So what's the point in Agriculture food types?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
I've been having a bit of a mess about with it on my latest world and, well, meh?

I went through this long process to make bacon double cheeseburgers, something which involved about a dozen stages and uses pork, steak, salt, wheat flour, milk, water and vinegar (which I had to spawn in since the Brewer machine seems to be broken)

"this should be satisfying" I think to myself.

2 bars of hunger.

Same as a vanilla loaf of bread.

What's the use in this?

Reactions: RedBoss

mk16

Jul 29, 2019
the only thing i like is the beer and cider because now i can make a ravers den but, if the brewer is broken then dont really see a point either.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
This is the entire problem with Minecraft, there are far too many items which have almost zero usefulness. I like Forestry bees, and I always work towards a bee production facility with bees making every raw material. But there are some bees which are just ridiculous. There's a bee that can make droplets which can be squeezed for milk. Great! What the heck can I do with a Railcraft max-size steel tank (20,000 buckets when full) of milk?????

There are even things that don't do anything. I got "pulsating propolis" from my bees, and in previous FTB modpacks that could be put thru a machine to get ender pearls. In Monster modpack, it doesn't do anything. So I have my bees making hundreds of thousands of these things that are completely useless! That's minecraft in a nutshell. A bazillion items, most of which have no use except "aesthetics", whatever that is...

I think if every item in the game had multiple uses (I would call this "cross-linked items" or something), then I think this game would be infinitely better. It probably would be less "realistic", but how is this game realistic in the first place? To me, a good game has strategy galore. Minecraft is great, I play it every day, but it is just missing some critical form of strategy for me.

mk16

Jul 29, 2019
^ oh theres a long list of useless stuff. just off the top of my head.
titanium tinkers tools
micro blocks
the named floppys you find in chest
butterflies
fish
forestry trees and backpacks
tic kanpsack

and it just goes on.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
titanium tinkers tools
micro blocks
butterflies
fish
tic kanpsack

and it just goes on.
Butterflies pollinate trees faster, backpacks and knapsacks give you more inventory space, forestry trees can give more saplings and fruit, so more biomass for ethanol(Power!). If you mean mariculture fish, those can be used for the same purpose as bees.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
micro blocks

Actually I don't agree with these three. Micro blocks are VERY handy for hiding conduits, item ducts and whatever. They are also very handy for making some builds more pleasing. And finally microblocks are also very useful in combination with ProjectRed red alloy cables because you can use them to break redstone connections. I use microblocks a lot in my world.

Forestry backpacks are very good for storage and automatic sorting. Enderpouches are also very good of course but early game it is handy to have forestry backpacks to automatically sort your items for you.

Named floppies are handy as examples if you're into ComputerCraft and/or OpenComputers. I've also used them while I was learning that.

mk16

Jul 29, 2019
Butterflies pollinate trees faster, backpacks and knapsacks give you more inventory space, forestry trees can give more saplings and fruit, so more biomass for ethanol(Power!). If you mean mariculture fish, those can be used for the same purpose as bees.

redpower bags are better then both of the ones i listed forestry one are too hard to make in comparison. also unless something changed microblocks wont fit in the same block as TE3 stuff so thats why i said they where useless.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
redpower bags are better then both of the ones i listed forestry one are too hard to make in comparison. also unless something changed microblocks wont fit in the same block as TE3 stuff so thats why i said they where useless.

First there are other mods that have pipes out there then just TE. And secondly TE *does* support microblocks just fine. I'm using it for that.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Actually knapsacks are better then project red bags because
One: They aren't as buggy
Two: They don't take up a spot in your inventory.
And microblocks do work with TE itemducts, energy pipes, and fluiducts.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019

They both have their uses. Redpower bags are my "overflow" bags. If I'm out collecting and run out of inventory space (which is always a disaster), the redpower bags save the day. But they're also annoying. They've had a bug for a few modpacks, an annoying bug where one slot won't empty and you have to jump thru hoops to empty it (move the bag on your hotbar).

Forestry backpacks are great, because they vacuum crap out of your inventory automatically. That is awesome in early game when you're still mining by hand and your inventory is always filled with junk like cobble and dirt. If you have the correct Forestry backpack, that cobble and dirt will go right into the backpack and you'll never see it! That's a huge plus and makes them very different from the redpower bags.

And yeah, microblocks DO work with TE and that's a big deal for me since I'm a neat freak and like to hide my piping and wiring. Why can't AE and IC2 work with microblocks? (Edit: P.S. For neat freaks like me, if you haven't done so, you really need to check out the EnderIO conduits. They are pretty amazing IMO!!!)

mk16

Jul 29, 2019
Actually knapsacks are better then project red bags because
One: They aren't as buggy
Two: They don't take up a spot in your inventory.
And microblocks do work with TE itemducts, energy pipes, and fluiducts.

just checked it would seem i was wrong about the blocks

but i still stand by what i said about knapsacks and forestry bags

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
just checked it would seem i was wrong about the blocks

but i still stand by what i said about knapsacks and forestry bags

If you ever get into bees and start collecting them from hives with a scoop... you will very quickly come to understand the extreme benefit of the Forestry backpack that can handle bees... because Princesses do not stack in your inventory and 27 inv. spaces can disappear very quickly indeed. :)

LoGaL

Aug 4, 2013
what's the point in eating steak in RL? BUGS give you all the nutrients you need, WHY don't you eat them eh??

mk16

Jul 29, 2019
what's the point in eating steak in RL? BUGS give you all the nutrients you need, WHY don't you eat them eh??

steak taste better and provides more. like if i wanted i could kill a cow make food from its flesh, make clothing out of its hide, and crude weapons out of its bones. cant do that with a bug.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
steak taste better and provides more. like if i wanted i could kill a cow make food from its flesh, make clothing out of its hide, and crude weapons out of its bones. cant do that with a bug.

Bombardier beetle to the EYES!

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
malicious bloke uses sneaky potato insertion on mk16 while mk16 is distracted by beetles

flawless victory!

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Vanilla fish are a decent food source. They have more uses in 1.7, but then again vanilla add 2 more types of fish and you can get loot from fishing. Plus Thaumcraft in 1.7 adds a fishing golem core.

Back to the OP, there really is no point in having lots of food types without a game mechanic to reward you for it. Terrafirmacraft does this rather well. It has changed the saturation system and you need food sources from protein, grain, dairy, fruit, & vegetables. You progress in cooking level which allows your prepared meals to "taste" better which leads to better nourishment. Your food even decays over time and you have to actively manage your food stores even on a temperature level.

It's a total overhaul mod, but having access to lots of food options makes sense in the face of suh changes. For regular Minecraft's system of food saturation, I see no need personally for such variety. The only novelty I ever seek in food is setting up a pumpkin farm for pie. And that's just when I'm tired of seeing steak on my hot bar.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking