So what are the best TC tools these days?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
I'd go with many head, cobalt and ardite plate + ardite rod. It should get about 10 bonus when almost fully worn out IIRC.

Also scythe can one shot skeletons. I made manuyllyn one with cactus rods and with a couple of quartz it was one shooting them at about 1/3 durability left, so jagged is definitely worth it, I'd go with cactus as a rod for every weapon.

I guess you're right about the armoured mobs, but they're rare... Come to think of it, I can't even remember the last time I saw a zombie or skeleton wearing any armour.

It depends on difficulty, the harder you set it, the better armored enemies are. I don't think you will get any armor on easy.

Edit:
So apparently you can just use nbt editor to edit durability on your tools to test it quickly. Here is manuyllyn head, ardite rest hammer with silky:
http://imgur.com/qCjjjSF

No other modifiers applied, 21.5 mining speed.

Airship

Jul 29, 2019
Why manyullium head? For the extra durability? Guess I have two more monster hammers to test ...

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Why manyullium head? For the extra durability? Guess I have two more monster hammers to test ...

Exactly, the more durability the better stonebound. Basically maximizing amount of parts with ardite * max durability.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
To each his own I guess. Though to be honest, I rarely ever find myself 'swarmed' by enemies, apart from pigmen, which aren't worth fighting anyway.
Different play styles, I suppose. Although the Cleaver has no damage benefit above and beyond, say, a Longsword, which swings much faster. They both have 'High' damage output. Its only redeeming feature is the beheading quality, for easier farming of wither skulls.

I guess you're right about the armoured mobs, but they're rare... Come to think of it, I can't even remember the last time I saw a zombie or skeleton wearing any armour.
Really? I find opponents wearing armor actually outnumber the ones that don't. Then again, my mod pack has a lot of different types of armor in it, so since each armor piece is randomly checked for, it would make sense that I have a higher than normal percentage of armor-wearing opponents. The Glowstone armored ones are particularly annoying, due to the high mitigation of the armor, even if the durability is worse than gold.

Finally, one thing I forgot is that the battleaxe does something really interesting with a right mouse click. Its not enough to save it though.
I agree, it isn't enough to save it.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Different play styles, I suppose. Although the Cleaver has no damage benefit above and beyond, say, a Longsword, which swings much faster. They both have 'High' damage output. Its only redeeming feature is the beheading quality, for easier farming of wither skulls.

Really? I find opponents wearing armor actually outnumber the ones that don't. Then again, my mod pack has a lot of different types of armor in it, so since each armor piece is randomly checked for, it would make sense that I have a higher than normal percentage of armor-wearing opponents. The Glowstone armored ones are particularly annoying, due to the high mitigation of the armor, even if the durability is worse than gold.

I agree, it isn't enough to save it.

I'd ignore mekanizm spawns in this: https://github.com/aidancbrady/Meka...mekanism/tools/common/MekanismTools.java#L625

TL: DR Mekanizm specifically adds its armor and weapons to mobs, minecraft code doesn't check for each armor piece from available ones when spawning armored mobs.

Airship

Jul 29, 2019
I'd go with many head, cobalt and ardite plate + ardite rod. It should get about 10 bonus when almost fully worn out IIRC.

Also scythe can one shot skeletons. I made manuyllyn one with cactus rods and with a couple of quartz it was one shooting them at about 1/3 durability left, so jagged is definitely worth it, I'd go with cactus as a rod for every weapon.

It depends on difficulty, the harder you set it, the better armored enemies are. I don't think you will get any armor on easy.

Edit:
So apparently you can just use nbt editor to edit durability on your tools to test it quickly. Here is manuyllyn head, ardite rest hammer with silky:
http://imgur.com/qCjjjSF

No other modifiers applied, 21.5 mining speed.
Ooh, that is a nice tool. How does a full ardite hammer compare?

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Is that so? I didn't know this, I thought the longsword had the same damage as the broadsword. Well, I guess I'll try the longsword then.

Actually, now that I think about it the cleaver has a couple of advantages advantage over the longsword; first, it has more potential upgrade slots. This means if I wanted my theoretical longsword to do as much damage as my cleaver, I wouldn't be able to add a necrotic bone, which has made my character a self-healing god.

Second , you can make a cleaver with a thaumium blade and a manyullyn plate, rather than the other way round. It does the same damage, but now you can repair it with thaumium instead of manyullyn. Doesn't matter with electric of course, but if your using a modpack without IC2 this makes repairing the weapon much easier.

EDIT: Just checked in my tool forge. The longsword definitely only does 'moderate' damage, not 'high'. Was the longsword buffed in 1.6?

Also the longsword and cleaver have the same number of upgrade slots, never mind.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Is that so? I didn't know this, I thought the longsword had the same damage as the broadsword. Well, I guess I'll try the longsword then.

Actually, now that I think about it the cleaver has a couple of advantages advantage over the longsword; first, it has more potential upgrade slots. This means if I wanted my theoretical longsword to do as much damage as my cleaver, I wouldn't be able to add a necrotic bone, which has made my character a self-healing god.

Second , you can make a cleaver with a thaumium blade and a manyullyn plate, rather than the other way round. It does the same damage, but now you can repair it with thaumium instead of manyullyn. Doesn't matter with electric of course, but if your using a modpack without IC2 this makes repairing the weapon much easier.

EDIT: Just checked in my tool forge. The longsword definitely only does 'moderate' damage, not 'high'. Was the longsword buffed in 1.6?

Also the longsword and cleaver have the same number of upgrade slots, never mind.
Hmmm... in 1.6, I can't seem to find where it says Low/Moderate/High damage, however the dashing for 1.5x damage will put it over the top even if it is moderate.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
Nope. Diamond and diamond + gold block are 2 separate upgrades. You'd need to apply them separately.
OK so if you have one slot remaining and you add the Diamond+Gold Block upgrade, you then have two slots remaining?

Physicist

Jul 29, 2019
Tool dynamism tablet (thaumic tinkerer) + auto-repair/auto smelt lumber axe + drawbridge = free charcoal right?

That's one use. Consider this: auto-repair/auto-smelt/450-lapis pick. I seem to recall reading somewhere that this causes ore blocks to drop an average of 2.5 ingots. I presume that adding tool dynamism and drawbridge would make it way faster than Factorization's 2.8 with only a small loss compared to Thermal Expansion's 2.1 ingots per ore.

I haven't tested this yet. Also, mDiyo appears to be balancing this mod with every update, so things will likely change when packs finally upgrade to 1.6 (or skip it and go to 1.7?). mDiyo is not releasing any more updates for 1.5, bugfixes and balance be damned, so stats will hold until then.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I myself made a hammer with a steel head and colbalt plates plus a many rod. It gave a final speed of 10, and lots and lots of durability. I have since added a silky jewel and some redstone. It may not be the best, but is clears out stone relatively quickly and I can repair it with ordinary steel instead of hunting the nether for cobalt.

Symmetryc

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think that this is a bug, because after you drain whole energy your tool will use normal durability (there is also a bug with not draining energy, but it is fixed). Overall ardite is very much worth it on hammer, because it has so much durability. It won't give you as much mining speed as before, but one piece will definitely be better than additional modifier from paper or thaumium.

How will more durability be better than more speed (that you get from the extra modifier)? You already have basically infinite durability anyways...

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
How will more durability be better than more speed (that you get from the extra modifier)? You already have basically infinite durability anyways...
Stonebound gives you more bonus the more actual durability was used, not percentage wise. It is not straight relation anymore, but it is still better to have tool with higher durability for it.