Steve's Carts "Easter" egg? (Spoilers maybe?)

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
So with the recent Magic Pack update, I noticed zombies dropping "Stolen Gifts." This was a little perplexing and I wasn't sure at first what mod was doing it at first. After comparing IDs though, I found it was grouped in with Steve's Carts stuff. It took me a little bit of digging and cross-referencing to get a decent idea of what was going on, but... I think I've found most of the information now. I can't actually tell if this is supposed to be an Easter egg or not, but I'm seeing no announcement of Christmas content, so I suppose it is. Personally though I find the process a little too convoluted and buried for all but very stubborn people to try and figure out without help, so... here's what I found out:

Stolen Gifts are dropped by zombies and perhaps by other overworld hostile mobs as well. These by themselves are useless. You have to either find a Christmas Villager in a newly generated town, or if that isn't doable, you have to craft a "Warm Hat" to turn a normal villager into one with a diamond, six red wool, and one white wool. Kind of expensive for this. You have to hand over three of these gifts to get one sheet of Green Wrapping Paper.
Red Wrapping Paper is dropped from Blazes.
A Stuffed Sock is obtained by going to sleep with a Sock.

NEI will tell you the rest, but this scavenger hunt allows you to craft a new mid-tier side-storage called "Gift Storage." I haven't got that far and tried it out myself, but the wiki says something unclear about getting random gifts when placing the cart for the first time. Anyone happen to know what that bit means?

IDave_the_Rave

Jul 29, 2019
I got a stolen present today after killing a creeper. And after a couple of minutes of searching I found this:

Gory_Moon

Oct 30, 2012
NEI will tell you the rest, but this scavenger hunt allows you to craft a new mid-tier side-storage called "Gift Storage." I haven't got that far and tried it out myself, but the wiki says something unclear about getting random gifts when placing the cart for the first time. Anyone happen to know what that bit means?
When you place the cart down it will have some items in it as gifts for you, so by making this you get free items.
There is often some modules and some vanilla items, you can even get a "Gift Storage" in it.

Billa2720

Jul 29, 2019
is the gift cart also part of Steve's carts or another mod? I made one and not sure what it does. I am a little concerned it is made with gunpowder. :)

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
That's Railcraft. I've not really looked at that one at all yet, only saw it briefly in a SOTMead video.

Billa2720

Jul 29, 2019
So far I just linked it to my patrol cart.
Killer gift!.png

Billa2720

Jul 29, 2019
Tested it in creative mode. running it over an active primer rail will light it, and when it explodes it will leave gifts. on the low end was a piece of coal, on the high end I got a diamond sword. Also potions, gold nuggets and bars. might be useful if you have a stockpile of emeralds.

Mageleon

Jul 29, 2019
THANK YOU ! got like 10 stacks of present and 1 stackish of each wrapping paper ;) finally can actually get rid of them haha

Billa2720

Jul 29, 2019
So, you can take gifts out of them, and then explode them to get even more gifts... Cool.
the gift storage is different from the gift cart. The cart is from railcraft and you don't get anything untill you explode it. Find the cart by searching for uses of, emeralds or gunpowder.

macks2008

Jul 29, 2019
so the presents aren't COMPLETELY useless... but you have to be lucky enough to find a Christmas villager... or else spend a diamond