So what is your comustible fuel for everyday use?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

256spam

Jul 29, 2019
Im still in early stages on my world in terms of power and fuel, but im a pro at fighting blazes only when i have too. i killed enough for a teir 3 soul spawner of blazes however. i created a prototype for a gridnder! no effort required! basicly a total of 48 pistons are pushing blazes into a nether portal and then they get killed in the overworld! simple as ever and very effective. once its done being build i put a vid on utube and link it on here.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm. Magmatic Engines + Netherrack + Magma Crucible should be self-sustaining, so it's not too hard to produce all the Lava we need. Or maybe you need a Geothermal Generator and an Electrical Engine now.

I've heard some people had trouble with Combustion Engines not getting the necessary Water for some reason, so most Combustion Engine fuel sources aren't used too much.

Question. Do TE Steam Engines need Coal, or can they run off of fuel like Blaze Rods?

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Well, for normal furnace fuel (generator, turtle, row of furnaces) I use additional peat (from regenerating dirt for tree farm), or coal coke. For BC power combustion engines, with liquiducts and sufficient number of aqueus accumulators it works without problems (I use 6 per 16 engines), but in the case that something bad happen I have also gate based shutoff. My ore processing runs from solar energy through solar mirrors. I haven't done much with IC2 in this world, just one testing system RP2 windmills -> tin, copper and electrum, where I charge my jetpack.

Edit: some testing (which you Whovian could also easilly do ;)) seems to suggest that most of the things work there, except blaze rods and lava bucket.

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
early game I like charcoal. iron axe + gigantic extra biomes trees + powered furnace gives a great supply, especially if railcraft hobbyist steam engines are powering it.

Later game I usually build a stack of at least 3 peat bogs and hook them up to a solid fueled 36H steam boiler. gives a nicely sustainable 144MJ per tick and the bogs run off their own peat :3

Another option (one I find quite tempting) is to set up an RP2 bluelectric wind farm and power my MJ off bluetricity.

The extra peat generated (quite a bit of extra actually) can go into anything that doesn't run on MJ. For large amounts of EU I either import lava from the nether for geothermal or set up a nuke. I haven't played so much with gregtech, and it seems like it uses TONS of EU, so I'm curious how people get around that issue. I am somewhat loathe to use solar panels, they just feel weird to me, and I'd rather use the available surface area for factorization solar - seeing as it's the only option for power in that mod.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't played so much with gregtech, and it seems like it uses TONS of EU, so I'm curious how people get around that issue.
Plan when our server will restart:
Boiler park feeding magma crucibles feeding gregtech thermal generators (is that their name?). For peak usage switch on a nuclear reactor.

Late game when the fusion reactor will be available, build enough centrifuges/electrolyzers to support permanent power production, feeding into a matterfab to regain the materials for other contraptions or for iridium (gravi chest plate, here we come).

256spam

Jul 29, 2019
im in a point where first i have not tree capitatior, second using Dw20's world, third im never great at lava power, always fails on my, trying to use steam and i dont have enough power for peat, chose the most complex one to do in the end but it doesent requre electricity or power or anything for it to work

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Charcoal.

Steve's carts tree farms are like loggers on crack. Easier to set up as well, not that costly either, just some basic ingredients and 5 diamonds.

Blaze rods make a good fuel as well if you're playin' mindcrack, grab your jetpack, bow, fire resistance pots and make a mad run for them blaze spawners. You can create a tier 5 blaze soul shard without breaking a sweat, just pop a pot, run up and right-click. Speaking of which, you can place a soul cage into a force field with the NPC defense upgrade, the rate at which you'll be collecting them blaze rods is a little crazy. Feed those into a wall of generators trough a router, one spawner can keep 60 topped up no problem.

Oh, another - if unrelated - thing. You can use the same tactic for killing the wither.

256spam

Jul 29, 2019
u freaking geinous, except i dont have power for a jetpack, still got a t3 shard though.

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
You can build a gravity gun and just carry a blaze spawner through the nether portal. Doesn't work with mystcraft portals though.

256spam

Jul 29, 2019
dont havee the resources for portalgun or grav, whatever
i got it built! gonna post the vid sometime when i can!

Entropy

Jul 29, 2019
Charcoal. Steve's carts tree farms are like loggers on crack. Easier to set up as well, not that costly either, just some basic ingredients and 5 diamonds..

This. Steve's Carts farms are so ridiculously powerful, it's not even funny. I filled up an upgraded barrel in a matter of hours with wood, and another barrel or two with saplings and apples. I feed the wood into upgraded IC2 furnaces, and feed the charcoal into either a 36 HP boiler or into a bank of hobbyist engines. It's a beautiful thing.