Problem (Solved) Butterfly Plague (1.7.10)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Verigen

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone know how to control or limit forestry butterfly spawns in 1.7.10?

Recently had to give up on my modded world due to an overpopulation of butterflies (LAG!). I lived on a rather large island and although they did not seem to be able to make it across the ocean they pretty much came to cover the entire area where I've built. I was able to remove them a few times (over 10k entities removed each "cleanse") with commands thanks to some other mods I have installed but they've infested the trees so badly on the island that they just multiply back in a few hours time...at least I think that's where they keep coming from...

I've since started over and was wondering how to avoid this happening again. The thing is, I'm not actually sure where they even come from. Do they just spawn out of any forestry tree leaves? Or do the bees cause them to "poof" into being when they crossbreed the trees?

I know I could do without the trees in the overworld but I do like using the walnuts/chestnuts for seed oil as it's so much faster and less energy intensive than pumpkins.

Currently thinking I might have to grow the trees in a void realm with a buildcraft quarry for chunk loading if I can't come up with a better solution that does not involve cheating every few hours.

My pack is custom (mostly a modified ftb pack), just the mods I've come to enjoy all jumbled together and the mods I don't use or disliked removed. So if anyone has a solution that takes a specific mod let me know what it is so I can see about adding it.

Last edited:

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
Personally, i just disable the butterflies in the configs. When you do, tree breeding is done by bees instead. This gives the added benefit of giving you more control over the area effected by forestry cross-pollinated leafs. Preventing your nearby automated farms from getting forestry saplings.

You don't have to go into bee breeding to do tree breeding; Just set up a group of about 12 apiaries that are automated with hive-bees in the middle of your tree breeding area. (or you can be efficient and breed both at the same time)

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
Eh, no, that wouldn't disable the module, only stop them from spawning. And If that setting worked as advertised, then you wouldn't have 10k entities since it is set to only 100 by default.

What I meant was this setting in: modules.cfg
Code:
B:lepidopterology=false

Setting this to false will disable butterflies and everything associated with butterflies, and it will let bees handle the pollination of trees. The items won't even be registered, so this also means less junk in JEI/NEI.

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
Ahh, I remember this plague from some pack. Had to give up right near the end due to billions of butterflies breading one night while I left it running to accumulate some resource.

Verigen

Jul 29, 2019
Yup, that is exactly what happened to my first game. Got them disabled in the modules.cfg now. There was a bit of a lag logging back in and an expected "warning xxx blocks not found and will be removed" prompt prior to the aforementioned lag but working like a charm now! I can once again plant the forestry trees without that particular issue. Only thing now is having to cut them all down manually since the lumber axe doesn't seem to work....returns only one log, which isn't that bad I guess since I was really only after the easier to get seed oil (and cooking stuffs for pam's). Ty again!