Slow down wooden transport pipe output?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Milk_

Jul 29, 2019
So I'm currently making automatic machines for say Chest > Extractor > Chest.. although machines like the extractor struggle to keep up with the output from the chest (even with 4 or so overclock upgrades.)

Is there anyway I can slow down how fast things come out of my chest without having to constantly turning off my redstone engine to let it cool down?

edit: I should also mention that I am using FTB Unleashed.. so RedPower is not an option

Last edited:

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
One should never have to let a redstone engine "cool down". As long as it is pointed at a valid block (pump, wooden/emerald pipe), it will never overheat and explode.

Milk_

Jul 29, 2019
It's not to do with exploding, it's that once it goes over green it starts pumping out things from the chest too fast

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
i heard making a loop for overflowing items works, but you`ll be better with using hopper for this instance.

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
Pumping.. too fast?

I'm sorry if I'm a bit flabbergasted, but this is the first time I've ever heard of someone thinking the redstone engine pumped items too fast. It's always people complaining it's too slow.

Reactions: PierceSG and Museli

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
If you're still doing it this way I'm assuming you're quite new to this(nothing wrong with that), so I'll not confuse you with over the top complicated solutions as you'll have to work out the other much better ways of doing this yourself...

Easiest will be to put the chest above a machine and use Chest>Hopper>Machine then a wooden pipe and redstone engine to pull out of the machine..

If you can't put the input above the machine you'll have to loop it. This is done by extracting the items from the chest with a wooden pipe then using 'Insertion Pipes' or 'Diamond Pipes'(which when right clicked will give you a filter with corresponding colours on the pipe, set the correct colour to what you want to go into the machine), these pipes will try to insert the item first and ONLY if it can't let the item carry on. A normal pipe will randomly choose a direction and if the machine is full just drop it.

Then loop the pipe back round to the chest to catch any overflow...

Apologies if you know all this but better to be safe than confuse you;) and who knows might help someone else who googles this one day...

Reactions: casilleroatr

Milk_

Jul 29, 2019
I think I understand. So the hopper pretty much does the same thing as a wooden pipe but works at the machines pace? And diamond pipes don't output the item into the machine if its full?

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
I think I understand. So the hopper pretty much does the same thing as a wooden pipe but works at the machines pace? And diamond pipes don't output the item into the machine if its full?

Hopper:- yes that's right, hopper on the bottom of a chest and directly on top of a machine will pull from the chest and only input into the machine when it can.

Diamond Pipe:- that's correct but a diamond pipe also needs to be set to allow items through it, right click on it with a wrench and you'll see colours down the left side(these correspond to colours on the actual pipe when it's connected to something) and slots next to it, place the item you want to go into the machine in a slot next to the right colour.

Insertion pipes will also only input items into a machine if there's space and you have them in your mod pack but don't need to be programmed and will therefore try put ANY item into the machine.

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
if youre running unleashed..you should have extra utilities, which has transfer nodes and pipes..the node acts like a wooden pipe+redstone engine/autarchic gate, but it will wait for the destination inventory if its full. these can be routed anyway you like. these can be upgraded with speed upgrades to make them move items faster, tho i think for this situation you wont need them. you can route the same item to multiple destinations if you want, and i think it waits until the first destination is full before shuffling items off to another inventory.

Museli

Jul 29, 2019
Just a quick note about hoppers (that caught me out when I started using them) - to connect it to the machine or chest you want them to pump into, put it on the relevant side of the machine while sneaking, otherwise they won't connect.

With regards to Extra Utilities, it is an excellent way to move items around, and it also has a ton of other cool stuff too - check out the mod's page (http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1776056-164forge-extra-utilities-v102/) and you'll find a ton of fun toys to play with, most of which are available in Unleashed. :)

krugle

Jul 29, 2019
You could use a couple gates and set them so that if the extractor has room the gate on the chest side tells the engine to turn on.

Reactions: Padfoote

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
Just a quick note about hoppers (that caught me out when I started using them) - to connect it to the machine or chest you want them to pump into, put it on the relevant side of the machine while sneaking, otherwise they won't connect.

With regards to Extra Utilities, it is an excellent way to move items around, and it also has a ton of other cool stuff too - check out the mod's page (http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1776056-164forge-extra-utilities-v102/) and you'll find a ton of fun toys to play with, most of which are available in Unleashed. :)

Wrenches on a hopper can usually set what they are connecting to. I personally use the crescent hammer most of the time, and it works great on hoppers.

Reactions: Museli

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
The best solution is slightly expensive, but if you upgrade to a gate, even just a basic one, you can have it only output the redstone signal to the engine when the extractor is empty, and thus you'll only get a slight slow down in production but a complete lack of items on the ground, because the engine will not be pumping a full stack.

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
The best solution is slightly expensive, but if you upgrade to a gate, even just a basic one, you can have it only output the redstone signal to the engine when the extractor is empty, and thus you'll only get a slight slow down in production but a complete lack of items on the ground, because the engine will not be pumping a full stack.

How is that better than a hopper or insertion pipes?

EDIT:- to OP(who seems relatively inexperienced btw) these are the more complicated methods;)

Last edited:

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Because it retains the original dimensions of the design, in case of a space limitation. If he's got the space, then a chest/hopper works perfectly well. Additionally if at some point in the future he wants to use the chest for a something else, the wooden pipe can be replaced with a filterable emerald pipe.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Man you need to update, but anyway best option would definitely be round robin or hopper. Hopper is probably cheaper :)