Soldiers and Minecraft

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

David Wert

Jul 29, 2019
I am a SSG in the U.S. Army, there are a group of us that would like to set up a small stand alone server that we can all connect to so we can play together. None of us are really good with that side of computers. Would any of you be able to talk me through what I would need to do to set up a server capable of supporting about 15 players? We would like to run FTB, Direwolf 20 mod pack.

Thank you so much
SSG Wert

theKGS

Jul 29, 2019
The easiest way is to use a Minecraft server host I think. My group is planning on trying out Creeperhost. Using a dedicated host is a lot simpler than trying to set it up by yourself on some other kind of service.

dlord

Jul 29, 2019
Go to your FTB launcher, select the modpack you wish to use, and download the server from there.

Unzip to your preferred location, and look for the .bat file. That should start the server with a basic configuration.

Physicist

Jul 29, 2019
Presuming you're running it on a closed network for people on other site networks, you'll need to be sure you can get ports opened that your other players can connect on. I suspect network security is too tight, and furthermore, you won't have access to the routers to set up a port forwarding.

IF, however, you're a guy with access to those routers, or such a guy owes you a big favor, you might be in luck. You can use the server.properties file in the server folder to set up which port your guy on the inside opens for you.

If you're running it on a LAN, though, or even just a large intranet, you might not have ports screened at the layers your players will connect from. Again, check the server.properties file and change the ports until someone can see you on your IP. For info on how to find your IP, see the IT guy who owes you a smaller favor, or is maybe just lower rank than you.

Also, there's an option in server.properties for disabling Mojang username verification; use it.