Squid power problem

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
I wonder when they will fix being able to use any dye to make biofuel... like lapis

That is the real issue if i have understood the problem correctly. there are several items that share the same base ID, whereas some dyes like squid ink is should be bioreactable, while others like lapis should not. I'm Not a programmer, but there seems to be an issue with the bioreactor in regards to detecting witch one of the dyes that are put into the thing.
this issue is not only with ink sacs, but also other items that are used as dyes. including the flower colors. that means, that with something like redpower in the pack, it should be possible to feed the flowers and seeds from the insane darkroom item creator setup into a bioreactor.

makes me wonder... is there another item in unleashed that allows sucking items up from a large area automatically? bonemeal factory + darkroom could then be a very viable powersource.

(I'd also be wanting to make such a darkroom eventually anyhow, because tinted glass ftw.)

ThrillBird

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, didn't really get my question answered but I suppose it's a server side problem then.. I'll talk to the owner of my server if maybe he have it disabled.. anyway, I've gotten a few more ideas too, minium stone + ink sac in ae autocrafter into the reactor together with of course the saplings from my mfr tree farm, cause at the moment those aren't enough to run a boiler.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, didn't really get my question answered but I suppose it's a server side problem then.. I'll talk to the owner of my server if maybe he have it disabled.. anyway, I've gotten a few more ideas too, minium stone + ink sac in ae autocrafter into the reactor together with of course the saplings from my mfr tree farm, cause at the moment those aren't enough to run a boiler.

I didn't see anyone ask, but did you ensure you only had 1 source block of water in your tank? The water flowing down is what keeps the squid from suffocating by trying to swim out of the water. Regardless of whether or not it was jailer ball'd, it can still die.

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
That is the real issue if i have understood the problem correctly. there are several items that share the same base ID, whereas some dyes like squid ink is should be bioreactable, while others like lapis should not. I'm Not a programmer, but there seems to be an issue with the bioreactor in regards to detecting witch one of the dyes that are put into the thing.
this issue is not only with ink sacs, but also other items that are used as dyes. including the flower colors. that means, that with something like redpower in the pack, it should be possible to feed the flowers and seeds from the insane darkroom item creator setup into a bioreactor.

makes me wonder... is there another item in unleashed that allows sucking items up from a large area automatically? bonemeal factory + darkroom could then be a very viable powersource.

(I'd also be wanting to make such a darkroom eventually anyhow, because tinted glass ftw.)

Flowers should be usable to create biofuel IMO. They can be fermented
If you ever get the chance to try some dandelion wine, do it.
I personally find dandelion wine to be very good.

And I thought they took out the darkroom flower growing thing?

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Flowers should be usable to create biofuel IMO. They can be fermented
If you ever get the chance to try some dandelion wine, do it.
I personally find dandelion wine to be very good.

And I thought they took out the darkroom flower growing thing?

The mod that made it possible is gone yeah. but not because it was nerfed intentionally. eloraam is just being awfully slow at updating. the flowers/grass auto harvesting mechanic is a vanilla thing tho, and it works fine for vanilla simply because you have to be inside the darkroom to get the items. thus it is not really overpowered.
what made it an exploit for FTB was the fact that we had EE2, and flowers and seeds were worth a fair amount of EMC. it was one of the fastest ways to get emc actually, altho it tended towards being a bit laggy if you made more than a couple of darkrooms.
There is one other option for making a flower grinder tho... water harvests flowers too, so instead of a darkroom, you could have a timer cycle bone meal and water on a 6x6 area. won't be as productive as the old darkroom, but fast enough to net you lots and lots of dyes. (and bonus seeds) the thing is. without EE2 you can't turn it into a diamond factory, so not many people are interested in this kind of grinder anymore. besides. with MFR being able to harvest IC2 crops, you can get most dyes out of that instead. proabbly easier to set up as well.

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
The mod that made it possible is gone yeah. but not because it was nerfed intentionally. eloraam is just being awfully slow at updating. the flowers/grass auto harvesting mechanic is a vanilla thing tho, and it works fine for vanilla simply because you have to be inside the darkroom to get the items. thus it is not really overpowered.
what made it an exploit for FTB was the fact that we had EE2, and flowers and seeds were worth a fair amount of EMC. it was one of the fastest ways to get emc actually, altho it tended towards being a bit laggy if you made more than a couple of darkrooms.
There is one other option for making a flower grinder tho... water harvests flowers too, so instead of a darkroom, you could have a timer cycle bone meal and water on a 6x6 area. won't be as productive as the old darkroom, but fast enough to net you lots and lots of dyes. (and bonus seeds) the thing is. without EE2 you can't turn it into a diamond factory, so not many people are interested in this kind of grinder anymore. besides. with MFR being able to harvest IC2 crops, you can get most dyes out of that instead. proabbly easier to set up as well.

Ahh. Didn't know there was ant other method besides siting in a dark room soaking bonemeal..
I always had tons and tons of flowers from bees so I never looked for any other methods.

ThrillBird

Jul 29, 2019
I didn't see anyone ask, but did you ensure you only had 1 source block of water in your tank? The water flowing down is what keeps the squid from suffocating by trying to swim out of the water. Regardless of whether or not it was jailer ball'd, it can still die.
I think I used 2 source blocks, but the tesseract is sitting right on top to prevent that anyway.
Also, unless I was really unlucky all the 3 times I tried, suffocation is not the case as I flew away until the chunk didn't render (about 200 blocks I'd say), and then went right back to the tank, leaving the poor squid for only seconds.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
I think I used 2 source blocks, but the tesseract is sitting right on top to prevent that anyway.
Also, unless I was really unlucky all the 3 times I tried, suffocation is not the case as I flew away until the chunk didn't render (about 200 blocks I'd say), and then went right back to the tank, leaving the poor squid for only seconds.

Definitely give it a shot with only the one source block on the top layer. It basically prevents the squid from moving upwards at all. I've actually farmed animals by abusing the bug that allows them to clip into walls when you leave the area (regardless of whether or not the chunk is loaded). So it happens pretty reliably. It might be fixed in 1.6 though, which would be great.

ThrillBird

Jul 29, 2019
Definitely give it a shot with only the one source block on the top layer. It basically prevents the squid from moving upwards at all. I've actually farmed animals by abusing the bug that allows them to clip into walls when you leave the area (regardless of whether or not the chunk is loaded). So it happens pretty reliably. It might be fixed in 1.6 though, which would be great.
I'll try it, but the thing is I'm only away for maybe 5 seconds. Even if the squid were laying right on the ground with no water, it couldn't suffocate in that time. Also, there are no ink on the ground, which strengthen my point.