Starting FTB with more RAM on 32 bit?? (Slider doesnt go above 1GB)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
You are. 32-bit Windows can access 4GB of memory (3.75GB roughly are usable).

Right but Java cannot use all available process memory because of the way the heap is organized. It also needs some machinery for the runtime and GC and the JIT loaded at all times. And I seem to recall... isn't Pre-7 Windows the one that only gives userspace access to like 2/3 the actual memory to speed up syscalls by keeping all that stuff resident in process? Or am I getting that confused with older linux?

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Yep, you're right. Derp. :p

No worries. A big part of the issue is the memory that'll end up being reserved for internal graphics, and the like.

Thankfully, 32-bit is nearly dead and buried!

Right but Java cannot use all available process memory because of the way the heap is organized. It also needs some machinery for the runtime and GC and the JIT loaded at all times. And I seem to recall... isn't Pre-7 Windows the one that only gives userspace access to like 2/3 the actual memory to speed up syscalls by keeping all that stuff resident in process? Or am I getting that confused with older linux?
I believe that is an older linux kernel issue, but I am not sure. I do know it isn't a Windows issue I've heard of as such.
And yes, Java can, at most, access 2GB of memory per process in 32-bit windows if I remember from my testing correctly.
I've found that it chokes after 1024MB though, so that is usually the best place to call the hard limit on 32-bit.
On the other hand, 64-bit Java handles 8Gb swimmingly.

Geometry

Jul 29, 2019
Can I install linux but still keep windows? Also i've heard its hard to install java stuff on linux :f
Yea, look up "How to dual boot" on Google. But if you don't understand it completely, I suggest not to do it since it can possibly mess up your system ;)

YooKahZee

Jul 29, 2019
You'd have to have a pretty old computer for it to not have any 64-bit support at all. Are you rocking a Cyrix-powered ugly stick?
Lool it is compatible (although it's... 7... years old XD) but no installation cd or anything :p[DOUBLEPOST=1362778192][/DOUBLEPOST]
Try mowing you neighbor's lawn for some extra cash ;) At least that's how I used to get my money :p
In the UK people aren't as awesome and don't let you do that xD

Geometry

Jul 29, 2019
Lool it is compatible (although it's... 7... years old XD) but no installation cd or anything :p[DOUBLEPOST=1362778192][/DOUBLEPOST]
In the UK people aren't as awesome and don't let you do that xD
I'm curious now...Would you mind posting your specs? :rolleyes:

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
On a 32bit system java is only allowed to use roughly 1.4 to 1.5 GB of RAM. The current launcher unfortunately doesn't work so well with 32 bit java and its memory settings. Thats why it is restriced and to prevent strange things from happening when you set the allocated RAM to the max allowed.

Reactions: Geometry and Guswut