19 stacks of cobblestone in the chest (the other 8 slots are for the compressed blocks)

Reactions: ChemE

eXe

Jul 29, 2019
ChemE, I was poking around your imgur and looked through your other tutorials. I incorrectly assumed our ender-lily designs were the same but I was using the block detector to read the growth level of the ender-lily's. I wasn't aware that the block gate could detect what drops it would receive if it broke a plant. I semi-built your design in creative and this is what I came up with.

http://imgur.com/a/pxZt2

I was able to do away with the block detectors per your design, but also the item valve, as the block detectors can transfer to the caches/barrels. First condition checks for ender-lily, replants if false, next condition checks for ender-lily and pearl and harvests.

The third pic was just to show you how to squeeze a 5th growth accelerator in the mix. The item valve is perfect for that job, and I am glad to see someone else using it.

Thanks for sharing, I was pleasantly amused to see how our designs were so similar.

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
I also have a similar setup in my test world. only in my setup I have 4 nodes ejecting into a deep storage unit, each holding 5 stacks of world interaction upgrades and 48 speed upgrades.
ontop of the DSU is are 2 translocators with a chest ontop of that. the translocators are set to eject a stack of cobblestone each time (glowstone) and to keep 19 stacks of cobblestone in the chest (diamond nugget)
next to the chest is a factory manager set to autocrafting.

I'm doing it like this because the 4 nodes actually can produce cobblestone faster than the manager can craft them, so I have the nodes go into a DSU so if the manager can't keep up I can still store cobblestone.
I'm also doing this because if I only used a chest, the system could clog up if there wasn't enough inventory to craft new compressed blocks.
I also noticed the manager is quicker to craft items if the items are in the chest already instead of first taking the items out of the DSU and moving them to the chest before crafting them, so I'm using translocators to move stacks of cobblestone and to keep exactly 19 stacks of cobblestone in the chest (the other 8 slots are for the compressed blocks)

This is an awesome adaption and I certainly like having a DSU as a buffer since 4 maxed out transfer nodes can rapidly overwhelm and then jam a mis-progammed inventory manager. Adding a DSU and the translocators increases the entity tick time from 23ish microseconds to 110ish microseconds 80 of which is the translocators (they are pretty slow as far as mods go). Still, massively faster than the TE4 solution.

Regarding the inventory manager's ability to compress, mine doesn't have any trouble at all keeping up with four transfer nodes set up as you describe. My DSU bounces between around 500 and 0 even with 56 speed upgrades per transfer node. It isn't until 60 speed upgrades per transfer node that the inventory manager can't keep up and the DSU starts to build an inventory.

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
ChemE, I was poking around your imgur and looked through your other tutorials. I incorrectly assumed our ender-lily designs were the same but I was using the block detector to read the growth level of the ender-lily's. I wasn't aware that the block gate could detect what drops it would receive if it broke a plant. I semi-built your design in creative and this is what I came up with.

http://imgur.com/a/pxZt2

I was able to do away with the block detectors per your design, but also the item valve, as the block detectors can transfer to the caches/barrels. First condition checks for ender-lily, replants if false, next condition checks for ender-lily and pearl and harvests.

The third pic was just to show you how to squeeze a 5th growth accelerator in the mix. The item valve is perfect for that job, and I am glad to see someone else using it.

Thanks for sharing, I was pleasantly amused to see how our designs were so similar.

I could be mistaken but I believe when the ender-lilies generate the extra ender-lily seed (2% chance on ender cores) that that seed will not be picked up by the block gates and deposited into the barrels. At least in my testing I wasn't able to get the extras picked up with the block gates. I figured one item valve is less lag than having the entity hanging around for five minutes until it despawns. Still, if I'm wrong and you are picking up the extras I'd love to ditch the item valve!

eXe

Jul 29, 2019
I wasn't having any problems with it picking up everything when I tested it. Lily cache amount was rising, so I was getting the extra seed. The only time I was getting items on the floor with my previous design was when I forgot to specify to send only 1 lily to the block gate, it would plant one and throw the excess on the floor. I use empty blacklists other than that.

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
You are correct thanks eXe! I was trying to eliminate the 1 second unplanted state by immediately following the empty blacklist input of the block gate with a single ender-lily seed output to the block gate followed by an empty blacklist output to the barrels and for whatever reason that causes extra seeds to drop into the world. Still not really sure why that wouldn't work unless you can't split up the output of a single item ID like that but I'm happy to have eliminated the item valve!

eXe

Jul 29, 2019
http://imgur.com/lnfppiW

This is how you can remove the delay if you haven't figured it out already. This lets you remove the false side of the first condition as well as the flow after they are initially planted or just simply plant them yourself at the start. It's what I initially did, and was doing before, but I was trying to emulate your setup.

As far as what you were trying to do, I don't think you can chain 2 outputs in a row like that. You maybe could have had one output with a multi-selection of the block gate and the barrel, but I am not sure how you would have prioritized the block gate. My way just puts them all in the barrel and pulls one back out to plant immediately after harvesting.

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
Slick, you are clearly better with SFM than I am. It hadn't occured to me to use a flow to branch directly into that side of the condition. Thanks eXe!

Reactions: eXe

James110508

Jul 29, 2019
I attempted to replicate this, but I cannot get the second trigger sequence to activate. It compresses down to double compressed but won't proceed to the third, any ideas on why?

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
I attempted to replicate this, but I cannot get the second trigger sequence to activate. It compresses down to double compressed but won't proceed to the third, any ideas on why?

All the inputs, excess inventories, and outputs for the second trigger are pointing at the chest right? And the trigger is using an interval of five seconds? If so I'm not sure what would be preventing its execution. One thing to try would be changing the first flow to be five outputs and then tie the third output to the input of the right hand flow. If that still doesn't work then there is something invalid in the right hand branch that is causing its commands to be ignored.

James110508

Jul 29, 2019
That's funny, I just redid it with 5 outputs first and 2 outputs as second, and it looks like it's working now =)! I'll monitor its progress to make sure it is functioning properly. Thanks for the timely response, I am enjoying your contributions!

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
Glad it is working for you! I've personally had one experience where changing the order of commands that should not matter but did. Perhaps it is just my lack of expertise with SFM.

eXe

Jul 29, 2019
Did the chest happen to be full when it stopped working? If it doesn't have a slot to place the crafting result in, it won't craft. I have had this happen to me and it wouldn't restart even after clearing the chest out. I had to break, replace, and redo the functions from scratch. I typically use 2 chests now, one to catch from the cobble-gen and another to handle the crafting. I also don't attach the triggers until I have several iterations of compressing setup.

James110508

Jul 29, 2019
Glad it is working for you! I've personally had one experience where changing the order of commands that should not matter but did. Perhaps it is just my lack of expertise with SFM.
Yeah it's funny how doing it in a different sequence changed everything and made it work.

Did the chest happen to be full when it stopped working? If it doesn't have a slot to place the crafting result in, it won't craft. I have had this happen to me and it wouldn't restart even after clearing the chest out. I had to break, replace, and redo the functions from scratch. I typically use 2 chests now, one to catch from the cobble-gen and another to handle the crafting. I also don't attach the triggers until I have several iterations of compressing setup.
I can't be sure, but this is a possibility but I do remember removing cobble to give it space and it didn't start up. Maybe it would have been better to stop the cobblestone input until I had the correct triggers setup.

rGKrd5g.png

This is the current build I'm using to produce octuple compressed in a single diamond chest from "Iron Chests" mod. The top-left trigger is producing compressed-quintuple, the top-right is producing sextuple-septuple, and the bottom-middle is finalizing it with octuple. I love this thread for making my life so much easier :)

Darkone84

Jul 29, 2019
I did more or less the same thing with SFM for making octuple compressed cobble. The only difference I did was only use one trigger set to 5sec and have each stage in its own command group with nodes in and out of each stage. I ended up with 43 Commands.
My question does having extra trigger in SFM effect the microseconds of processor time?

James110508

Jul 29, 2019
I did more or less the same thing with SFM for making octuple compressed cobble. The only difference I did was only use one trigger set to 5sec and have each stage in its own command group with nodes in and out of each stage. I ended up with 43 Commands.
My question does having extra trigger in SFM effect the microseconds of processor time?
I am not entirely sure, but I would assume the more actions and triggers you give a machine through commands, the more the server has to process at a given time. I could be entirely wrong but I would imagine the more you tell something to do the more it has to process the request and complete the action. Could try opening opis control panel and create the two different setups and see though.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
EYNVQoH.png

Very VERY nice :D