Sorting Bees?

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
I've been messing around with Bees for the 3rd time now, and i've got a lot of them. Bunches of different species of both ignoble and pristine classes with plenty of crossbreeds, but I don't have a clue on how to sort them. I thought about AE, but with so many variants of bees it would require a lot of storage. I also thought about Apiarist's chests, but i really don't know how i'd sort them and i really don't want a wall of 2 or 3 dozen chests. So, what better way to get ideas than to ask?

So, how does everyone sort, categorize, and store their bees?

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
If you have Extrabees there is a thing called Indexes, which unlimited bee-storage. Hook it up too a storage bus and you're golden.
It'd would be the best to use a separate network for this though.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I've been messing around with Bees for the 3rd time now, and i've got a lot of them. Bunches of different species of both ignoble and pristine classes with plenty of crossbreeds, but I don't have a clue on how to sort them. I thought about AE, but with so many variants of bees it would require a lot of storage. I also thought about Apiarist's chests, but i really don't know how i'd sort them and i really don't want a wall of 2 or 3 dozen chests. So, what better way to get ideas than to ask?

So, how does everyone sort, categorize, and store their bees?
Sorting is a bit of an issue, since the only way I know to autosort bees by species and type is the Logistics Pipes BeeSink module, and that appears to be bugged. These days I do as Loufmier suggested and use an Indexer with a storage bus. There was a problem with piping bees into an Indexer, I don't know if that still exists. You'll have to experiment. Also, I void all drones beyond one stack per species, all non-pristine princesses and queens, and all drones of intermediate species I'm unlikely to use for anything productive of which I have both an ExtraBees and a Gendustry gene sample.

Note that once you've bred a new species, it will take some time for the genome to stabilize (this can take very long for long-lived species, which is why I always make them short-lived until I have a stable genome). That means you'll get dozens of different types of drones. Don't keep those if you don't need them immediately for breeding. Wait until the genome has stabilized, then you'll get a stack of identical drones you can store.

I also have a standard set of traits in a Gendustry template that I always add to any new queen that goes into production. It includes Temp Tolerance 3 both, humidity tolerance 2 both, flowers pollination, flyer, nocturnal, long life, fertility 2, fast production.

Last edited: