Some launcher feedback

L

Luparax

Today I downloaded the new Curse launcher. And I was confused to say the least. I searched a bit for feedback on the new launcher but couldn't find any that were relevant to my problems, so here are my two cents.

First off, there is no way to set the installation location of the curse launcher. Which means another program fills up that sweet but small SSD instead of the 3TB disk dedicated to that kind of data. Since quite a lot of people (including about 50 people from my friends list after a quick strawpoll we did a couple months ago) use the SSD/Hard Drive setup this is really inconvenient. It's not a lot of data, but I'd still like it to be on my dedicated hard drive.

Secondly, the launcher actively tells you "Invalid password" if you enter an invalid password but the email address/username was correct. As the average user, I didn't think any of it. As a programmer for a company that creates mobile apps, I was shocked. There is a reason most launchers don't do that and that is because it gives hackers an easy way to check if email addresses are in use. A more generic "login failed" or "Invalid Username/Password" does convey far less information to people who have no valid account, or try to login into an account that does not belong to them.

Thirdly, where did the server download button for minecraft go? The links still work in the FTB launcher, even for newer versions of the mod packs/server. And there is no download button on the curse forge page for mod packs either, at least not one that I understand to be for servers. If I have to start both launchers to play with my friends (one to set up the server and one to start the actual game) I might as well just use the old one.

That was just some thoughts I had on the new launcher and since this forum is titled "Launcher Feedback" I thought I'd put it here.

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
No idea if the Curse people check this forum. Though I agree, the "invalid password" thing is a potential security risk.

The launcher installs itself in your Application Data, which, again, I agree is kind of silly and requires multiple installs if there are multiple users on a machine. It's a few hundred megabytes. Modpacks themselves go into your My Documents, which can get pretty huge. There's ways around this though. Windows has symbolic links, you can move both things to the other drive and you shouldn't notice any issue. You can do it from the command line with mklink, or with a right-click menu option if you install an add-on (not sure if anything above Win7 has this built in). I use this technique to keep my Minecraft dev stuff in the same location despite drive letters occasionally being shifted around, since it breaks Eclipse projects otherwise.

You can also look at the Curse launcher configuration files in the AppData, there's apparently paths where you can set the Minecraft base directory. I haven't tried messing with them myself, but one would think that they work.

H

Hellfir3

Hi Luparax,

I hope you're having an excellent week so far!

Though you cannot change your Curse.exe install location, you can change the location where Minecraft, mods, etc are installed. You can change that through "Settings > Minecraft" in Curse. Hopefully that will help free up some space! =)

Thank you for the feedback about the invalid password warning. I spoke with our web team about this and they see your concern, we'll definitely take a look at this area.

Unfortunately we don't support server packs currently, but it's something we're considering. I understand your concern however, and will make sure our team is aware.

Thank you very much for taking the time to voice your suggestions and concerns, we truly appreciate it!

Cheers,
Chelsea aka Hellfir3
Curse Customer Support Manager

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Unfortunately we don't support server packs currently, but it's something we're considering. I understand your concern however, and will make sure our team is aware.

Hellfir3,
Thank you for taking the time to respond to this thread. I will 2nd the need for server pack downloads. Currently this is the only function I still go back to the FTB launcher for. Overall, I'm one of those that does like what you have done with the curse launcher so far. Although I will say the current color schemes and styling of it leaves a lot to be desired. But, I'm also more interested in functionality and that it works. So tell the dev team for the launcher to keep up the good work.