Stop world Generation 1.6.4

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

xKazlyn

Jul 29, 2019
Hello, I was wondering if there was a way to stop world generation at a certain point or to make the remainder of the world void.. My computer has alot of trouble running modded MC at times, and i dont have access to a server to take loading off its back; so im hoping limiting my world to 8x8 chunk size would help, since i have no problems playing skyblock maps like AG. And ill be mining in the Deep dark or mystcraft age using ender quarry only, any help would be greatly appreciated :)

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
There is no real performance impact to having a large explored world. None of it is going to be loaded unless you are there or placed chunkloaders there. The biggest source of loaded chunks is always the player which keeps 441 chunks loaded by default. I know on servers there is the choice of changing the player chunkloading radius, which will drastically lower the number of chunks loaded(its a quadratic function of the radius after all). But not sure how to do so in singleplayer, if at all possible.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
All those chunks would do is consume more storage memory. If they are not loaded, they aren't contributing to the consumption of RAM/processing resources.

If you want to improve your frame rates, utilizing builds that reduce lag (less things moving in itemducts, block/lighting update reductions, etc.) or installing optimization mods, such as Optifine are your options.

Also, using proper JVM arguments tends to raise 10-20 FPS, from my experience.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
All of the above are excellent suggestions. Out of curiosity (and courtesy to the OP) is there an actual answer to the inquiry? Can a world be restricted to a specific size? (After thinking this through, it would actually give him the freedom to wander to the edges of the area without new chunks loading.)

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
There is no real performance impact to having a large explored world. None of it is going to be loaded unless you are there or placed chunkloaders there. The biggest source of loaded chunks is always the player which keeps 441 chunks loaded by default. I know on servers there is the choice of changing the player chunkloading radius, which will drastically lower the number of chunks loaded(its a quadratic function of the radius after all). But not sure how to do so in singleplayer, if at all possible.
Chunks are loaded in sp by whatever your viewing distance is at.

Reactions: rhn

xKazlyn

Jul 29, 2019
All those chunks would do is consume more storage memory. If they are not loaded, they aren't contributing to the consumption of RAM/processing resources.

If you want to improve your frame rates, utilizing builds that reduce lag (less things moving in itemducts, block/lighting update reductions, etc.) or installing optimization mods, such as Optifine are your options.

Also, using proper JVM arguments tends to raise 10-20 FPS, from my experience.
Could you direct me to these jvm args and how to implement them? Would be greatly appreciated.

xKazlyn

Jul 29, 2019
You can sort of limit the world in the TiC config file. You can put up a world border after a certain amount of blocks

Sent from my Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System using Tapatalk
I tried this,i think it only works on newly generated worlds, since i was able to go outside my set limits.

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
Could you direct me to these jvm args and how to implement them? Would be greatly appreciated.
Hey, my friend @Qazplm601 (who is not a god) has some updated JVM ARGs that work wonders:
new version of my JVM ARGS. slightly faster than the previous version. (on average for me,
with optimods(optifine/fps+) up 0-40 fps faster than V1

without optimods, up 30-70 fps.

these tests were on MC 1.6.4 , forge 965, no other mods (except optimods)

new args.

-XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=8 -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=0 -XX:+CICompilerCountPerCPU -XX:+TieredCompilation -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:+UseStringCache -XX:+UseNUMA -XX:+UseFastAccessorMethods -XX:+BindGCTaskThreadsToCPUs -XX:+UseCMSInitiatingOccupancyOnly -XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=50 -XX:NewRatio=2 -XX:SurvivorRatio=2 -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=80 -XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=8 -XX:GCPauseIntervalMillis=150 -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=40 -XX:MaxGCMinorPauseMillis=7 -XX:+OptimizeStringConcat -XX:+ExplicitGCInvokesConcurrentAndUnloadsClasses -XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled -Xnoclassgc -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -XX:+UseAdaptiveGCBoundary -XX:UseSSE=3

Reactions: Kill-Joy

xKazlyn

Jul 29, 2019
go into the options tab,(the gears one) and at the bottom click advanced options, then paste all the args into aditional java paramaters.
Oh that's how you do it, i thought you needed to make a file or something.. i know you needed to for vanilla, or at least did at 1 point.that solves alot of confusion. Thanks :)

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, my friend @Qazplm601 (who is not a god) has some updated JVM ARGs that work wonders:

Im going to try this one next time I play. Ive had great success with this one:
Code:
XX:PermSize=256m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled

So I will just add your arguments onto it.