Request [solved] qaz needs help with OSX and java 7 mods.

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
some mods need java 7 or higher, and uh, OSX wants java 6. it refuses to launch, saying to install java 6. MultiMC crashes with paste.ee/p/PplVR
i have some freinds coming over, and i am running low on computers, so i have to use the mac. please help.[DOUBLEPOST=1413660264][/DOUBLEPOST]when i use j6, a bunch of mods error :/

Last edited:

jss2a98aj

Jul 29, 2019
It wont take kindly to java 7, so try java 8

EDIT: if your using a older forge version only pre 8_20 java versions work properly

zbeeblebrox

Jul 29, 2019
minecrafts own launcher refuses to work(OSX claims it needs j6) so i am testing MultiMC 1.7.10(with/withought forge)/1.8

What version of OSX do you have, and what process are you going through where the OS says it needs Java v6?
I'm running v7 on 10.9, and I don't get any complaints from vanilla Minecraft or any mods so far.

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
What version of OSX do you have, and what process are you going through where the OS says it needs Java v6?
OSX 10.9.5, when it says it needs java v6, i can either a. install it. b.not launch the app.[DOUBLEPOST=1413664716][/DOUBLEPOST]kay, after some expierimenting, beta j7 versions seem to work. thanks guys :)

Reactions: zbeeblebrox

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
As I recall the mac os minecraft client contains a bundled version of java 6. To get the launcher to use the installed java I just downloaded the linux launcher: minecraft.jar.

Otherwise you need to explicitly set the java path for each profile to point to your java 7 install but determining the correct path is somewhat obscure

zbeeblebrox

Jul 29, 2019
Otherwise you need to explicitly set the java path for each profile to point to your java 7 install but determining the correct path is somewhat obscure

That was true for 10.8 - which was fussy as hell about Java versions that weren't v6 - but it shouldn't be necessary anymore. In fact, the bash files I was previously using as workarounds to load modpack launchers actually broke in Mavericks. At first I freaked out...but then I realized I could now simply load the regular .jar files directly like you were originally meant to :p