[SOLVED] FTB_Launcher won't start

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.
R

Rocio

Title:
FTB_Launcher won't start
Launcher Version:
Can't check, latest of 18.02.2015
Modpack:
None
Modpack Version:
None
Log Link:
Details of the issue:
Hello everyone,
I have a problem with the FTB_Launcher.exe, when I try to start it nothing happens.
Only thing that remotely indicates that something is happening is javaw.exe starting in the process tab.
What I have done so far:
• Reinstalled Minecraft, the game runs flawless.
• I have re-downloaded the launcher.
• Re installed java twice and removed all registry entries before installing. Currently using Version 8 Update 73.
• Removed the folder “ftblauncher” in \AppData\Roaming
• Removed the folder “ftblauncher” in \AppData\Local
• FTB_Launcher is located here “C:\FTB\FTB_Launcher.exe”
• Tried the curse version of FTB. Every time I try to install a version of minecraft or a mod, it ends up with “an error occurred, see log file”. (Something like that, don’t remember exactly and don’t know which log they are referring to.)

FTBLauncherLog.txt if this helps

c:\ftb\FTBLauncherLog.txt: written by FTB Launcher
[19:19:16] [DEBUG] Main.main:171: Launcher arguments: []
[19:19:16] [DEBUG] Main.main:172: Launcher PID: 14760
[19:19:16] [DEBUG] Main.main:183: FTB Launcher CI Build #: 378, Git SHA: 1477cb29a5a0
[19:19:16] [INFO] JGoogleAnalyticsTracker$2.run:484: AnalyticsBackgroundThread started
[19:19:16] [INFO] MainHelpers.printInfo:39: FTBLaunch starting up (version 1.4.11 Build: 10411)
[19:19:16] [DEBUG] MainHelpers.printInfo:40: System's default JVM: (This is not always used to launch MC)
[19:19:16] [DEBUG] MainHelpers.printInfo:41: Java version: 1.8.0_73
[19:19:16] [DEBUG] MainHelpers.printInfo:42: Java vendor: Oracle Corporation
[19:19:16] [DEBUG] MainHelpers.printInfo:43: Java home: C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_73
[19:19:16] [DEBUG] MainHelpers.printInfo:44: Java specification: Java Virtual Machine Specification version: 1.8 by Oracle Corporation
[19:19:16] [DEBUG] MainHelpers.printInfo:46: Java vm: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM version: 25.73-b02 by Oracle Corporation
[19:19:16] [INFO] MainHelpers.printInfo:47: OS: Windows 7 6.1 (64-bit)
[19:19:16] [INFO] MainHelpers.printInfo:48: Launcher Install Dir: c:\ftb
[19:19:16] [INFO] MainHelpers.printInfo:49: System memory: 10959M free, 16351M total

Does anyone know how to fix this?

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
Try using the jar-version of the launcher and see if that helps

jikuja

legacy FTB Launcher developer
Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
Minimize or close all other applications. First run dialog might be scared and hiding behind other windows...

(yeah it's a bug)

R

Rocio

Sorry for the late response...
I tried the jar-version and nothing more happened than the exe version.
Run dialog was not hiding behind other windows or other screens. Thought it maybe had some kind of extreme paranoia so i let it work for an half hour, in case it had some kind of extremely slow startup. But nothing... after the ftb launcher has started i expect some kind of icon will appear at the task bar? Yes it has been a long time since i used ftb.

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
Do you got any antivirus on your machine that might be blocking?

R

Rocio

Disabled mcafee and tried the exe and jar version again with and without admin privileges, no luck. Just to be clear, i stop javaw.exe from the process tab between everytime i try to start the launcher.

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
try to add an exception to mcafee, just disable might not be enough (if it's mcafee that's blocking).

R

Rocio

Added exception in Mcafee and tried again but still nothing. I use GlassWire to monitor my network traffic and nothing close to java or ftb tries to access internet when i start the launcher.

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
What did you add to the exception? (if the process is blocked it will never be able to generate any traffic for you to spot)

R

Rocio

From McAfee Firewall settings:
Access:
Incoming and outgoing: Opened to all units
Net Guard: Deactivated

In other words, it should have complete access.

I also tried with two different ISP and routers in case there was something in the router settings blocking the access.

R

Rocio

Made an exception for both java.exe and javaw.exe, nothing more happened.
I found out that the timeline in Glasswire was off so I didn't see java connecting to internet yesterday. Now i can see that every time i try to start ftb, java will download 1.5KB and upload 2.4KB, but nothing more.

R

Rocio

Ok, so for checking my internet connection, firewall and java i downloaded a "modded" or "offline" version of the ftb launcher (Version 1.4.8). And to my surprise it works! The console is popping up and i can browse between different mod packs. The problem with this offline launcher is that it freezes when i try to create a profile. First i thought it was a bad launcher so i downloaded a different "offline" launcher, but that launcher has the exact same problem. So i am starting to believe that there are some old ftb files, lurking somewhere in the system files, messing up everything.

Does anyone know where the profile files are located? Or if there are other folders or registry entries belonging to ftb anywhere else than the places I listed in post #1? Or any other ideas?

R

Rocio

I FINALLY SOLVED IT!!

I was working on another project when I figured out that I could not start “System Configuration” to edit what programs started at startup. Therefore, I tried to start my computer in Safety mode, but that resulted in BSOD. I started to suspect a Virus so McAfee did a complete scan of my computer but found nothing. So I tried other programs…
Malwarebytes found nothing
Killerbytes found nothing
AdwCleaner found nothing
RogueKiller found nothing
Junkware Removal Tool found nothing
Spybot found nothing
Kaspersky Rescue disk could not complete its search (Maybe just bad luck)

At last I tried Ad-Aware from Lavasoft, and found a program called “SearchProtect” in Program Files (x86) which I had not installed. Every file from “SearchProtect” where quarantined. After a reboot all my FTB problems was gone and I could open “System Configuration” :D