Request Stopping players from punching trees?

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

420Kebab1337

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a mod or some sort of mod configuration one can set to raise the harvest level of all trees so that the player MUST use an axe in order to harvest trees instead of doing the samey old punching trees? I'm currently creating my own modpack, and I am looking to make it somewhat unique and using some other lesser known mods, I've got a rough idea on how the start of the modpack will look. However, for this to work, the player cannot harvest wood with their bare hands.

Thanks in advance!

420Kebab1337

Jul 29, 2019
Have a look at regrowth, there's a custom start there that lets you craft tinker's construct tools and weapons out of flint in your inventory.
With that you can give players the starting tool that they need for this alternate start.

Then have a look at agrarian skies 2. Notice that the more exotic woods, the ones in the nether from natura, the greatwood and silverwood from thaumcraft are all raised so they require higher then punching to break and drop. (though you'll need to give them sticks from somewhere)

With those two bits of knowledge (Not that I know them, I just know where to look), you should be able to bend the game sufficiently to your will to cause this start.

Sorry but I'm not sure I understand what you mean. I want players to not be able to break trees without an axe at all.

DracoScythem

Jul 29, 2019
This answer probably comes very late, but... better late then never I suppose:
First of, making trees litarally unbreakable (as in: bedrock-unbreakable) is not possible with any tools I know (and would most likely require ASM-Hacking to the WoodenLog Blocks).
Still, the MineTweaker Addon MTUtils supports for the change of Harvest-Levels and Tool requirements - you could set the tool to 'axe' and the mining level to 1 - as a result trees could still be broken,
but should no longer drop anything (you might have to play with the drop-overriding to get it working too... never had the need to use it like that before) :)

Rebirth Gaming

Jul 29, 2019
Check out Better Beginnings. It enforces proper tool usage for many early game material, especially trees.

The way BB handles this is if a player punches a tree, the log will reappear and the player will suffer damage. The player can try punching the tree again - this time the log will break, but won't drop any logs, and they will suffer damage again. Additionally, the time it takes to break the log is increased.

So, it takes two tries to break anything by hand, but you will never get any drops from doing so, and you lose health.

BB adds some early game survival tools, like flint and bone hatchets, which is how you need to chop down your first trees. Or, you can just use BB's minetweaker/recipe editor support to modify how you want to handle early game tools.

H

Hedgehog1024

Sorry for necroposting, but I have a proper answer.
It looks like Harvest tweaks is exactly what you need. It's description says "You can set a tool for blocks that usually don't require a tool to harvest, like wooden logs or planks. Those blocks simply wont get any break progress when trying to be broken without the tool." However, I haven't tested it yet so I can't say if it is working or not.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Sorry for necroposting, but I have a proper answer.
It looks like Harvest tweaks is exactly what you need. It's description says "You can set a tool for blocks that usually don't require a tool to harvest, like wooden logs or planks. Those blocks simply wont get any break progress when trying to be broken without the tool." However, I haven't tested it yet so I can't say if it is working or not.
I don't think this is too much of a necro, its less than a month since the last post, and the post you've made is very helpful and useful! I'm going to look into this myself, cheers @Hedgehog1024!