Sorting Items into Chests / Storage (1.5.x)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
When presented with two valid routes for an object, buildcraft pipes will approach this problem probabilistically. If there are two routes, 50/50 chance for either route. The exception to this is when you have a diamond pipe with a specific route AND a generic route, it will prefer the specific route but take the generic route if the specific route would (immediately) fail. So a diamond pipe can be part of an insertion group.

you can actually use this approach to create a crude manual sorting system temporarily. my guess is he's doing what i did and avoiding a m.e. network because he doesnt have reliable power yet, opting instead to quarry resources to allow a more robust starting power system.

i actually used this approach, diamond pipes to send cobble/dirt/gravel/marble to dsu's, obsidian/coal/flint to specified chests/ and cobblestone pipe probability to send everything else to 10 full sized wooden chests. it was enough storage for a full size quarry from y=50, and i'd just manually compile and sort it before moving the quarry, which took about 30 minutes
sometimes, people spend 5 hours planning something intricate when you can just kludge your way to the resssources for a more efficient base setup. one day of spelunking plus charcoal = quarry rush on day 2.

side note, this site does not like my phone keyboard or andriod 4.1, dont shoot the no caps, shift doesn't work nor does autocomplete.

bgh251f2

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know if it can help but here is my suggestion:

You could use 1 diamond pipe outputting in 5 directions and then make alternating pipes networks of stone and cobblestone pipes so you can use multiple connections side by side to go on barrels or Iron chests. You can also(if needed) change the network pipe by using sandstone pipe as a transition.

As diamond pipes recipes make 8 pipes you can have them connected making the non defined pipe being another diamond one and have more or less 37 different tube lines for a total of 9 items for line on a total of 333 items.

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
I will celebrate the day that KingLemming adds item transport pipes to Thermal Expansion. The current options in 1.5.1 (which means no Red Power sorting machines) is abysmal.

Or go with LP. Or just toss an engine or two at AE.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
It would be too much of an investment in diamonds for a series of diamond pipes to be viable. My suggestion to the OP is to get a solid power grid up and running to enable AE. Nether Lava and Magmatic would be the easiest setup, assuming you have the enderpearls (would require 9 enderpearls total for the 2x tesseracts and the chunkloader). Since you've got a Quarry running, you've likely got the rest of the resources. 1x magmatic engine to run the pump, call it 4x for your power network. That's 16 MJ/t, which is more than enough to run your AE Network. Use a Storage Bus on your DSU's and Barrels so you can keep them connected without using disk space. That should hold you until you get a more permanent solution.

jasondm

Jul 29, 2019
I think we have wildly different ideas of what constitutes a basic ME network.
After four quarries, I had enough quartz to make 1 terminal, 1 drive, 1 controller, a few cables, a couple storage busses, an import bus, and 1 4k drive. I had really bad luck ;/ (and the server could have been at fault too, in some way).

After that I got a bit more and was able to make 1 16k drive and two 1k drives. That's in a 1.1.0 ultimate world, so things probably have changed, and I'm not playing on that server very often anymore so it's really not an issue, and the test world I made to demonstrate that sorting system I posted on the first page netted me two stacks of quartz and a stack of quartz dust.

It would be too much of an investment in diamonds for a series of diamond pipes to be viable. My suggestion to the OP is to get a solid power grid up and running to enable AE. Nether Lava and Magmatic would be the easiest setup, assuming you have the enderpearls (would require 9 enderpearls total for the 2x tesseracts and the chunkloader). Since you've got a Quarry running, you've likely got the rest of the resources. 1x magmatic engine to run the pump, call it 4x for your power network. That's 16 MJ/t, which is more than enough to run your AE Network. Use a Storage Bus on your DSU's and Barrels so you can keep them connected without using disk space. That should hold you until you get a more permanent solution.

Two diamonds and a piece of glass gets you 8 diamond pipes, and you'd only really need a few to sort out the major storage hogs and your basic series of items that you'd get from a quarry (ores, thaumcraft crystals, bees, anything else?) Infact, those three things and one of the storage hogs could be taken care of with one pipe (1 input, 4 sorted outputs, 1 general output). You really don't need that many diamond pipes outside of being an apiarist, in my opinion.

or, what I didn't see:

I don't know if it can help but here is my suggestion:

You could use 1 diamond pipe outputting in 5 directions and then make alternating pipes networks of stone and cobblestone pipes so you can use multiple connections side by side to go on barrels or Iron chests. You can also(if needed) change the network pipe by using sandstone pipe as a transition.

As diamond pipes recipes make 8 pipes you can have them connected making the non defined pipe being another diamond one and have more or less 37 different tube lines for a total of 9 items for line on a total of 333 items.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I will celebrate the day that KingLemming adds item transport pipes to Thermal Expansion. The current options in 1.5.1 (which means no Red Power sorting machines) is abysmal.

Dude will you please just add Infinitubes and solve all your sorting problems ever already? I dunno how many more times you can ignore this awesome mod. Between IT and AE, 1.5.1 is better off than 1.4.7 ever was. Seriously. RP2 sorting machines were minor league compared to what you can casually accomplish with those two mods.

My jimmies status: rustled.

Reactions: southernfriedbb

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
I discovered last night that a redstone energy cell can power a wooden transport pipe. Be careful it caused my pipes to overload and explode lol :D So I turned it down to 5 MJ/tick and it pumps tons of planks out of my DSU and into my ender chest connected to my steam boilers. I setup a loop with buildcraft pipes and insertion pipes from TE. Basically it would feed the chest and then loop once the ender chest is full back into the DSU.

southernfriedbb

Jul 29, 2019
I agree with KirinDave, unless you enjoy flailing around with BC Pipes (I do), Infinitubes will solve your problem. They aren't supercheap like BC pipes, but they get the job done and aren't all sorts of spilly.

I discovered last night that a redstone energy cell can power a wooden transport pipe. Be careful it caused my pipes to overload and explode lol :D So I turned it down to 5 MJ/tick and it pumps tons of planks out of my DSU and into my ender chest connected to my steam boilers. I setup a loop with buildcraft pipes and insertion pipes from TE. Basically it would feed the chest and then loop once the ender chest is full back into the DSU.
I recommend upping the value for pipes.items in your buildcraft config. The default seems a little low, it's set at 100.[DOUBLEPOST=1369250353][/DOUBLEPOST]
Thermal Expansion's Insertion Pipes will also work for this. They prioritize inventories over pipes.
I haven't had a chance to try them yet, so I couldn't recommend them.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Dude will you please just add Infinitubes and solve all your sorting problems ever already? I dunno how many more times you can ignore this awesome mod. Between IT and AE, 1.5.1 is better off than 1.4.7 ever was. Seriously. RP2 sorting machines were minor league compared to what you can casually accomplish with those two mods.

The problem with Infinitubes is that you might as well just use AE since it still needs a constant energy supply to run.

southernfriedbb

Jul 29, 2019
The problem with Infinitubes is that you might as well just use AE since it still needs a constant energy supply to run.
It's config disable-able. Although If I remember from testing it doesn't take much, I think a redstone engine will do it (don't quote me on that though, I'd have to test again to be 100% positive). I was wrong.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019

A single stirling engine is more than enough. It has its own energy buffer so a clockwork engine might be a really good call.

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019

First off: Cool your jets there, space cadet. I've never even HEARD of Infinitubes and cursory searches on YouTube for a Mod Spotlight of it is pulling up nil results.

I am reading up on it right now but it is honestly not even remotely as capable as the RedPower Sorting Machines. An RP Sorting Machine has multiple color categories that it could assign to incoming blocks. The Infinitube Teleposer pretty much has one single incoming filter label it is looking for or can apply, as well as one single outgoing label that it can apply... plus a few extra inventory boxes for items it is filtering against.

I appreciate the mod suggestion, although the tone it was done in was pretty aweful. I am making do with Diamond Pipes and BC Pipes just fine at present while I build up resources and power infrastructure allowing me to switch over to Applied Energistics. I am making do, consider this thread no longer about my seeking assistance.

Heliomance

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I'm not particularly seeing the appeal of infinitubes. They really don't look that useful.

That said, AE makes all sorting systems obsolete anyway, so meh.

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
The Infinitube Teleposer pretty much has one single incoming filter label it is looking for or can apply, as well as one single outgoing label that it can apply... plus a few extra inventory boxes for items it is filtering against.

Wow, you didn't read into it much. I'm not as gung-ho as KirinDave is about Infinitubes. I've never used them. Never had the desire to use them. Even so, just by looking at the pictures on the MCF thread it is obvious that multiple labels can apply. Furthermore, Immibis provides a more detailed description just below the picture in question, "The "in" text can be a |-separated list of labels to accept, which can include * as a wildcard. The "out" text is a ,-separated list of labels to try sending the item to."

connerity1

Jul 29, 2019
I've tried making a router (with speed and bandwidth upgrades) and hooking it up to the bank of barrels.. but it kept sticking items in the machines and hoppers 10 blocks away instead of some of the barrels on the far end of the line. Argh!

Why are the machines and hoppers touching the barrels?
Routers only output into inventories that are touching each other, they can't output if there is even a 1 block gap between them.
Really simple fix.

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
Why are the machines and hoppers touching the barrels?
Routers only output into inventories that are touching each other, they can't output if there is even a 1 block gap between them.
Really simple fix.

The hoppers are not touching ANY of the barrels, neither are the machines. The machines are on the ground, with hoppers on top. The barrels are arranged in a row starting TWO BLOCKS above the hoppers. Every time I fed something into the router I would see colored streaks whip through the air in the direction of what it was inserting things into... and more than half the time they were directed towards the hoppers. I would have to go hit the machines and hoppers and empty out all the miscellaneous garbage that they were fed.[DOUBLEPOST=1369409602][/DOUBLEPOST]
Wow, you didn't read into it much. I'm not as gung-ho as KirinDave is about Infinitubes. I've never used them. Never had the desire to use them. Even so, just by looking at the pictures on the MCF thread it is obvious that multiple labels can apply. Furthermore, Immibis provides a more detailed description just below the picture in question, "The "in" text can be a |-separated list of labels to accept, which can include * as a wildcard. The "out" text is a ,-separated list of labels to try sending the item to."

I see what you are referring to but my main confusion is.. if a Teleposer has multiple things in the IN and OUT fields.. which label gets applied? All of them? Random ones?

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
I see what you are referring to but my main confusion is.. if a Teleposer has multiple things in the IN and OUT fields.. which label gets applied? All of them? Random ones?

Just below that is an example with the following text, "the teleposer will accept diamonds which are labelled either "asdf", or anything that starts with "sorting". It will then send them to any teleposer labelled "valuables". If no teleposer can accept the item (perhaps the valuables chest is full) it will send them to "recycler" instead."

Multiple lables on the in field denote what it will accept. The outgoing looks to be a priority list, first-to-last.

Heliomance

Jul 29, 2019
However, a single teleposer can't sort different items to different locations. There's no real equivalent to the RedPower sorting machine, aside from the MiscPeripherals sorter, and that requires coding knowledge and effort.