Steam'dustry

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord
L

Liv3ry

B30Yp6m.png

Post updated May 14, 2016

The project, much what its name says, is a technical Modpack based on steam.
In fact, this will be the only source of energy available.
The Modpack provides dell'HQM this book.
We have 95 quests for now!

At the time the mods are present:
  • Advanced Generators
  • AgriCraft
  • BD Lib
  • Big Reactors
  • Boilerplate
  • BrassUtils
  • Carpenter's Blocks
  • CodeChickenCore
  • CoFH Core
  • Custom Main Menu
  • EnderCore
  • Ender Storage
  • Extra Utilities
  • Flaxbeard's Steam Power
  • Hardcore Questing Mod
  • Jabba
  • Mantle
  • Minefactory Reloaded
  • MineTweaker 3
  • Not Enough Items
  • OpenBlocks
  • OpenMods
  • Railcraft
  • Random Things
  • Steamcraft 2
  • Thermal Dynamics
  • Thermal Foundation
  • Realistic World Gen Aplha
  • Tinker's Consturuct
  • Tinkers' Mechworks
  • Version Checker
  • VoxelMap
  • Waila
  • Waila Plugins

Screenshot:
Custom Menu:

AJEX51v.png

A HQM's Page:

QHD9jxj.png

Do you have any advice?

I update the post with the news

Regards, Liv.

Last edited:
C

caligator

so youve totally removed RF from the pack? how does that work out with railcraft? doesnt all of its machines run on RF produced via steam fueled engines?

Reactions: Azzanine

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
so youve totally removed RF from the pack? how does that work out with railcraft? doesnt all of its machines run on RF produced via steam fueled engines?
How did you come to this conclusion by the OP? Removes RF? Where does it say that?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Reactions: caligator
C

caligator

The project, much what its name says, is a technical Modpack based on steam.
In fact, this will be the only source of energy available.

o xo sounded that way-- perhaps I am mistaken? regardless I am very curious to this pack however. I adore steampunk aesthetic~

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
The only mod in your list that seems out of place is BigReactors. Even though you can turn a turbine with RC steam I see players defaulting to passive reactors kind of going against the aesthetic.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
The only mod in your list that seems out of place is BigReactors. Even though you can turn a turbine with RC steam I see players defaulting to passive reactors kind of going against the aesthetic.

I sort of assumed passive reactors would be disabled (which is a simple matter to do)

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I sort of assumed passive reactors would be disabled (which is a simple matter to do)
That might feel a bit strange, I know you can craft the cyanite from sand and yellorium but how do you get the blutonium for the turbine controller?
I guess you could tweak it so those materials weren't a thing but surely there's a better alternative, a mod with a dedicated purpose built steam turbine mutitblock?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
That might feel a bit strange, I know you can craft the cyanite from sand and yellorium but how do you get the blutonium for the turbine controller?
I guess you could tweak it so those materials weren't a thing but surely there's a better alternative, a mod with a dedicated purpose built steam turbine mutitblock?

I can only speak from experience on another pack. In that case you had two options:
1) Obtain it as a byproduct from processing the yellorite
2) Obtain it by running your passive reactor which doesn't produce power.

The key to 2 was that the passive reactor as a whole isn't gone, only the power tap. So you can still process yellorium through it so long as you don't mind doing it for zero power output.

(2) doesn't apply really well here thematically. Nor does the existence of radioactive materials even make a ton of sense. So the "best" solution is probably to completely dodge the problem and minetweak the turbine recipes to use something besides blutonium.

Reactions: Azzanine

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I can only speak from experience on another pack. In that case you had two options:
1) Obtain it as a byproduct from processing the yellorite
2) Obtain it by running your passive reactor which doesn't produce power.

The key to 2 was that the passive reactor as a whole isn't gone, only the power tap. So you can still process yellorium through it so long as you don't mind doing it for zero power output.

(2) doesn't apply really well here thematically. Nor does the existence of radioactive materials even make a ton of sense. So the "best" solution is probably to completely dodge the problem and minetweak the turbine recipes to use something besides blutonium.
Actually I'd probably search for an alternative if one exists for a steam turbine. Because it's like buying jelly doughnuts to squeeze on to a layer cake. Seems pointless unless there is no alternative.

If of course there is no alternative then tweaking the hell out of BigReactors might be the way to go.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Agreed. Its hard to beat BigReactors turbines for pure visual impact, but its hard to justify having them if you're not also going to have the reactors themselves (and therefore energy from fission).

C

caligator

Agreed. Its hard to beat BigReactors turbines for pure visual impact, but its hard to justify having them if you're not also going to have the reactors themselves (and therefore energy from fission).

I like BR, but yea... looking at the mod list I cant tell what the mod should be used for. its mid to late game power gen and the only energy thirsty thing they seem to have is IC2. I know flaxbeards works on pure steam, and railcraft's power demands are minuscule at best compared to most tech mods (5kRF per rail processed, 1 (char)coal produces somewhere around 25kRF in the weakest steam engine for RC, etc)

Iunno... OP, what exactly are you wanting to do with most of this? I would think forestry would be more steamy aesthetically than IC2 and BR

L

Liv3ry

Thanks for the answers.
I create a recipe for blutonium.
As for the aesthetics of the BR Turbine I see what I can do to change the texture.
How about?
Regards, Liv.

C

caligator

Thanks for the answers.
I create a recipe for blutonium.
As for the aesthetics of the BR Turbine I see what I can do to change the texture.
How about?
Regards, Liv.

erm, still doesnt answer about what you were doing with RF. also are you reconfiguring railcraft steam to be compatable with flaxbeards? in general I really am having a bit of issue seeing what the direction you wanna put this pack in beyond a handfull of tech thats loosely related. o xo;

L

Liv3ry

I do not think it's possible. The vapor of flaxbeard's not intended as an object, it is not tangible.

Anyway, at first I thought about turning the "RF" in "Steam", but it's too complicated to do.

Rebirth Gaming

Jul 29, 2019
Heads up - there's a mod called Steamcraft2 that should work nicely with this pack.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...steamcraft2-05-07-2015-beta-5-0-1-laaaaaatice

Between this mod, Flaxbeard's and Railcraft, the steam should be interchangeable. They all use Forge's fluid registry steam. To convert steam from Flaxbeard's to other mods, you have to use a special pipe that converts it to Forge's steam. From there, you can extract it and store it in a tank or whatever, and use it for Railcraft and SC2.

Here ya go. This is it in action:

Flaxbeard's producing steam:
nu6yHjf.png

Steam is converted using the pressure converter. Had to use a liquid transfer node to 'extract' the steam from the converter and put it in a tank. I'm sure other liquid pipes will work.

hxcounv.png

Steam is then inserted into both a Railcraft turbine, and a Steamcraft2 turbine, to produce RF.

9TAuXeS.png

Juvgt1G.png

Good luck!

Last edited:
L

Liv3ry

Heads up - there's a mod called Steamcraft2 that should work nicely with this pack.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...steamcraft2-05-07-2015-beta-5-0-1-laaaaaatice

Between this mod, Flaxbeard's and Railcraft, the steam should be interchangeable. They all use Forge's fluid registry steam. To convert steam from Flaxbeard's to other mods, you have to use a special pipe that converts it to Forge's steam. From there, you can extract it and store it in a tank or whatever, and use it for Railcraft and SC2.

Here ya go. This is it in action:

Flaxbeard's producing steam:
nu6yHjf.png

Steam is converted using the pressure converter. Had to use a liquid transfer node to 'extract' the steam from the converter and put it in a tank. I'm sure other liquid pipes will work.

hxcounv.png

Steam is then inserted into both a Railcraft turbine, and a Steamcraft2 turbine, to produce RF.

9TAuXeS.png

Juvgt1G.png

Good luck!

Thank you very much for the advice of the transformation of steam.

I was already thinking about the Steamcraft 2, but not the latest version, it is not yet complete, lacking even some textures. Although the addition of whales is epic.

Rebirth Gaming

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you very much for the advice of the transformation of steam.

I was already thinking about the Steamcraft 2, but not the latest version, it is not yet complete, lacking even some textures. Although the addition of whales is epic.

Well, I would still test it out. Even if SC2 isn't 100% complete, it might still add enough variance alongside RC and Flax to give the pack a more robust steam powered theme. especially if you plan to use IE with it.

Also, look into the mod called Cogs of the Machine. It adds some very early game machines powered by kinetic force. It also adds a steam thingy, but doesn't use Forge's steam fluid, so it's not compatible with the other 3 mods. Still, having cog wheels to help run stuff is neat.

L

Liv3ry

I put that the only way to catch the water in automatic mode using both the Archimedes's screw. So you have to use the steam to take it. How about?

L

Liv3ry

I have updated the post.
I added some mods and I'm working for the quests (There are currently about 20)