Steam Power Tips and FAQ

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
-Liquiducts max steam transfer is way more then I was able to determine. Durring testing I had 8 HP Boilers all hooked up to a line of liquiducts all powering 144 Industrial Steam Engines, that’s 5760 Steam/t traveling through each liquiduct!

First, thanks for posting this info. I stayed away from steam for a while due to a bad first experience [no explosions, it was the valve limits with a Xycraft tank or liquiduct extract limits or both. I found this thread only after I had my bad experience, but using this info I'm now rockin' 6 36HP boilers powering 72 ISEs for my AE network and a planned Steam Oven.

Other than thanks, I just wanted to add that I think liquiducts, when extracting/powered [ie. red arrow on connection and redstone signal applied to move the liquid], have a transmission limit [I remember reading this somewhere, but can't find it ATM].

Edit: A reply in another thread got me the info I remembered...and when I read it I also remembered the flow limits might be related to the liquid contained, so the following might be useless:
Liquiduct input limits:
Unpowered - 100mb/t
Powered - 150mb/t

Last edited:

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
Your AE network is powered by 72 ISEs? I want to see a screenshot of your Controller UI :D

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Your AE network is powered by 72 ISEs? I want to see a screenshot of your Controller UI :D

Hehe. I've just started building my AE system, so not too much yet. A 5x5 MAC, many storage buses, cabling, and some assorted imports/exports. But I've plans to add maybe 1-2 quantum bridges for remote access to stores...and I've yet to setup my automated ore processing/crafting. Just covering the bases for later.

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Arggg...looks like I spoke too soon. Why do these things always happen to me. Decided to add another 4* HP36 boilers and another 72 ISEs [mostly for aesthetic reasons and I had the space] to power my future honeycomb hideout. As soon as I enabled that engine-line, ALL my engines dropped in production speed and the liquiducts servicing them were visible not full.

Here's my setup:
After my experience with the tank limits and not wanting to work within them, I decided to skip the tank altogether and just output/input the steam via tesseracts, with straight lines of liquiducts to the engines.

10 HP36 boilers powering 144 ISEs [yes, I know more boilers than needed but you'll see why], all connections are standard, with no loops in liquiduct piping. All boilers are producing steam and all engines are powered up at once.

The boilers output into a tesseract surrounded by liquiducts, so 9 boiler faces are outputting and 5 faces on the tesseract are receiving that output. Now here's where I think my problem is. I decided that all the tesseracts could share the same channel/frequency [without knowing internal tesseract working, this makes sense to me].

The receiving tesseract has 18 ISEs connected via a straight run of liquiduct per face, 4 faces used. By my reckoning, all 72 ISEs should be running at full power...but they're not.

So I decided to split the frequencies in 2. 36 ISEs on each frequency. Problem got worse, as in engines are performing even less.

I'm at a loss as to how I fix this without using a tank...hehe or is a tank required as buffer with everything being enabled at once? I'm confused as to why that would be required though, because back when it was just 6 boilers and 72 ISEs, all engines and liquiduct lines were full of steam and producing at 8MJ/t, and the boilers were also full.

Edit: Guess I missed the memo about liguiduct changes in 1.5... So, since I was using the tesseract extraction method from 1.4.7 on all my boilers, I guess that explains the 6 extra boilers weren't providing the steam required for my original 72 ISEs? Strange nerf. Bottom line, AE power is fixed and I'm moving on.

Last edited: