Squid power problem

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ThrillBird

Jul 29, 2019
Hey everyone!
I just tried this mythical squid power setup on the server i play on. So the setup I have going on is 8 ranchers around a 1x2x1 body of water. Above the water is the tesseract powering the ranchers, which also prevents the squid from suffocating itself. Even though the squid have been captured with a jailers net, it despawn as soon as I get out of range. The area is chunkloaded, and I even placed a spot loader on top of it to make sure it was loaded properly.

First I thought it happened after I've been away for a while, but it turned out it despawn as fast as i cant see the chunk it's in (from the sky, I'd guess about 200 blocks on the x/z axis).

Have anyone else encountered this problem, and is there any fix? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

KowKrisis

Jul 29, 2019
I have never ran into this issue with my squid power set up. The biggest difference between your set up and mine is that I do not use chunk loaders at my base. The jailor's safari net prevents mobs from despawning under normal conditions and being 200 blocks away from it and having the chunk still loaded may not be considered normal. You should do a test by turning off your chunk loaders and then put some distance between you and your base and come back.

P.S. Turn off chunk loaders after any automated mining methods to prevent item leaks or any other problems.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Not crying a river over this one. 1000's of MJ off of 1 squid is an exploit in every sense of the word. Just go NEI Cheat Mode and drop HV Solars and Power Convertors. Same difference.

But, for those others reading this thread that are using squids for less exploitive reasons (like ink for MystCraft), I'm also curious how to prevent squid despawning. I'm having the same issue - can't figure out how to get my squiddies to stick around, and I have a 9x9x9 tank for a few squids.

Reactions: Geometry

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Why not just capture one in a reusable safari net and stick it in an auto-spawner if you aren't using it as a power source?

KowKrisis

Jul 29, 2019
Err, he is using it as a power source?

Squids can be used as a power source using the MFR rancher and bioreactor. I am sure there are at least a dozen threads that goes into details about it all.

The whole system is as overpowered as it is hilarious, considering I used to consider the squid the most awkward passive in minecraft and now its one of the more powerful energy sources. If your curious do some research and set one up yourself while you can. I fully expect a nerf in some form or fashion to it all at some point.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Squids can be used as a power source using the MFR rancher and bioreactor.

You read my reply wrong. I wasn't asking if it's possible, I know it is. I was simply stating that the OP said he was using them for power.

KowKrisis

Jul 29, 2019
You read my reply wrong. I wasn't asking if it's possible, I know it is. I was simply stating that the OP said he was using them for power.

My bad. It was the question mark at the end of your original remark that confused me.

Noby07

Jul 29, 2019
So, if a jailers net doesnt prevent then from despawning, try using this Thaumic Tinkerer item called Cryogenic Globe. I used it on ~10 squids and now they are forever my slaves producing ink sacks and biofuel, and powering all of my 3 boilers fir all my power needs. You all can say its cheaty for hundreds of times, but there is a bit of thinking and designing needed to have it, and to set it up you also need input power wich means you have to get some Infrastructure build up. So dont cry around for it beeing like solar panels. And squid power is by FAR more cooler than oil/fuel or lava.

Reactions: thehackedone

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
So, if a jailers net doesnt prevent then from despawning, try using this Thaumic Tinkerer item called Cryogenic Globe. I used it on ~10 squids and now they are forever my slaves producing ink sacks and biofuel, and powering all of my 3 boilers fir all my power needs. You all can say its cheaty for hundreds of times, but there is a bit of thinking and designing needed to have it, and to set it up you also need input power wich means you have to get some Infrastructure build up. So dont cry around for it beeing like solar panels. And squid power is by FAR more cooler than oil/fuel or lava.

Not cheaty. But I think one squid should be enough for atleast 1 boiler. You must be doing something wrong imho

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019

Whatever you feel about it, it's going to get fixed in an update soon so I suggest you don't get too attached to it.

desht

Jan 30, 2013
UK
Whatever you feel about it, it's going to get fixed in an update soon so I suggest you don't get too attached to it.

It'll still be worth keeping a squid tank around for biofuel generation; it'll just also be necessary to have other sources of organic material too. As I understand it, the bioreactor will be changed to generate a miniscule amount of fuel with only one ingredient, so diversification will be required.

To the OP: I have a squid tank with a squid captured via jailer's net and have had no despawning problems. The tank is basically a 3x3x3 body of water dug into the ground (so lined with dirt, basically), and a layer of glass over the top. A single rancher is set into the side of the tank, and it generates more than enough ink to heat up and run a hp36 boiler. I also have a large MFR netherwart farm to supplement the ink in my bioreactor.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Nothing wrong at all with getting ink sacs from squids or using ink sacs for power. Nice change of pace from the usual tree farm, even if the Rancher and/or Bioreactor aren't currently working as intended.

Gimply Goose

Jul 29, 2019
You guys say this will be nerfed or fixed or whatever. If the ink sacs made only 1 biofuel each you would still have an energy gain and a working system. I think the term you are looking for is removed. The way it is now 1 rancher can fuel 4 bioreactors which can fuel 40 biofuel generators making roughly 640mj/t. If it was nerfed 80x over you could still get 6.4mj/t(including rancher energy costs) per rancher.

Reactions: PeggleFrank