some questions

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
R

rundai

Hey guys

I try to Setup an Automated farm with enderio. works pretty good so far. but I realised that, if I use a canola farm as my main energy production I barley producing enough power to keep the farm station running. so I wonder if there's a mod out there that checks the growth stage of plant in a certain area and emit a redstone signal if one or more plants are fully grown. Is there a block or machine in the current beyond 1.10 pack or does my one know if there exists a mod like this? Because I want to prevent the farming station from running as long there is no grown plant around it. Don't know where to put this question so be patient if it's the wrong forum XD

Rundai

R

rundai

And another question. If this setup will work. Is there also a machine that checks if a farmland has a plant on it? Because if I cut the energy or shut down the farming station if no plant is fully grown I could encounter the point where no plant will be planted because of no redstone signal. So maybe there's a way to check this in order to keep the farming station running till every farmland has a plant and no plants are grown. This would be absolutely awesome

LordPINE

Jan 2, 2016
How are you processing your canola? Depending on how you process it it will give different amounts of power. If you get it to the more powerful forms, you should easily be able to power the farming station.

R

rundai

For the moment I use the tier one form of the canola and yes I now I can power it up. But for the moment I don't want set up a complex automation for it XD I'm a little lazy XD but if there is not such a mod I think I have no other choice then.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
So, here's the thing. The Extra Utilities 2 scanner can identify the state of the block in front of it (just one block thiugh); this can be used to send a redstone signal when certain conditions are met, such as the plant being fully grown, or not grown, or whatever.

But, I'm with @LordPINE - using the next tier of canola will allow you to power your farm easily. And its not THAT complicated either! The scanner previously mentioned makes this simple, alongside three blocks you already have because of Actually Additions: the Fluid Placer, the Fluid Collector, and the Automatic Precision Dropper.

My setup is really simple, and it involves having the placer and collector and two scanners all around a single empty block space (I haven't automated the creation of crystallised canola seeds, but that's simple too):

• Oil is pumped into Fluid Placer (set on Deactivation mode)
  • Scanner 1 is set to emit redstone signal when it detects Oil in front of it
  • Redstone signal is transmitted to Automatic precision dropper with crystallised canola seeds in
  • Seed is dropped, converting Oil into Crystallised Oil
  • Scanner 2 is set to emit redstone signal when it detects Crystallised Oil in front of it
  • Redstone signal is transmitted to Fluid Collector (set on Pulse mode), which picks it up
As soon as that Crystallised oil disappears, the Fluid Placer is able to put more oil down and the cycle continues anew. I had to use a repeater in one or two places as I didn't have any redstone conduit, so it was all done with vanilla redstone.

R

rundai

Yes I follow direwolf's let's play series so I will just rebuild his setting for this. but as said I'm a bit lazy XD I hoped that there's another way without setting up something like that. The scanner you mentioned is well known for me but as you said just one block in front of it. As for now I use red coal in the generators of ender io as a boost for my farms until I set up the next tier of canola. Thanks for the help ^^

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I believe the RFTools Scanner has up to a 5 block range, but it's been a bit since I used them (used to automatically open doors when an RFTools Elevator reached each floor).

Even if you were to use the XU Scanner, you could shut the farm down until a representative scan had grown to maturity. I would do a Scanner in each corner of my field, which would feed Redstone signal into an And gate. Once all four scanners had mature crops in front of them, it would turn the harvesting mechanism on for a designated time, then shut off until all four scanners sent signal again. Probably more work than just setting up the next phase of oil production, really, but that doesn't mean you couldn't use them in tandem to conserve power when needed.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
See now, I was under the impression that the EnderIO farming station only draws power when it harvests/plants and uses none while idle. At least that's what the Actually Additions one does, and I thought the EnderIO one had the same setup.

It may not be that the farming station is sucking up too much power per se, but that your plants are growing too fast for your power production to keep up.
I ran into this when I added Roots to the DW20 1.10 pack for the growth accelerator totems, and had to quickly tier up my canola oil to be able to keep pace.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Been a while since I've used the EndsrIO farming solution, but I seem to remember it using power all the time. If I recall correctly, the Farming Station uses 40RF/t (67-93/t with capacitors installed) on a constant basis. The AA Farmer uses RF per operation rather than per tick. This makes energy consumption comparisons between the two systems difficult to gauge.

Perhaps the most scientific way to gauge them would be side by side comparisons with a set starting amount of RF from which to run, then seeing how much each can produce. Of course, any growth acceleration would have to be tested in both setups as well. My suspicion is that AA is better suited for farms with slower growing crops, as the per operation cost would simply drain the given power faster in an accelerated circumstance, whereas the EnderIO solution would excel in higher throughput operations (however, the need for degrading tooling eats into the power saved in costs of automating their production). Of course, I have no real data to pull from, so this is simply theorycrafting.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Been a while since I've used the EndsrIO farming solution, but I seem to remember it using power all the time. If I recall correctly, the Farming Station uses 40RF/t (67-93/t with capacitors installed) on a constant basis. The AA Farmer uses RF per operation rather than per tick. This makes energy consumption comparisons between the two systems difficult to gauge.

Perhaps the most scientific way to gauge them would be side by side comparisons with a set starting amount of RF from which to run, then seeing how much each can produce. Of course, any growth acceleration would have to be tested in both setups as well. My suspicion is that AA is better suited for farms with slower growing crops, as the per operation cost would simply drain the given power faster in an accelerated circumstance, whereas the EnderIO solution would excel in higher throughput operations (however, the need for degrading tooling eats into the power saved in costs of automating their production). Of course, I have no real data to pull from, so this is simply theorycrafting.

Ahh thanks for the clarification on the energy use of the Farming Station. I must have had it confused with the Actually Additions one... /sigh

Oh, for the farming station, you don't need to make tools (or have a way to automatically supply it with them) anymore (well, as of the 1.10 version of TiCo). An axe and hoe made out of all paper parts, with the durability modifier maxed = unbreakable tools. Useless for anything other than an EnderIO Farming Station IMO, but it is what it is.