Splitting up sorting system stacks

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Jim Armstrong

Jul 29, 2019
I have my sorting system all setup but would like to take it to the next level.

As certain items come in, I want some to go directly into their respective barrel, and others to go out for further processing.

For example, I might want a stack of cobblestone to come in, and half half of it go into a barrel as cobble, and half of it to go to a smelter. Then, coming out of the smelter chain I might want some of it to go into barrels as stone, and others into another crafting pipeline to create stone blocks.

What are the strategies available to split things up in this way to send it to different areas of a storage/processing/crafting pipeline?

Thanks!

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
You could have a diamond pipe with the same item in two different colors. I think it spits about even.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
A normal cobblestone pipe would split it 50/50 even when there's a barrel as the other option. For more control you can use iron or diamond pipes.

Jim Armstrong

Jul 29, 2019
A normal cobblestone pipe would split it 50/50 even when there's a barrel as the other option. For more control you can use iron or diamond pipes.

I see. I will have quite a few stacks coming quickly from quarries and turtles so I guess I need something faster than a cobble pipe. Hmm. Right now I use pneumatic tubes to move stuff around in the system.

Jim Armstrong

Jul 29, 2019
Aha, on further reading, it appears as though the pneumatic tubes will auto split if the destination inventories are of equal distance. so i can use inline item detectors to force that.

Spikednate12

Nov 14, 2012
Also if you get far enough in the game with Applied Energistics you can use level emitters to specify how much of one item goes where. For example you could import your quarry contents into the ME system then have an export bus that exports cobble into a furnace with a level emitter over the top specifying how much to keep and how much to smelt. Then export it back into the ME system and you can export the stone another place or have the auto-crafting structure in AE craft for you.

Booker The Geek

Feb 26, 2013
Pacific North West, USA
Also if you get far enough in the game with Applied Energistics you can use level emitters to specify how much of one item goes where. For example you could import your quarry contents into the ME system then have an export bus that exports cobble into a furnace with a level emitter over the top specifying how much to keep and how much to smelt. Then export it back into the ME system and you can export the stone another place or have the auto-crafting structure in AE craft for you.

I use somethin like that, but I use an me storage interface with different prioreties, along with fabricatories for making the bricks/slabs/stairs/etc.

Barrel for cobble, priority 10.
Induction furnace for cobble aftet barrel fills up, priority 9
The induction furnace has a wood pipe powered by energy cell at 3mj/t
Stone gets piped into a barrel, also with storage interface
next barrle has an export bus set to craft whatever it is you want made of stone, with a level emmiter set to turn it off at 63 stacks. The barrel also has a stodage buss attached..
Follow the previous barrel setup with all craftable block from stone/stone bricks.
Start your quarry.

Excess cobble can be voided or scraped. Im running nine recyclers off of my quarries/tunnle bore/rp2 mining machine.

The same can be done for wood also, just hook it up to a steves cart/forestry/mfr tree farm and you'll be good to go.

If you want to make put the barrel on the floor, with the storage interface on the bottom. The top of the barrel gets a hopper with an export bus pointed at it. Behind the barrel point a level emitter at the export bus, turning it off at 65 stacks. The barrel will always be fullwith the ho pop per as a buffer.

Booker The Geek

Feb 26, 2013
Pacific North West, USA
AE cannot do what the OP wants.

True, but you can get the same effect with multiple mods working together, once my system fills up, it ask goes into scrap, and I never need to worry about crafting building material.

My next step is to expand my setup to include xycraft blocks, and basalt/marble blocks.

Using the barrels w/hoppers also makes managing my ME storage system easier because I will refill whatever I'm using for building before I user it all. Everything set up this way, if I pull out 20 stacks to go build, use one stack, and dump the rest back in, just get scrapped or voided. Who really needs more then 64 stacks of building material at once? The only thing I might change is making the stone barrel extra-dimensional.

Booker The Geek

Feb 26, 2013
Pacific North West, USA
Actually I'm wrong. You could set up a separate ME network whose sole purpose is to import the stuff you want splitting and export it in two directions.

Maybe... The AE exporting from multiple networks into other multiple networks (one to one, one to many, may to one, or many to many) behaves VERY funny (as in not how you would think it should before actually trying it) and not how one expects. At least this its the case in recommended version of ultimate.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
AE has a sorting machine?

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I meant the redpower sorting machine. AE does not have a sorting machine (at least not in the redpower sense).

The OP could consider setting sorting machine inline on their tube network with three colour settings: white, orange and magenta. In the white column put 4 cobble, in the orange column put 3 cobble and in the magenta column put 1 cobble. The white destination could be a barrel to store cobblestone. The orange destination could be a furnace that outputs into a smooth stone barrel. The magenta destination could be another furnace followed by an autocrafting table to make stone bricks. Alternatively, you could split the cobble at the initial sorting machine 1:1 and then have one furnace destination. Then split the furnace output between an autocrafting table and storage with another sorting machine. Alternatively, you could feed the furnace output back into the original sorting machine. I can't remember what the correct settings are to make sure that you split the cobblestone at the right ratio and handle the processing output without backing up. The documentation on the redpower website isn't bad although the icons aren't intuitive and are difficult to remember.

If its splitting up cobble I would suggest making a thermal expansion powered "infinigen". The right combination of aqueous accumulators, igneous extruders, pulverisers and powered furnaces along with a supply of lava will give you an infinite supply of cobble, smooth stone, sand, glass, obsidian and all that stuff. Adding autocrafting tables will allow you to make lines in it for making stone bricks too. You might need a lot of machines but it is good. I just made one using just those machines connected to an ME system that handles cobble, smooth, flint, gravel, glass, sand and obsidian with 8 thermal expansion machines with support from applied energistics and buildcraft (save resources on import buses by using buildcraft pipes to push items into ME interfaces). It would be trivial to expand this to pump out bricks. You can also scale different bits of it to achieve the output ratios that you want.

I can't think off the top of my head of any other resources in 1.4.7 one might want to run through different autoprocessing lines except making when making deuterium and tritium for the gregtech fusion reactor. The sorting machine on the right settings should help there too, although I was having trouble getting it to work but I gave up too early and I kept forgetting what those damn icons mean.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
the only thing that i`ve encounter of capable splitting item flow at set ratio, is distribution pipe, which is par of additional pipes addon for BC. unfortunately its not a part of any official FTB pack that i`ve played so far.