steam boilers

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Jamski

Jul 29, 2019
have a question about these, i had 4 high pressure boilers, all with 4 AA all run on fuel, each 1 has 8 indust steam engines, 4 turbines, 1 turbine 3000m+ away, none stop fuel and water supply then randomly today after it being on for almost 24hrs stright 1 just blew up. dont know how or why but wondering am i missing something that caused it to blow

Captain Neckbeard

Jul 29, 2019
Your water supply was somehow interrupted, the boiler ran dry, then water was re-introduced while the boiler was still hot. At least, that's the only way I know of for a boiler to explode. If you were mucking around with it, let your boiler cool down next time. If you weren't, check that the chunks supplying and transporting the water are loading properly. If they are, become a paranoid recluse and set boobytraps everywhere, you done been sabotaged.

Larroke

Jul 29, 2019
On the off chance ^what he said^ Plus.. don't use PUMPS for them, water regen can glitch out in an heartbeat and run your water supply dry. Use the Aqueous Accumulator from Thermal expansion instead for lag/glitch free water.

if any chunk along your water run become unloaded, it would have fubared the whole system. So absent a clearer picture of your setup just make sure to keep your water supply/all tubes and boilers in same loaded chunks. That'll should keep them from blowing up.

3000m away? I hope you're using a tesseract!

Reactions: ShneekeyTheLost

Jamski

Jul 29, 2019
yes sorry ill correct some stuff we were running 4 aqueous accumlator per a boiler ( 4 boilers in total] we are using tesseracts to pump liquid about apart from water , thats getting pump right below the boiler * platform we made*

Larroke

Jul 29, 2019
yes sorry ill correct some stuff we were running 4 aqueous accumlator per a boiler ( 4 boilers in total] we are using tesseracts to pump liquid about apart from water , thats getting pump right below the boiler * platform we made*

use 1 accumulator with a water source blocks on each side (4 total if you want to be overly cautious) for several/each boiler(s), no need to have 4 of them. If you don't have source blocks on them, I don't know if normal operation from the "air" is enough and might have been the problem.

Mikey_R

Jul 29, 2019
Since you are using tessaracts, I assume the water is coming from a distance, if so make sure the AA and the boilers are both in loaded chunks, if the AA aren't in loaded chunks, then the water supply will stop.

Jamski

Jul 29, 2019
erm its like this cobble platform with water with AA with water pipes pumping it up 4 blocks to boilers

Larroke

Jul 29, 2019
erm its like this cobble platform with water with AA with water pipes pumping it up 4 blocks to boilers

Do you have a water source block touching at least 2 sides of each accumulator? AAs produce water VERY slowly from the atmosphere (and I think in some biomes not at all), placing water source blocks against its faces increases this dramatically.

So long as that is the case you should be fine unless you're using stone WP piping or something silly (not tested). Using either gold WP or liquiducts will have enough flow for 1 Max HP boilers for sure, and quite possibly even more from a single accumulator.

So many questions on this, as the ONLY way for a boiler to blow up on its own is for it to go dry, and then get more water while its still hot.

Jamski

Jul 29, 2019
water source blocks touching all 4 sides of each AA , 4 AA per boiler, never went out of water, it blew after a while after placing more industrial steam engines and a super laser assembly room ps using liquid ducts to pump water around

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
You only need one Aqueous Accumulator for one boiler if you have two water sources (more than two doesn't make a difference) next to it. Have it directly touching the boiler under the firebox, no pipes. If you do it like that there is no way it would run out.

Another thing you should do is make sure the boiler is within one chunk and not on a border. Doesn't matter too much if you have it loaded with a chunk loader but still a good idea.

Larroke

Jul 29, 2019
water source blocks touching all 4 sides of each AA , 4 AA per boiler, never went out of water, it blew after a while after placing more industrial steam engines and a super laser assembly room ps using liquid ducts to pump water around

Ok, now this is different :) were the steam engnies directly on the boiler? Do you have a screenshot?

If so, Did you have the engines hooked up to pipes or conduits? I've never experienced it, but I have read an issue before where steam engines blow up when they ran out of somewhere to pump the energy. I didn't think it could happen, it was my understanding they scaled down their power output and shut down or locked up eventually when not needed, but your'e the second person who possibly has had this issue. Conduits supposedly completely eliminate this issue, as they will always act as a receiver and just dump excess naturally.

Again, the ONLY way boilers blow up is if they run dry of water, and then get it again while hot.... But if your engine blew up and took out part of your boiler with it, that could explain it. Energy pipes blowng up only seem to affect themselves and make some noise.

^See chunk advice from the guy above^

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
From the changelog of RailCraft:
Version 6.15.0.0 - (01-30-13)

CHANGE: Steam Engines no longer explode when their energy bar fills up, instead they "blow a valve" and get stuck until someone whacks them with a wrench/crowbar.

Also: Simply hooking the engines up to conduits instead of conductive pipes will make sure, that the engines will never overheat.

CaptainMoustache

Jul 29, 2019
This seems more likely, did an engine explode and not the entire boiler? The HP boilers make quite a boom when they do blow up, if it was just missing a few pieces it's more likely and engine blew up