Solved Starting a server...

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

mawsie

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, so I'm thinking of starting my own brand new server and I would like to ask the community for some of their opinions...

I would like your opinions on things such as: what makes a good server; what's a good spawn area; how many mod to player ratio should there be and other things like that.

Also what's a good slot amount to start with?

Any opinions and help will be greatly appreciated

- Mawsie

lisim

Jul 29, 2019
My point with the Let me Google That For you link is that if your new to minecraft servers in general you shoul probly learn the basics from the millions of guides you can fidn through google

mawsie

Jul 29, 2019
Can you show where in my post I said I am new to minecraft servers? I am asking for the opinions of others...?

lisim

Jul 29, 2019
All your questions TBH

i mean i know what I enjoy in a serer and i based all my servers off that,

lisim

Jul 29, 2019
If you build it they will come,

Dont panda to others needs, other wise you will be forever working for them be your own man!

Senmori

Jul 29, 2019
I would like your opinions on things such as: what makes a good server;

What makes a good server? The community. A close-knit, fun-loving community who enjoy getting on each and every day is what makes a good server.

what's a good spawn area
What makes a good spawn area? A spawn area, in my opinion, is something that catches the eye of new players, helps them get started on your server(with information and maybe even some basic tools), and is interesting enough to keep players coming to it even after they move away from it.

how many mod to player ratio should there be and other things like that.
How many mods to player ratio? Kind of hard to say, some people can handle more people than others. I'd say stick to a 20-25:1 ratio. It may seem like not much but that allows your players to feel like there is always someone to help them and it still takes a load off your shoulders.

Depends on your server, I'd say 20-25 on average. You can adjust depending on your server specs.

and other things like that.

Make a website(either yourself or through a website hosting service) that catches the players' eye and makes them want to visit it again. I like to use dynamic maps, even though they can eat up quite a bit of RAM if not set up properly, since it allows players to see their progress from a different perspective. One more thing I like to do is create a forum that has plenty of topics for players to discuss. Topics might range from tutorials, to a gallery to show off their builds, and maybe a place to talk about non-minecraft related stuff.

Source: A long history in servers and customer support.

Reactions: QueWhat

QueWhat

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, so I'm thinking of starting my own brand new server and I would like to ask the community for some of their opinions...

I would like your opinions on things such as: what makes a good server; what's a good spawn area; how many mod to player ratio should there be and other things like that.

Any opinions and help will be greatly appreciated

- Mawsie

The following is my own personal opinion and advise as a server owner, everyone thinks differently:

A good server:
  1. Has an active, friendly, and helpful community.
  2. Has active staff that does not abuse their Op powers and quickly resolve all issues.
  3. Is kept lag free most of the time and is online as much as possible.
  4. Ensures its own rules are followed.
A good spawn area:
  1. Has eye candy.
  2. Has plenty of USEFUL and INFORMATIVE signs clearly posted at start to help new players out with rules and other facts (such as /warp points and other commands).
  3. Has tutorials either via signs or actual demonstrations.
  4. Has either access to a Mystcraft teleport age or has a /spawn command.
  5. Matches with the server's theme.
How many mod to player ratio; no idea, I just use the Beta A pack for the server I run :D

Other things:
  1. Be careful who you give Op status to, make sure it is someone that wont abuse creative mode, I suggest using Fihgu's and creating a Moderator group which has access to only /kick and perhaps /ban. Recruit staff from your own community not from outside (thanks to GreedSeed for this advise).
  2. Be friendly with your players.
  3. You will have little time to actually play in the beginning, setting up and maintaining a server on your own is a lot of work. (I'm thankful to have an awesome group of staff members).
  4. Start small; 15 slots and 1 GB RAM should be enough (read below)
EDIT: Also, if you are going to host a server for the first time I recommend you use a hosting company such as CreeperHost or others out there. Unless if you have a capable rig setup and know-how of Linux etc..

Reactions: Bevo and Senmori

BeastCrafter

Jul 29, 2019
Since server is vanilla i dont believe in moderators without a pproper perms setup. I will never give op to any1. As for spawn area depends on how ur going, if you want a survival community that just wants to play fair dont make a nice fancy spawn, mines is the same spawn i started with. If you want a community where u moderate and have events and econ etc, things like regular bukkit servers thrn yea go for a nice looking spawn explainng rules and stuff. After that setup fihgu if u are worried bout griefs. I dont have fihgu setup, why? I prefer using the mods to teleport/ sethome etc. (link books). My rule is you grief, ur banned. So i dont need to worry about protection. Also i set my server to backup every 30m so if some1 griefs i just rollback to last half an hour. Dont feel like typing more atm but i hope that helps