Split second Freeze/Stutter

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.

Tiger666

Jul 29, 2019
Title Split second Freeze/Stutter

Launcher Type Curse App

Modpack Beyond

Modpack version 1.01

Have you modified the pack? No

Link to log file

Details of the issue I've been having this issue for a long time. I've had it in Infinity, Infitech, Regrowth now Beyond. Occasionally I get these mini freezes. They happen randomly.

Video here:

I use the latest 64 bit Java, I've tried allocating 2gb, 4gb, 6gb, 8gb. I've tried Fastcraft, Optifine. Changed Journeymap for Voxelmap. Uninstalled Anti Virus. Nothing seems to get rid of it.

It doesn't seem to follow a pattern. It's by no means a serious issue just rather annoying. Is this just something that happens with modded MC?

PC specs are:

I7 3770k @ 4Ghz
GTX 970
16gb RAM
SSD

Last edited by a moderator:

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
That stutter or pause you are seeing is the java garbage collector kicking. None of your logs will indicate what your java settings are. But, make sure the RAM you have allocated is between 4 to 5GB. More isn't better and will actually increase the stutter issue you are seeing as java will have to spend more time doing memory management. I would suggest you also look at optimizing the garbage collector as well. The line below is what I'm using in the Curse app to launch my packs.

Code:
-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalPacing -XX:ParallelGCThreads=2 -XX:+AggressiveOpts

Tiger666

Jul 29, 2019
That stutter or pause you are seeing is the java garbage collector kicking. None of your logs will indicate what your java settings are. But, make sure the RAM you have allocated is between 4 to 5GB. More isn't better and will actually increase the stutter issue you are seeing as java will have to spend more time doing memory management. I would suggest you also look at optimizing the garbage collector as well. The line below is what I'm using in the Curse app to launch my packs.

Code:
-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalPacing -XX:ParallelGCThreads=2 -XX:+AggressiveOpts

Yeah I guessed it might be a Java issue. The thing is, I've tried allocating 2, 4, 6 and 8. No amount I tried seemed to eliminate it entirely. I'm using 4gb at the moment and I still get it. I'll look into optimising the collector. Thanks.

Tiger666

Jul 29, 2019

Code:

Ok I've been reading up on Java arguments. Just had a 3 hour session with just -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC and -XX:+UseParNewGC with 3Gb allocated. Not a single stutter for the whole 3 hours, perfectly smooth. So hopefully that's solved it. I'll see how things go over the next few days.

Thanks a lot guys.

Reactions: Henry Link