Struggling with I.E Squeezer...

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
Hi All,

I'm fairly deep into Immersive Engineering, but have hit a problem.

I am struggling to keep my diesel generator working, the problem is the squeezer, namely trying to
get enough fruit/wheat/canes into it fast enough to produce enough ethanol to feed the refinery to
keep the generator going.

I even went to the length of creating an MFR wheat farm with a +10 upgrade, whilst it's huge, the
MFR machines take a long, long time to scan this large farm.

End result, I am now completely rethinking power generation, especially given that the diesel
generator only generates just over 1,000RF/Tick, meaning it would take several of these to keep the
excavator going.

I either need to find a way to significantly improve my fruit/wheat yield or look at alternatives to
the generator for power, which is a bit of a shame given it took so many resources to build.

Any tips are most appreciated :)

-Wuffle

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Depends heavily on the modpack you're using. MFR is kind of inefficient. Your best answer is probably multiple overlapping harvesters if you want to go that route. Alternately, you'll want to shut down your generator, and use fluid tanks to store up some Biodiesel. Alternately, you might consider the industrial hemp solution.

Playing Modular Mayhem, we discovered the fastest way to fuel a generator was actually to break the tops of a field of industrial hemp with block breakers. Granted, those were the far more fuel efficient Advanced Generators ones, but the principle applies. Terrain Smashers, or anything that picks up the stuff after it drops are best, but if it kicks the items off to be picked up by vacuum hopper works as well. Breaking the bottom gets you more seeds, but means you have to replant. Breaking the top means you only have to wait for them to regrow. Tile accelerators like Open Blocks Sprinklers, will rapidly increase yield.

Mostly we ended up with timer activated Magneticraft block breakers. They'd chop down 16 plants and eject the seeds and hemp fiber out to be converted to ethanol. The same trick works with sugar canes.

Alternately, DrRageHard on Youtube had an entirely vanilla setup during his surviving with series.

Reactions: WuffleFluffy

DanteDarkstar

Jul 29, 2019
You probably meant Seed Oil, not Ethanol, as that's what seeds in squeezer make.
1. If one machine with +10 range can't keep up with the huge crop area, just make 4 machines with +5 range, so that they have 4 times less crops to take care of each.
2. Grow Industrial Hemp, not Wheat. It produces 50% more seed oil per seeds and grows fast (side effect - zounds of string, which can be made into wool too). From my experience with hemp, it grows faster than wheat, and so should yield possibly almost double the seed oil (faster growth+more oil/seed) per area unit of the farm.

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
My apologies people!

I got my machines mixed up...

It was the FERMENTER I was having problems with, but I fixed the supply issues :) Now I have massive volumes of wheat for my fermenter...I'm now voiding the sludge to avoid the
penalty on the Harvester for having a full internal sludge tank.
2016-04-26_21.13.35.png

Same on other side with the supply of Hemp Seeds for my SQUEEZER.

But I've discovered something ...

I have a IE tank for Ethanol and Plant Oil.. My Machines have filled the tanks for Ethanol and Plant Oil.

My refiner filled up two tanks of BioDiesel for my single IE Diesel Generator.

But my tanks were slowly running dry!

Why? Then I realised that my IE Fuel Refinery - even when constantly supplied with power and the Ethanol and Plant Oil
simply 'Cannot keep up with the demand from my Diesel Generator' ...

Major Sad Face and a very unhappy Wuffle Puppy indeed :(

I am determined to get this damned thing running, one way or another so I am going to see if I can build another refinery.

Sheesh, this IE is a lot of work! And I need 4k RF/Tick to run the big Excavator.

Should I persevere with this or move onto that magic bacon thing I keep reading about for power?

-Wuffle

DanteDarkstar

Jul 29, 2019
In my Infinity play I power Excavator only periodically from a resonant energy cell (TE). When it runs out, I plug it to charge from my standard boiler+steam dynamos (will need to upgrade to turbine someday) till it's full, when it gets plugged to excavator again. It takes 10 or more times longer to charge, but one "run" of resonant cell yields several stacks of iron ore (currently set excavator on magnetite).
You don't really need to run excavator non-stop.
If you don't want to/can't use TE, just use several HE capacitors, turn the excavator online when they are full and turn it off when they run out (I don't know if vanilla comparator can read IE capacitors, but for sure it can read TE cells; I think there are some BC gate conditions too, but not sure). Repeat till drowned in ore.

As for the refinery not keeping up with generator - I wouldn't know, I didn't build the generator yet. But from what I seen the IE config explanations, if generator did give 4096RF/t, it would chug fuel 4 times as fast as it does producing 1024RF/t. So the "nerf" is more like throttling than efficiency nerf.

B

Barsik_The_CaT

25x25 MFR farm with 5 rows of pumpkins and 20 rows of sugarcane, pumpkins are being autocrafted into seeds in the cyclic assembler. Refinery does not keep up with squeezer and fermenter and the amount of biodiesel is enough to feed 2 diesel generators.

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
25x25 MFR farm with 5 rows of pumpkins and 20 rows of sugarcane, pumpkins are being autocrafted into seeds in the cyclic assembler. Refinery does not keep up with squeezer and fermenter and the amount of biodiesel is enough to feed 2 diesel generators.

Oohh, sounds like a good idea :)

Do you have a screenie of the layout? Is a planter needed? or is the harvester at ground +1 level? Multiple harvesters?

Thanks!

-Wuffle

B

Barsik_The_CaT

Oohh, sounds like a good idea :)

Do you have a screenie of the layout? Is a planter needed? or is the harvester at ground +1 level? Multiple harvesters?

Thanks!

-Wuffle
Nothing too special -
y13jLCb
- just a 25x25 area with maxed out agricraft seeds - 5 rows of pumpkins and 20 rows of sugarcane. I did not bother with putting another harvester because a refinery does not keep up with this farm anyway.

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
Hi All,

Thanks to everyone for all of your helpful advice, I took all advice on board and swapped out my wheat farm for something else..

MELONS :)

It's been a couple of weeks but after a fair bit of messing around I finally got around to a 20 x 20 something field of melons.

I was STUNNED at just how much stuff this farm produces with agricraft sprinklers.

Vast numbers of melons, which are also used to auto craft into seeds to keep the squeezer going.

There is so much stuff going that I am can now powering my bio-diesel generator 24 x 7 and pour excess material into an IC2 scrap
machine to start making UU fluid for later use.

2016-05-17_20.37.00.png 2016-05-17_20.38.53.png

Now that basic raw material is sorted out, it's time to build more bio generators and then... power THIS bad boy.

2016-05-17_20.40.45.png

Then i can make enough material to finish.. THIS!

2016-05-17_20.42.42.png 2016-05-17_20.43.13.png

I need more stuff... to make.. more stuff... to store.. more stuff ;-)

I love modded minecraft!

-Wuffle