So, what is the best tinker's construct melee weapon type?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Has this changed recently? Because last time I used a TiCo arrow as a melee weapon, it didn't do any more damage than your regular unarmed attack.

Also, that's an awful lot of resources there for a single stack of arrows, which you can't guarantee you can recover. Particularly the Thaumium (although my problem there is that I absolutely despise the cauldron as it currently stands).

There is absolutely ZERO difference between a Thaumic Guard and a Paper one. They both add an additional modifier, and the guard has no other impact on the weapon itself. Plus 14 hearts (much less 30) is ridiculously over-engineered. You will never meet anything (barring wither or nether dragon) which requires that sort of damage output. 10 hearts is more than enough to one-hit kill anything you are likely to encounter, unless you have Mekanism and every skeleton and zombie is blinged out in armor.
I have met plenty of things where my insane arrows saved my life, mostly because I play with multiple dungeon mods, gravestones, and Twilight Forest. Lots of things from those mods definitely need more than 4 hearts of damage. Also, 12 hearts won't insta-kill an angry zombie. The reason for the paper is because it's cheaper, and there is no durability on the arrows. Thaumium is one of the first materials you research, and you can often find it as loot. Also, I do have Mekanism, because Mekanism rules.

apemanzilla

Jul 29, 2019
I have met plenty of things where my insane arrows saved my life, mostly because I play with multiple dungeon mods, gravestones, and Twilight Forest. Lots of things from those mods definitely need more than 4 hearts of damage. Also, 12 hearts won't insta-kill an angry zombie. The reason for the paper is because it's cheaper, and there is no durability on the arrows. Thaumium is one of the first materials you research, and you can often find it as loot. Also, I do have Mekanism, because Mekanism rules.
Except when you get swarmed by zombies, all armed and armored thanks to Mek.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
If you are dealing with Mekanism-armored enemies, you want a rapier. A Rapier with max sharpness will do WAY more damage than your 30 heart bow to anything in Mekanism armor, which has stupid levels of protection.

12 hearts will indeed kill an angry zombie, unless he is armored. See previous comment.

30 hearts is excessive. Yes, it gets the job done, but now you are throwing away diamonds, nether stars, thaumium... all on ammunition which you can't always recover. And when simple cactus-headed arrows do the same job and are made of completely renewable resources, so you don't care if you throw it away or not.

Seraph089

Jul 29, 2019
If you are dealing with Mekanism-armored enemies, you want a rapier.
This. That crazy 12 heart arrow may one-shot a lot of things, but if you run into a mob in full Mek glowstone armor you may as well be punching him. A rapier will two-shot him and let you get back to what you were doing

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
If you are dealing with Mekanism-armored enemies, you want a rapier. A Rapier with max sharpness will do WAY more damage than your 30 heart bow to anything in Mekanism armor, which has stupid levels of protection.

12 hearts will indeed kill an angry zombie, unless he is armored. See previous comment.

30 hearts is excessive. Yes, it gets the job done, but now you are throwing away diamonds, nether stars, thaumium... all on ammunition which you can't always recover. And when simple cactus-headed arrows do the same job and are made of completely renewable resources, so you don't care if you throw it away or not.
I don't use the bows typically, I just use a melee weapon, so the likelihood of me losing it is about as much as my death count added to the likelihood of it not going into a gravestone, so I'm not worried. Also, no nether star, one thaumium, and 1 diamond. Honestly, that is barely any materials, and for 12 hearts, that's pretty good. And no, Angry Zombies have 25 health, 12 hearts is 24 health.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I don't use the bows typically, I just use a melee weapon, so the likelihood of me losing it is about as much as my death count added to the likelihood of it not going into a gravestone, so I'm not worried. Also, no nether star, one thaumium, and 1 diamond. Honestly, that is barely any materials, and for 12 hearts, that's pretty good. And no, Angry Zombies have 25 health, 12 hearts is 24 health.
So your only reason to make these arrows is to use it for something which doesn't work? Arrows aren't melee weapons, you just do punching damage. And even if did did work, a Rapier is a far better weapon, particularly when running up against enemies with Mekanism armor. So basically... you're paying for the privilege of screwing yourself over.

If you don't make a bow, you have zero reason to make arrows.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
They do a ton of damage and are extremely cheap. Also, I wasn't only talking about Mekanism armor, I was talking about Better Dungeons, TF, DungeonPack, GraveStones, and especially Dark Mages from AM.

SkeletonPunk

Jul 29, 2019
I use a Manamahna broad sword with a paper hilt and an obsidian holt, i then put a nether star and a block of gold/diamond on it and use quarts until i have one left, and then I add lapis

Yldron

Jul 29, 2019
I use a Manamahna broad sword with a paper hilt and an obsidian holt, i then put a nether star and a block of gold/diamond on it and use quarts until i have one left, and then I add lapis
sorry but this sword is not very optimized.. you should replace obsi with either paper(low durability), thaumium(same as paper, more durability) or cactus for jagged.
maybe there are better materials in the extensions.

YourMajestyCaleb

Jul 29, 2019
Hate to break up the discussion but I know a bit about tinkers swords that you guys might find nice.
Highest damage possible that I know of: 51 in one hit.
To get the highest damage swords use a manyullyn blade, and the rest paper, or what ever adds more modifiers(depends on mods used). Then get extra modifiers and add nether Quartz. You'll one shot bassicaly everything.
To get 51 damage, use cleaver.
To pierce crazy armor, use rapier.
If you like blocking, use broad sword.
If you can't fly and want mobility, use longsword.
I don't know the max damage on all the swords but feel free to go creative and find out.

Reactions: null123

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
I usually go with a paper/manny blade cleaver with tons of quartz. Highest damage output available.

jaquadro

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, the necro is pretty awesome ;)

I've been rocking the longsword for the 1.5x sprint damage bonus. Stacked with quartz for high damage, and a necrotic bone. The more they swarm, the more invincible I become.

null123

Mar 27, 2014
If it is a PvP thing...
rapier.
It COMPLETELY ignores armour, and you can get them up to 20 dmg (10 hearts) rather easily, which is an instant kill, assuming they have no extra health (Advanced genetic genes, heart canistars, TiC armour, potion buffs, etc)

Veggetossj

Jul 29, 2019
Mana blade,thaumium larg binding and 2 paper rods Cleaver maxed out on Damage . Combine this with Haste 4 potion effect and u got urself a beast :)

null123

Mar 27, 2014
Mana blade,thaumium larg binding and 2 paper rods Cleaver maxed out on Damage . Combine this with Haste 4 potion effect and u got urself a beast :)
Haste does not actually increase the attack speed. It is a purely visual effect.