Something I don't get about bee breeding

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Phantom27

Jul 29, 2019
I know this thread is kinda dated, but the OP had the exact same worries as I, meaning I didnt know how to get more pure princesses without the DNA machines. So I now know that I can just use my pure drones to breed with a forest/meadow princess , get hybrids, mate these with my pure drones again and hope to get a pure princess. but what I dont get is this:

Do I need to use the common princess to advance to cultivated? I have a ton of pure common drones but only 2 princesses (one backup and one for breeding). As I understand this passage it means that breeding the common P with the f/m Drones will give me a pure cultivated or some cultivated meadow/forest hybrid (whichever i used).
But if I get a pure its either a drone or a princess (if i get both i am finished). How would I proceed from this point to get both a princess and a drone? Because if I get only one or a hybrid I will eventually lose it.

I dont think I can use the pure drone or princess to get more pure Cultivated bees without messing them up, or should I just breed them with common? Well in the case i need a cult princess as I only have a ton of common drones. If i get a cult drone I am kinda stuck as I only have one more backup common princess...

My problem basically is that I can turn a princess into another species by breeding them with target drones, but without a P and D of the trget i cannot get the amount of drones needed. So I only have one shot If i want to get from common to cultivated if I follow the path the quoted user describes.

To get cultivated you need to breed one common with one mundane (mundanes are any bees found in the world - forest, meadows etc). It doesn't matter if the common is the princess or the drone. It doesn't matter if they are pure common and pure mundane either. All you need is to have both the common and mundane species together in an apiary. Common/Forest princess bred with Common/Forest drone can also yield a cultivated bee. Common/Meadows bred with pure Forest can yield a cultivated too.

Yes, if the mutation takes place, there is a chance you will get a pure cultivated. But even if you get hybrids you can still use them to get pure ones eventually. Two Cultivated/Forest for example have a 25% probability of yielding a pure Cultivated, 50% prob of yielding more hybrids and 25% of yielding pure Forest.

This was just to help you understand a bit how the mechanics of breeding work (hopefully I haven't confused you more). Now as to what I would suggest you do if you only have one hybrid: With only one hybrid, your chances of losing it and not getting any more are quite high, yes. I wouldn't risk it; I would suggest you purify your Common princess using your excess Common drones and try and get another hybrid. At the very least you need a hybrid Cultivated princess and a hybrid Cultivated drone. If you happen to get lucky and one of them is pure, even better. Now all you need to do is breed them and hope you get pure ones. If not, you will probably get more hybrids, just breed those again and again till they become pure. If they happen to regress back to either pure Common or pure Mundane, just go back to the previous step and repeat. It's a bit of a grind without the machines, I know, but it's not as bad as it sounds. Make sure to use Soul Frames when you're trying to mutate your bees, it really helps a lot.

I can't go into any more detail right now as I need to go, but if you have more questions I'll try to answer tomorrow. Or maybe somebody else will before then.

Good luck!

PoisonWolf

Jul 29, 2019
I know this thread is kinda dated, but the OP had the exact same worries as I, meaning I didnt know how to get more pure princesses without the DNA machines. So I now know that I can just use my pure drones to breed with a forest/meadow princess , get hybrids, mate these with my pure drones again and hope to get a pure princess. but what I dont get is this:

Do I need to use the common princess to advance to cultivated? I have a ton of pure common drones but only 2 princesses (one backup and one for breeding). As I understand this passage it means that breeding the common P with the f/m Drones will give me a pure cultivated or some cultivated meadow/forest hybrid (whichever i used).
But if I get a pure its either a drone or a princess (if i get both i am finished). How would I proceed from this point to get both a princess and a drone? Because if I get only one or a hybrid I will eventually lose it.

I dont think I can use the pure drone or princess to get more pure Cultivated bees without messing them up, or should I just breed them with common? Well in the case i need a cult princess as I only have a ton of common drones. If i get a cult drone I am kinda stuck as I only have one more backup common princess...

My problem basically is that I can turn a princess into another species by breeding them with target drones, but without a P and D of the trget i cannot get the amount of drones needed. So I only have one shot If i want to get from common to cultivated if I follow the path the quoted user describes.

I personally always prefer to get drones of a specific species than to have it appear on my princesses. Here's my short guide for you to get a pure cultivated princess quick.

1) Get a pure-cultivated drone. First, try to get a single pure-cultivated drone. You can do this easily by breeding a pure-bred common with a pure-bred mundane (e.g., forest, meadow, wintry, etc). If you don't get one on the first try, purify your princess again. This means that if you used a common princess, re-breed it with your supply of pure-common drones until it becomes a pure-breed common princess again. Then try again. Using soul-frames will help immensely. I suggest using a pure-bred Wintry princess with a pure-bred common drone. The x4 drone increases the odds of getting a pure-cultivated drone.

2) To get the cultivated princess from the drone, breed the drone with a princess that cannot result in any mutation. Again, I suggest using a wintry princess due to the x4 drone production trait. When you breed the cultivated drone and the wintry princess, your princess will likely become a wintry-cultivated hybrid, and will have x2 and x4 for drone production.

3) I'll take you on a short detour to also get x4 drone production on your cultivated while you're at it. At this point, instead of using a wintry-cultivated (or cultivated-wintry) hybrid drone to get a cultivated princess, you use your stash of pure wintry drones (10 or so is sufficient) on the princess until it becomes a pure wintry princess again. In the process of doing so, you'll get tonnes of random hybrid drones. You want to identify the key wintry-cultivated (or cultivated-wintry) hybrid that has both x4 drone traits. It is likely that you'll have several of these stacked.

4) Breed this hybrid drone with your pure-breed wintry princess again. With x4 drone trait being present, the odds of losing the cultivated species is low. Now, you'll get two outcomes.
a) Your princess is still a wintry pure-bred. Repeat the step noted above. Find the drone that is a wintry-cultivated hybrid with drone production being x4. Repeat step a) until you get b).
b) Your princess is now a wintry-cultivated (or cultivated-wintry) hybrid, with x4 drone traits for both columns. Now, breed this princess with another cultivated-wintry (or wintry-cultivated) drone to hopefully get a pure-cultivated princess. If you don't have anymore drones like this, just breed your hybrid princess with a pure-bred wintry drone again and repeat steps a) and b). Eventually, you'll reach a point where you'll have a pure cultivate princess and a pure cultivate drone, both with x4 production traits.

It seems like a crazy amount of steps, but once you get what I'm saying, it becomes easy to understand. With cocoa-frames, you can purify any bee within 4-10 minutes, depending on how fast you are. In my approach, the wintry princess can be thought of as the "common strain", the strain that carries the traits that want to be passed on in the process of purifying a bee. To avoid any mutations, you always want the "common strain" to be a species that does not have possible mutations with the bee you're trying to purify. For example, my common strain (see below) is an invincible bee with the traits that I typically will pass on the bee I'm trying to purify. So in essence, by doing so, all your bees will have identical traits, just varying species titles. This approach also allows you to quickly disarm annoying bees that you're trying to purify (e.g., Ender Bees, Radioactive Bees, bees with effects that damage/kill you when you are near without an apiarist suit). I hope this short tutorial helped you. You really don't need to use any of the bee machines for anything. Once you have your common strain, purifying becomes super easy. Enjoy!
commonstrain.jpg

_momomo

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks a lot to you both for clearing my doubts and for providing a nice alternate guide to get to cultivated. So basically it is possible to lose your advanced bees since you will eventually only get hybrids which have a 25% of reverting (if both are hybrids). I think Ill start with breeding the wintry 4x trait right into my cultivated branch (i.e. breed it with commons). I also was indeed lucky before to get a pure cultivated princess from breeding two common/mundane bees, but Ill definitely get the 4x traits, will speed things up. once agai, thanks to you both Phantom27 and PoisonWolf (and DoctorOr for answering one part of my post)

PoisonWolf

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks a lot to you both for clearing my doubts and for providing a nice alternate guide to get to cultivated. So basically it is possible to lose your advanced bees since you will eventually only get hybrids which have a 25% of reverting (if both are hybrids). I think Ill start with breeding the wintry 4x trait right into my cultivated branch (i.e. breed it with commons). I also was indeed lucky before to get a pure cultivated princess from breeding two common/mundane bees, but Ill definitely get the 4x traits, will speed things up. once agai, thanks to you both Phantom27 and PoisonWolf (and DoctorOr for answering one part of my post)

I must clarify for my step 3), there are instances where you won't be able to find a wintry-cultivated with both x4 drone traits on the first try. This is perfectly ok. What you do then is take the second best hybrid drone (wintry-cultivated/cultivated-wintry) in terms of it being closest to pure-bred across the traits (i.e., as many traits are identical). When you re-breed it with a wintry princess, hopefully you'll get a wintry-cultivated (or cultivated-wintry) hybrid princess. Then, you repeat the steps of purfying this hybrid princess again with your wintry drones. Then sift through the excess drones again. Eventually you'll find your wintry-cultivated drone with x4 on both traits and with all other traits being identical.

If you didn't get a wintry-cultivated hybrid princess but the cultivated species ended up in the drones, that's okay too. You'll now notice that your wintry princess is pure-bred but that the traits are not pure. Purify it again with the wintry drones and repeat the process by taking the best hybrid drone until you get your wintry-cultivated princess. This iterative process essentially tries to ensure that the traits are identical before getting your cultivated princess.

Hope this makes sense. And hopefully my wall of text wasn't daunting.

_momomo

Jul 29, 2019
Well after my last server decided to wipe the map I finally rebuild my base in SSP (5 wipes on 3 servers in 2 weeks are enough T-T) and I started to mess with my bees. I was kinda lucky in getting some pure commons first try and then got me a pure cultivated drone. As youve instructed mixed that with a wintry princess and then the resulting hybrid drone with another wintry princess to get both drone traits x4. mixed that with more wintry princesss to get hybrid double x4 drones and a hybrid double x4 princess which then resulted in a double x4 pure cultivated drone and later in a princess. I then proceeded to get them to double shortest life span to speed up drone production.

The whole process got me a ton of hybrids or drones with undesired properties, which is fine, but why dont they stack? I analyzed them all and I know bees with different traits dont stack, but sometimes even those with the exact same traits shown by the beealyzer wont stack. And some time later they suddenly do, but not all of them. There were wasting so much space, so I destroyed most of them. Got me a pure matching drone and princess already, so they should do just fine.

Edit: There is one thing I noticed: To start out you ened a fair amount of bronze and a way to create BC energy. By the time I have copper, tin, electrum and tungsten producing bees I am already drowning in those due to my industrial centrifuges. Bees are kinda fun, but extremely ineffeicient. Is there any use at all (using Ultimate as you mightve guessed. I think without gregtech the copper, etc. bees might be worth it)

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
300! That'll keep you going a while. You see now why I've personally taken to simply throwing unwanted drones on the ground, I hope. ;)

Mind you, putting the excess DNA into a sealed pipe that goes nowhere would make for some pretty cool looking decoration. I've been considering doing that with lava (as I've got some bees that make it, and they output far more then is needed to power my comb processing system).

I managed to fill a 6.272M sized railcraft tank with DNA. Now I send excess drones off to my recyclers :)

PoisonWolf

Jul 29, 2019
Well after my last server decided to wipe the map I finally rebuild my base in SSP (5 wipes on 3 servers in 2 weeks are enough T-T) and I started to mess with my bees. I was kinda lucky in getting some pure commons first try and then got me a pure cultivated drone. As youve instructed mixed that with a wintry princess and then the resulting hybrid drone with another wintry princess to get both drone traits x4. mixed that with more wintry princesss to get hybrid double x4 drones and a hybrid double x4 princess which then resulted in a double x4 pure cultivated drone and later in a princess. I then proceeded to get them to double shortest life span to speed up drone production.

The whole process got me a ton of hybrids or drones with undesired properties, which is fine, but why dont they stack? I analyzed them all and I know bees with different traits dont stack, but sometimes even those with the exact same traits shown by the beealyzer wont stack. And some time later they suddenly do, but not all of them. There were wasting so much space, so I destroyed most of them. Got me a pure matching drone and princess already, so they should do just fine.

Edit: There is one thing I noticed: To start out you ened a fair amount of bronze and a way to create BC energy. By the time I have copper, tin, electrum and tungsten producing bees I am already drowning in those due to my industrial centrifuges. Bees are kinda fun, but extremely ineffeicient. Is there any use at all (using Ultimate as you mightve guessed. I think without gregtech the copper, etc. bees might be worth it)

I like how you used another method of using multiple identical princesses as well. That's definitely another way to go, but not one I'd advise when using things like Ender Bee Princesses. That would be troublesome because their lifespan is long and they can hurt you. Lol.

Sometimes bees have trouble stacking although they appear identical. What you do is take the non-stacking identical ones and throw them on the ground and leave it for 2-3 seconds. Then pick them up. Most of the time they'll stack. In instances where they don't, it's because that they are two different bees. This occurs when the bee-species is comprised of a dominant and a recessive species. Dominant species are red in color, and recessive species are blue in color. So sometimes you can have a bee that's Dominant as a primary species, and recessive as a secondary. However, sometimes, you'll have a bee that's recessive as a primary, but dominant as secondary. But because the species is recessive, it is overridden by the dominant, thus giving the "appearance" of it being identical to the first scenario. I hope this explains why some drones simply don't stack.

I play a mindcrack server. So my bees provide things like platinum combs (for iridium), diamond dusts, diamond nuggets, emerald nuggets, bronze directly, uranium, and most importantly....lava (i.e., simmering comb produces phosphor which can be combined with cobble in a centrifuge to make lava). And the simmering comb is the basis of all the goodness of tin/copper when industrially centrifuged. It's inefficient to an extent, but it is infinite. This fact alone makes bee-breeding a worthwhile endeavor.

bluefirehawk

Oct 14, 2020
I personally always prefer to get drones of a specific species than to have it appear on my princesses. Here's my short guide for you to get a pure cultivated princess quick.

1) Get a pure-cultivated drone. First, try to get a single pure-cultivated drone. You can do this easily by breeding a pure-bred common with a pure-bred mundane (e.g., forest, meadow, wintry, etc). If you don't get one on the first try, purify your princess again. This means that if you used a common princess, re-breed it with your supply of pure-common drones until it becomes a pure-breed common princess again. Then try again. Using soul-frames will help immensely. I suggest using a pure-bred Wintry princess with a pure-bred common drone. The x4 drone increases the odds of getting a pure-cultivated drone.

2) To get the cultivated princess from the drone, breed the drone with a princess that cannot result in any mutation. Again, I suggest using a wintry princess due to the x4 drone production trait. When you breed the cultivated drone and the wintry princess, your princess will likely become a wintry-cultivated hybrid, and will have x2 and x4 for drone production.

3) I'll take you on a short detour to also get x4 drone production on your cultivated while you're at it. At this point, instead of using a wintry-cultivated (or cultivated-wintry) hybrid drone to get a cultivated princess, you use your stash of pure wintry drones (10 or so is sufficient) on the princess until it becomes a pure wintry princess again. In the process of doing so, you'll get tonnes of random hybrid drones. You want to identify the key wintry-cultivated (or cultivated-wintry) hybrid that has both x4 drone traits. It is likely that you'll have several of these stacked.

4) Breed this hybrid drone with your pure-breed wintry princess again. With x4 drone trait being present, the odds of losing the cultivated species is low. Now, you'll get two outcomes.
a) Your princess is still a wintry pure-bred. Repeat the step noted above. Find the drone that is a wintry-cultivated hybrid with drone production being x4. Repeat step a) until you get b).
b) Your princess is now a wintry-cultivated (or cultivated-wintry) hybrid, with x4 drone traits for both columns. Now, breed this princess with another cultivated-wintry (or wintry-cultivated) drone to hopefully get a pure-cultivated princess. If you don't have anymore drones like this, just breed your hybrid princess with a pure-bred wintry drone again and repeat steps a) and b). Eventually, you'll reach a point where you'll have a pure cultivate princess and a pure cultivate drone, both with x4 production traits.

It seems like a crazy amount of steps, but once you get what I'm saying, it becomes easy to understand. With cocoa-frames, you can purify any bee within 4-10 minutes, depending on how fast you are. In my approach, the wintry princess can be thought of as the "common strain", the strain that carries the traits that want to be passed on in the process of purifying a bee. To avoid any mutations, you always want the "common strain" to be a species that does not have possible mutations with the bee you're trying to purify. For example, my common strain (see below) is an invincible bee with the traits that I typically will pass on the bee I'm trying to purify. So in essence, by doing so, all your bees will have identical traits, just varying species titles. This approach also allows you to quickly disarm annoying bees that you're trying to purify (e.g., Ender Bees, Radioactive Bees, bees with effects that damage/kill you when you are near without an apiarist suit). I hope this short tutorial helped you. You really don't need to use any of the bee machines for anything. Once you have your common strain, purifying becomes super easy. Enjoy!
View attachment 5679
Hey I understand that this is a ancient thread but does anyone know how to get the other traits like max pollen I followed the guide and got the pure cultivated but i'm not sure how to completely max out my bee.

blancot

Oct 22, 2020
You get a decent amount of rocky princesses from quarrying and once you have flight (mps, jetpack etc) flying around the overworld at night can get you quite a few princesses too.

snaptub vidmate word to pdf

Last edited: