Solid Fuel Steam Boiler and Lava Buckets

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Damian Yates

Jul 29, 2019
I have been trying to get my steam boiler to eject the empty buckets after using them and have had no success. Is this a bug or do I have to use another device to remove the buckets. Currently I have a liquid transposer connected to a lava fabricator to fill the buckets up. The liquid transposer is next to the boiler and inserts the bucket without a problem. The lava is used to heat up the steam and all is fine. I have a wooden transport pipe with a redstone engine on it to pull the buckets out but it fails to remove them.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated,

draeath

Jul 29, 2019
What pack are you running? Steam boilers haven't been able to use lava in quite some time.

monsted

Jul 29, 2019
I have been trying to get my steam boiler to eject the empty buckets after using them and have had no success. Is this a bug or do I have to use another device to remove the buckets. Currently I have a liquid transposer connected to a lava fabricator to fill the buckets up. The liquid transposer is next to the boiler and inserts the bucket without a problem. The lava is used to heat up the steam and all is fine. I have a wooden transport pipe with a redstone engine on it to pull the buckets out but it fails to remove them.

I'm pretty sure a lava bucket counts as a solid fuel (you can also use it in a vanilla furnace), but only because it consumes the entire item. You will never get the bucket back when used in that way.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I thought it was explicitly handled and rejected (for "balance")

I don't know the motivations but Its been nerfed severely. With a lava fab setup going into a boiler, it doesn't sound like there'd be any energy profit. More like a huge loss anyway

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Besides the lava bucket, I can't think of an item to remove from the boiler. Steam is a liquid, so that's pipes only AFAIK. The boiler is a hungry, selfish beast and just wants to be fed more, more, more !

Haven't tried a lava bucket myself, just charcoal, coal, and coal coke.

If you're using lava, you may want to consider the TE Magmatic Engine. You can pipe in the lava. Haven't tried a bucket in one of those, but I believe it should work.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
An emerald pipe on the firebox should do it.
bucket consumption bug (furnace ect) was fixed a while back.​
Also lava fuel was heavily nerfed in boilers to prevent energy loops with the magma crucible ect.
You're better of with the TE thermal engine, or GT thermal genny or the new boiler (it has a filter so you get power AND resources).​

Damian Yates

Jul 29, 2019
I actually am using ender tank in the nether and one directly connected to the liquid transposer. I will give the emerald pipe a try.

Thanks for all the responses.

SandGrainOne

Jul 29, 2019
I made a working system. I placed a chest with lava buckets next to the Boiler. It needs to be at the level of the FireBox. The Boiler will take buckets out of the chest and into its inventory. This is the safest option because buckets don't stack. To extract the empty buckets I used a simple wooden pipe. This must also be at the level of the FireBox.