[solved] Performance problem in linux and Twilight Forest

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Well the weird thing is that I never had this problem in Windows. With the same computer, same mods, same version of MC, same texture pack.

Anyway, I will start with almost no flags (besides memory) and I'll also try lowering memory somewhat (perhaps to 2.5 gigs or so) to see if that improves matters. If not I'll re-add flags one-by-one until I find the sweet spot.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Different drivers and OS means (potentially) different virtual memory / device memory paging strategies.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Hmm, I seem to have improved matters somewhat by disabling some of the 3D effects on my desktop (linux kubuntu). Perhaps I need to look into updating my nvidia drivers.

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
my java ARGs
-XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CICompilerCountPerCPU -XX:+TieredCompilation -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:+UseFastAccessorMethods -XX:+UseParNewGC
-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+BindGCTaskThreadsToCPUs -XX:+UseCMSInitiatingOccupancyOnly -XX:+UseCMSInitiatingOccupancyOnly -XX:NewRatio=3 -XX:SurvivorRatio=3 -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=80 -XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=8 -XX:GCPauseIntervalMillis=50 -XX:MaxGCMinorPauseMillis=7 -XX:+ExplicitGCInvokesConcurrent -XX:+OptimizeStringConcat -XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled -Xnoclassgc -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -XX:+UseAdaptiveGCBoundary -XX:UseSSE=3

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Hmm, it seems as if I have actually solved the problem. First disabling all 3D effects for my desktop helped somewhat. And then I removed Opis (which also includes MapWriter). I think the textures that MapWriter was making for the maps when I was moving around were getting too big. I may have set the quality of them too high. I have now been playing MC for a long time and got no hangs. I'm even teleporting back and forth between my two bases all the time. I'll keep you informed if it ever returns.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Ok, I officially mark this thread as solved. I have played for hours. My son has connected. We have explored large areas. We have visited the Twilight Forest and all is perfect. No hangs at all. So conclusion: uninstalling Opis (MapWriter) solved it. Seems I was misled into thinking it was related to garbage collection. Instead it was related to texture memory most likely.

Anyway, thanks for all the help.

MadMartian

May 28, 2020
What is this? another mod developer running Linux? and Kubuntu at that?
Confirmed: great minds DO think a-like.

Thing is, while I do experience this issue on Kubuntu as well, it also occurs on a friend's computer who is using Windows. I used YourKit Java profiler to narrow down the problem to the sound manager. I think the sound manager is getting overwhelmed with sound effect requests. I suspect the culprit may be the cicada sound effects, they are all rather large in terms of file size.