Skyblock time again (AG Skies 2)

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
(After making that huge tower in a normal world, I find myself craving the simple challenge of a skyblock. I'll be updating this with pictures and stories. Anybody who wants to post tips and tricks that I don't know for AG Skies 2 will get the only reward I can give, a like)

I slept, and in my sleeping I felt the change. On awakening I knew I was not in my bed and something had changed before I'd even opened my eyes. Perhaps I shouldn't have. I was back in the middle of nothing. Briefly a voice came to me, telling me of a job left incomplete, that the work I'd put into recovering a world long ago was not complete.

(EDIT: Looks like I'm done. New computer, didn't quite migrate it properly.)

Last edited:

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont

Ow, my head, it feels like I slept on..... Oh, that is stone. Looks like a few blocks got left behind in the devastation. Part of me just wants to go back to bed and hope it's a dream, but there's not even that hope, or more exact, not even a bed here. I can see some dirt over there, and apples. If a tree melted over there, there should be a sapling or two over there too.

Yup, saplings. Also found a few things in my inventory. Nothing leftover from home, or even the previous world, though there was a list of... I'll call them demands. Still most of these look like things I was going to do anyway. Given that I was able to make a crook it looks like I'm going to need to try sifting things again.

Looks like I can make a tool station too. That gives me more hints as to what I've got to work in this world. I check back in with the list of demands and find that I am being offered rewards for this work, including a pan. Course it seems to be made of a material that I can't repair. Plastic? Do I have access to the machines of MFR again? Maybe someday soon.

Still, I feel it was worth picking because I can cook things in the pan without damaging it, as long as I don't mind the taste of plastic. Course I still have nothing much to cook, except a few silk worms. I think I better go back to work, see if there's a few more demands I could manage to solve for... them.

Yup, and for my trouble, a watering can. An EMPTY watering can. With the only water in this world that far out of reach. Still where there's a will, there's a way. This just happens to be a platform. I just have to remember one important thing...

To take the blocks back down once I've gotten the watering can filled. It's bad enough that I'm risking being sniped by any skeleton that spawns out there in the blocks of the void. Though if I was honestly and for true worried I would build walls. Truth be told, after living in a tower without windows, I yearn for the sky. If nothing is all I can see, then let me see it.

More and more trees, carefully punched, the wood collected, the platform expands. There's a now enough that I'm not jumping from place to place. What little time I have before hunger strikes will be stretched with a slab placed just so. More of the wood becomes a full set of tinker tables. Flint for an axe head, flint for a shovel, and a stick, crafts a mattock that will let me till the earth. It seems that I can't just grow things here, but crop sticks and extra water from the watering can still grow potatoes... no, potato. Just one. The soil here is indeed tired. Still some things work. A giant tree and a silk worm will in time give me all the thread I will need for a long long time, eventually. It just takes a long, long, time.

Same process, same block, and more time with the watering can grows me a few more things. I'd call them seeds blown in on the wind, but to be honest they where more rewards for the demands being made of me. Lettuce greens are not much, still if I could get my hands on a pot I might be able to make soup from them. The potatoes I can bake up just by themselves. The wheat can be made into a rough bread and toasted. That makes an awkward sandwich, but is better then an empty stomach. Those apples, well, I could eat anything raw, but it seems a waste.

It's tricky growing food when you've not got a source block of water within reach, but bonemeal and a watering can work together to get the job done. Rain helps more, and with the wooden barrels in place I collect the rain for latter use. With no bucket it has to be for latter. Still, I can fix that. In the mean time I'll just build a small structure over the other barrel and get to work with composting saplings. The silkworms are almost done up there. Soon things will change.

The first bits of string and this progress pleases the watchers. Though the reward makes little sense. Why would I release a sheep when I don't have ground for it to live on? I don't have space for it. Even if I had space for it I'd not even have any grass for it. I'd get wool once and then never again. Besides it would take two for me to breed them. So, one sheep is one mutton, and perhaps two wool. Better to grow more trees and more silkworms.

Still, silkworms are not an attractive snack. No. Those baked potatoes I was thinking about, that's how I'll break my fast after this long long night. It's not the grand feasts that I carried with me time and time again before. It's not rainbow bacon or a many delightful curry, still it keeps me alive. When you are alone in a vast void sometimes that is the most you can hope for.

Today sees me taking down the last of this huge tree, collecting the string and pleasing the overlords who make such demands of me. Still there isn't much else to do in this world. Plant saplings. Water them into trees. Use a crook to break leaves and get more saplings. Take the trunk and branches for wood. Saplings into dirt. Not enough space for two trees, and with the watering can I don't have the downtime that I'd normally face either. Still, it looks like the work has pleased the overlords, I've gotten a rather nice gift.

Still, I tire of being in quite such a small space. Flint for a pick axe head. Sugar cane seeds into sugar cane and into paper. This makes not just many more books but also a paper binding for my pick. With this I can finally start shifting this space to suit me, instead of just trying to live in the little light of this impossible object. It takes a day of making and breaking, going into the void and shattering the stone where things could have spawned to harm me. Sometimes I could get the clay, other times I could not. I did get the door, and made a nice chiller to hold my food.

With those blocks my platform grows. With the string, wool. With the wool a bed. I'm limited in my reach due to having very little flint to repair with. I can't really call myself even a member of the stone age as I lack entirely stone itself. Still that is a comfort in the void, the ability to pass the night in comfort.

Time. Time is friend, time is foe. It's all we have, other then the reaches of the void, but it can also make one quite mad. I could be imaging the demands and the overlords, I could be quite mad indeed, looking into the void too long. I think not though, as I am not nearly mad enough to make use of this reward from them. And to have invented purple wood? No, not that mad. So, this must be a gift. A reward. Perhaps a hint. I've space enough, is it a suggestion to make a home?

If it was advice, I ignored it. I took the dirt they'd given me, and I sifted it. Little stones become larger ones. Larger ones hammered into gravel. Gravel into sand. Sand into dust. Dust and water into clay. Clay into a bucket...

... more dirt into more stones. Stones into cobble. Cobble into slabs. Slabs into a furnace. Clay bucket fired in the furnace. Now I can move water around. No desire to do more then store the water for now.

Sapling. Tree. Leaves. Saplings. Dirt. Stones. Stone. Gravel. Sand. Dust. Clay.

Clay with bonemeal and form a crucible that fires into a substance firm enough to let me melt down more stone. I've got little more heat then torches so the process is slow. Time passes and I've got a bucket of lava.

A bucket of lava... In a world of wood.

I'm going to sleep on that.

Last edited:

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
somemenjustwanttowatchtheworldburntinkywinky.jpg

...literally.

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
If I'm ever going to escape into the stone age, I'm going to need something that does not burn quite so easily. A night of rest and I looked at the ground by my bed. Clay. That's right, there was some clay and I built it into my platform. Though, now, that means getting under my platform in order to safely recover this stone. Time. Time is the resource that I have the most of. In the book that the overseers have provided, with the demands, I found a new tool, one I'm growing to enjoy more and more.

No, it's not the crook, it's that item frame. That's a way to craft crooks for myself rather easily. This has helped me build up a stockpile of saplings, and dirt while I got together the masses of wood I need to continue. Store everything into chests, take a stack of planks, toss a bucket of water to flow off the edge, dive over inside of it, rather quickly toss some wood up into a pillar and use that to make a small platform. Swim up, grab a bit more and jump off to make it larger. Do that again, and again and...

... Finally, enough room to breathe and think. It just also happens to be large enough for me to have recovered all the clay brick and coloured quartz. I've got just enough with the seared quartz to build an only slightly unsafe device that will rather quickly produce cobble, or let it be hammered to make gravel. It's a start, even if it is an eyesore and a horror. I don't expect it to light my tiny world on fire, but I cannot leave it and feel safe.

It also offends the eye. Once I have the materials I'll rebuild this with better materials, something more satisfying to the eyes and my feelings of achievement. Sure, Eventually I'll never need it again, but it's good to have a reminder, it's better then a completely empty world. Some of the early stone goes under a barrel, waiting for moss to grow because that will give me a way to repair my tools even if I somehow ran out of flint. Eventually I'll even be able to harvest it too.

This reward makes me think the overlords are insane, they call this useless? These are saplings I'd been far too limited on before. The Dark Oak is particularly pleasing, even if for now I must give it a pass and save a space for it for another time. I've heard that when grown without proper space, it can be even more destructive then oak, before that tree was properly tamed.

With the luxury of stone to break and sift, and junglewood, I can capture a rare seed. Cocoa seeds. Tricky to cultivate as they only want to grow on junglewood, but I've come into some, through luck. A wall of logs, a single seed and time. Soon, cookies. When the world is stolen from below your feet, a small pleasure like cookies, and perhaps a jar to store them is worth enjoying.

Well fed, I isolate myself again in the cobblegen. I break stone, I pulverize stone. I sift. Dust for redstone. Slowly building up my stockpiles with a new goal in mind. Same goal, just a new way to do it, to be honest. A nice little mining machine that makes it's own stone as long as it has fuel and I keep the tools repaired.

The faster I try to remove the stone, the better the results, a stack per charcoal, stack and a half for a flint. Shame I've not gotten a way to get the tools to last longer, yet. Course I can solve that without too much trouble. I've got water and dust, so I've got clay. Clay, sand, gravel. This means I've got grout that I can shape and bake into bricks. A stack bakes into enough for a very small smeltery.

Very, VERY small.

Still, that's enough to make the required parts. Molds, ingots, gears. Redstone from the dusts, everything else is in the gravel. When I get tired I can take a break from this and grow myself more food. If I get tired completely, I still have my bed. The miner for stone is good, but that's the first thing to replace.

With the smeltery able to make alloys, with the extruder stone is even easier. Next three all in a row, automating the sifter, the pulverizer and producing energy to power it. A simple clockwork engine, hand cranked until the spring is nearly ready to explode, and then back to the smeltery with the dust, to cast it into ingots.

I can practically do it all while standing in the same spot.

Next time I'm growing food I make sure to grow some more reeds and craft paper. I can taste the magic in the air here, so all I need to get started on it is a wand.

I should have expected this when I realized how much magic is in the air. There's just an abnormal amount of material in the magical time I summoned into existence. I can hardly scratch the surface with a world this bare though, I'll need to make materials in order to research them, so a small chest is all I'll manage, with a few goodies in it.

Another chest, seeds and saplings, the materials that I grow to make myself the food to keep myself together and alive, but this isn't enough space to grow most of them. Nowhere near enough space to setup a garden that I could crossbreed the plants in. In a world with no boundries, I find myself cramped. Still, there is a solution.

Last edited:

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Aren't you worried about slimes spawning on that platform? I mean it's clearly low enough for them to spawn. Those are going to be a problem if you intend to use that platform to breed crops.

Reactions: ICountFrom0

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont

A day, a night, another day and more has passed. I've been building. One thin layer between me and the void isn't enough, not nearly enough for comfort. I've heard the stories of those who simply slipped, bodies clipped right through, or the slightest wobble in reality became them awaking in bed, below the stone. This, shall not be me.

I don't even start to feel safe until the blue light of sky is around me. Until the starry void of eternit has mellowed to something that I can pretend is sea and sky. Slightly higher then where I started.

Such a mutable world. There was a building, but before I arrived it was sundered and shattered.

Where it once was, I built my world of wood.

Now I stand on stone. Each stage has replaced the old. When I succeed in giving the overlords what they need, this too shall pass, all replaced again with a rebuilt world, or so they say. They said as much last time, and then told me this that I'd only done one small sector's work.

Out there, distances that I cannot see, is there another person growing trees to get the wood to fuel these demands? Me, I've grown a small forest, see the wild wood grow, in twisted branches and mighty oak.

With this much space I don't need to stand with watering can or bonemeal and tend each one separately, I can just let nature grow the trees, then come through with shears and axe, then come back down with stacks.

Down here, just one layer deeper. I placed everything that was the world into these chests. Unsorted and unsifted, but I did find that I have more resources then I'd thought. Just enough. Hardened from diamond hammers, this one can do the job of many at once, perhaps next time I'll think to enchant it.

With this hammer I processed every ore shard and had a look again at the demands of the overlords.

They gave me a tree so strange that I have no proper words to describe it, and yet so delicate that any blow causes it to melt entire. The slimeballs from the leaves, an odd fruit have an indescribable taste. The texture is not good, but once dried they are slightly gummy, almost a candy. I can't say it's desirable, but it makes a good change from bugs and stale food until I regrow my garden.

Before I can have much of anything again, the water comes back out of buckets and into a small pool here. Latter this will be a well, and the pool a larger one on a lower level, but for now, enough water to keep itself flowing and wooden barrels for clay again. With the clay, and sand, again I rebuild, this time no tiny smeltery.

It's not full size and it's not a swarm of self sorting monsters but this one is big enough for any purpose I might need for now, until I grow to overwhelm it. Plans, always plans, and always forward. See the clock, ticking away, and a chest that fills itself. Satisfaction, and of course an urge to the next project. Good things to feel while alone in the sky.

Behold, lava. Still I must feed manually from the chest above my extruder but I don't yet consume it fast enough to need more. I'm growing a stockpile that I will, soon, be able to make into obsidian and more varied materials. I shall again have a sword and my tools, they can't always be flint.

The overlords tempt with many odd suggestions for power, and here at the edge I place them, and sift for more resources. Redstone is always scarce but time becomes more, as long as I am patient. So here I throw all the power I have at getting more of what I spent to get the power. Such is the cycle, but like a drill, each turn brings us forward.

Until the result is, instead of overkill, pure light and clean power, enough to keep this always going.

(I'd actually contemplated making solar early on. Tier 1 solar takes almost nothing and a furnace upgrade lets it heat a furnace instead of fuel. I might have need of that in another attempt elsewhere..)

So I pleased the overlords for a while, built machines and displayed them, took them down again, and worked forward. Worked through my resources until I needed more, and then I made more. Grew the forest and took it down, and grew it again.

Then I remembered, these tools, they are good, but not yet perfect. I'd not yet rebuilt my workspace, and so that became next. Something done just for me, and it pleased me too. Further, 4 blocks of iron then let me rebuild the unstable wooden tool station into a proper forge. I have now the tools, to make better tools. The drill turns.

A project just for me. A kitchen in the sky. Pantry is still a bit bare but I can work on that, I will work on that, soon. I also need to figure out how to get fuel into the stove more efficiently. I'm using nuggets of charcoal right now. A stack of them looks like they will last me, but then I'll have to add more myself. Surely I can automate it a little more.

Even a Barrel can be automated, if you look at it properly. Each shearing of leaves making dirt to make the forest slightly larger. To grow a stockpile for my garden, and a stockpile to be sifted to catch more wind blown seeds.

Wind. Blown.

There's another idea. I just need to tap that endless wind. But, not today.

With these stones as shields in place, the trees can only grow so high, this makes them easier to harvest while I'm doing the work myself. When I started, a large tree was a wealth, but it was also costly, taking much more resources to cut it down. Once I had those resources I desired the large ones more. Now that I have so many trees I find myself not desiring them, while still knowing I will again change my mind.

With this work I find myself, hungry, and so a new task.

In the sky this is unseemly wealth. It's also only the start of my plans. Wheat, carrots, potatoes, egg-plant, lettuce, sugar. Even cactus and mushrooms. Apples, dragonfruit. Cocoa! The overlords have given hinting temptations that is just the start. Though I am slightly uneasy, if the magic here is strong enough that the eggplant actually has eggs, it might be dangerous to hatch them. I should make... a machine.

The chickens might serve as sacrifice, so that I need not spill of myself for this. It is a tempting thought. From just the start of chickens, perhaps I might grow a mighty and dark altar. Or maybe not, this thing is dangerous.

My eyes do not enjoy seeing naught but bare cobble, and a land so thin below my feet, even with the knowledge of more platforms below is not comforting. So I've made a proper start. Solid and decorative, stone and brick. Though I'll need a better light then torches. Right now I'm still just a spilled bucket from disaster.

Last edited:

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont

I sifted so much dirt over the last few days, sheared leaves into dirt time and time again, and finally the wind rewarded me, seeds on the wind, a rubber tree seed. Planted, watered and it grew for me. Sadly I was not able to get any seedlings, this specimen was nonviable. Such things happen, not everything has enough will to live in an empty world.

With the better heat source to make lava more rapidly, I've got enough lava to use for other things. Casting it inside a stone barrel lets me get obsidian, and with obsidian I've got new options for tools. Now that I've got a proper smeltery and enough resources that I don't have to worry, the time has come. A full set of stone parts, a large batch of aluminum brass, and a full set of casts. I can now make every part and any material. This one is made from obsidian and alumite in the blade, a proper lumber axe to make short work of the small forest I am growing.

Meanwhile I've gathered enough eggs from the eggplants and grown in need enough of feathers to take some risks. I've built a spy chicken containment unit... well, a nice stone cage to hold the chickens in until they grow.

From those feathers I will be able to make a proper start on a number of magics and finish some of the writing that I'd been neglected. It'll be nice to get this onto paper.

Still, I've got a few more tricks. I've let water leak out into stone to promote the growth of moss, and used that moss in my tools, but now I'm going to let some water grow infested with spores to produce witch water. Witch water saturates sand enchanting it, magic transforming it into soul sand that I can sift carefully into further unusual materials that I need.

Also the mushrooms don't hurt. Any source of food is useful at this point, though I'm going to do something about it and make the matter of my diet will soon be solved.

The soul sand has some fascinating things glittering in it. While I was working through it I also finally digested enough dirt.

Now, it seems using a grafter isn't a useful thing on this kind of tree, but I was able to get enough saplings, this time the rubber tree was viable. So now that I can grow these along with my entire forest of trees, though with the lumber axe I've removed the stones from above them. I'm switching back and forth from regular oak with more leaves to spruce that produces more charcoal. The spruce is also useful in getting podzol, and that in turn has it's own uses.

So, now that I've got enough things started, and things can take care of themselves, I'm going to take care of myself. Farming. Not just a sampling of it, but all of it. Crops carefully grown, raised, crossbred, and slowly, slowly I got them into as good a quality as I could. Just a few of these maxed out seeds produce a half stack of resources in such a short time. Still, I've got few options.

The most valuable seed I have is one the overlords granted me for filling a demand from them. The eggplants, the ones that let me grow the chickens down in the containment unit. The eggplants themselves are not overly useful though they can become a rather tasty soup.

I'd call them a strong third place.

Now, in order to get a proper start, I take some of that dirt I'd been composting for, again and again, and sift it. Carefully sifted for those seeds, and eventually I was able to get a complete set of the most basic seeds. From them I am able to make the start of a green empire in the sky. That is to say, a pretty good salad and enough meals to keep me alive.

From the basic seeds, crossbreeding and mutation produce more crops. Those get carefully raised and soon I've got more in my diet then just baked potatoes and carrot soup.

Better then the eggplant was the evening I discovered soy. It seems that soymilk hasn't enough fat in it to properly replace milk, though perhaps once I figure out how to get almonds I'll have alternatives I can use. Still, firm tofu makes a lovely replacement for many things. I need not raise myself a farm of hogs to get something that looks like bacon.

I spent many days working and growing, and it came to me, that quartz I got from the soul sand, it's just what I needed most, to make the magnet. I can't tell you how much easier this makes gardening. How much easier it makes everything in life up here. It took me a long time to make sure I was solid on food before it even occurred to me that I should do something to make my life easier.

The most impressive crop I discovered was one I'd never seen before. A plant that grew near the glowstone formations in the nether and took into itself. The spores this fungus releases glow slightly and when collected can function as well as glowstone. This plant means I have less dependance on sifting dust, now I only need it for redstone. Almost everything else I can get from dust, I can get better from netherack or gravel. Even sand has pretty good returns.

Yes, the first place and most valuable crop was not a food. These plants have potential that I'd not grasped until I saw that. As an honorable mention peanuts are a very valuable crop. I could eat sandwiches made from peanut butter and a new jelly every day for a month if I get tired of every thing else.

The last of the crops required me to sieve more exotic materials to get the last few shrubbery, blueberries, kiwi, a world of fruit all linked to the berry bushes sieved out of topiary grass.

Now, most amusingly, even with days of crop breeding there where a few things that I was not able to obtain. Still the good folks at Pam's have an option for that. White mushroom spores, strawberry seeds and spinach, I was able to order them from the marketplace. The sacrifice of a few emeralds transformed into the seeds I needed.

In the future I'll be able to do the same with gold to get some of the exotic trees, if I desire to expand my diet even further.

Yet this is a vast expanse of things I could grow. The job is not complete, for me to branch properly into botania I'll need exotic flowers. Such things are possible, sifted podzol sometimes has traces. Flowers can be crossed in this highly magical atmosphere to get them as well. I'll grow a small plot of them until such time that I need them.

I grasp mightily for a way to make the size of the task I have done make sense to me. This is a struggle to shape. While I worked I sifted gravel and stored the resources. The chest is quite large and heavy with ore and ingots. I took every seed that wasn't viable, that didn't help me with this task and brought them to the squeezer. Each was only 1% of a bucket, a drop of seed oil.

When I'd competed this task I set myself, there where 14 buckets worth of seed oil on hand. If I take a desire to produce bees and bee products, honey for my meals and a universe of materials, I've got enough to properly start the journey.

Now, I've got seeds. Seeds need earth to grow in. Back to my forest, but I tire of shears, even if I had some that could be easily repaired they are too manual a tool. Even invar does not make them last long. Even if I could enchant them, unbreaking would not save them. No, I've another use for this enchanting table.

Magical wood. Crafted from books I'd enchanted on the table. This is a material strong enough to make a tough binding, and yet the enchanted books leave it desiring magic. This means I'll be able to work with it the same I had the paper binding on my first tools.

And thus, a scythe, crafted with alumite blade, tough tool rods of invar and a binding of magical wood. A silky gem, just a touch of magic, and the scythe will shear the leaves. Thus rather rapidly I am able to get myself the dirt I will need to expand this farm. Still, I've the products of the farming I did and the cross breeding was not always without issue. I've got myself food enough, and in myriad forms of deliciousness. It has been a good harvest.

Last edited:

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont

Plans I have call for more then just a few slowly melting bits of stone in a few crucibles. Time to build up the production. Before it was about 7 crucibles from one of the extruders, but I've found this one can be upgraded, it seems to keep these filled with ease. Still with the speed that it fills the drum I'm not entirely in a hurry to expand, yet. Nice to know, though, still, I could change to another system.

The spare cobble goes into the hammer, and the gravel into the sifter. I've got the same solar powering things and a dynamo to take up the slack if I overload the capability they have. Still, I've food enough to sleep through the nights lately, it's got power to run more often then not. Course this is a slow system.

I've got time. that chest is going to fill up by itself, but that just means I've got time to do other things. With what I'm shortest on being the ender materials, my next step seems obvious to me. To sit here and kill things as they show up in a little box, over and over. Bones and bonemeal always helpful, the heads will have purposes of course, but treasure pouches and the like are most valuable, as is the occasional dead enderman. I keep suspecting that something sinister happened as there's more of the brainy zombies then I've seen before anywhere else. It's enough to make me uneasy.

I've also setup this little workstation, it smelts down stone and builds the two kinds of blocks that I use most in the decorative layer that thickens my floor. I often find that it's completely processed another batch in less time then it takes me to make a floor properly safe. Another floor covered and now the chest is getting a little full. Time to update the layout again.

With the autopackager in place the ore shards will be formed into gravel that I can break down at my leisure. Still, it'll take a long, LONG time to fill that custom chest. Never seen anything larger, unless it was a deep storage unit, or perhaps a drive. So now I've got the time to take care of other things. I've also got enough lava.

Lava can be netherrack. It's a useful material. Fires on it last longer. Worked into a furnace the fuel lasts longer. This material has almost as many products as stone, and a few that are even more exotic, but I'm afraid to enter the nether where it exists. The overlords said that this world was destroyed when hell opened forth and consumed the world. All the resources, even the earth itself, is in there.

Now I've taken the matierals that I stocked up, melted them down and made more machines. With a little tinkering I've even gotten the setup to look more elegant and work more efficiently. Now these are producing dusts, and it's easy enough to move the cobble down the line to sift out gravel if I need more diamonds. In the meantime I've got more redstone. Quite useful stuff redstone.

While this gets a chance to build up a stockpile, I've another project here. I know I'll be short on ink as soon as I get started on the magic properly, and ink means squids. They might be the last peaceful creature in the world even if they don't make good company and they are mighty tasty in a leafy fish sandwich. With a bit of work they also make lovely fishbait to help me get the other more unusual species that swim these waters.

Nothing like a bit of variety to improve the diet, though honestly most of it is fish sticks and more leafy fish sandwiches, once I stack them I can't quite remember what was what. Once I get enough ink sacks I'll have another piece of the puzzle in place. I'll be able to make a shift to include more magic in my life, and it is very powerful here.

I've also found a solution to the dangers of having to have a room in darkness to get glowstone from my plants. That small light up there is enchanted and protects the room, even though it's dark no monsters will find it.

As I expand the floor and decorate, I even manage to make the little soul sand farm look good. Sometimes it's just the little things.

Other times it's putting over two stacks of glowstone to use with a small forest of torches to make lamps that can Illuminate the darkness no matter what. This combined with having four times more of the hardened glowstone bricks should mean that no amount of mistakes I make could ever cause my platform to be overwhelmed.

Speaking of overwhelmed, I've got four smelteries now, not counting the 5th one over by my workspace, though I should make them a touch larger, they won't be as easily overwhelmed as the single one was. Seems they are quite content sharing blocks.

With a bit more work, some experimentation and some elegant use of filters the sifted and packed dust will quite happily flow into the smelteries and be melted down. Lava finds itself into the tanks and all is well. Course now I've got liquid metal to deal with. Filtering liquids is slightly trickier, but one can fill a bucket and teach the filter that way.

I've got enough aluminum that I started the testing here. A stack of casting molds and a fluid transposer produces a nice first attempt system to get blocks of metal all at once. Still the molds are fragile and break easily. Perhaps it would be better to use a casting basin. Right now with just the one sifter, the dust builds up slowly.

Seems for now I can cast it a single ingot at a time. Once I build the smelting block higher it'll hold even more with even less trouble. Still, this has to tick, it has to flow through the hopper. I suspect I can do better.

My mind keeps turning, if all the resources of this world where consumed, where pulled away, I could go in after them, couldn't I?

I just need to be prepared. A single quick look couldn't hurt me too much, I've got my bed...

Last edited:

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont

Dizzy. Sick. World spinning. Thoughts slow, sluggish.

Head slowly clearing. I could have been killed before I was properly able to defend myself. Very first thing is to build a shelter, something to defend the portal and to give me a little space to breathe when I land.

These dimensional trips are never easy, but it does look like my theory was right.

The resources of the world are here. Even the earth and sands are here, in strange tainted and transformed states. This corrupted stone is soft and easy to remove, but it's been tainted, infested, any digging often releases swarms of burning motes, little hellfish that are dangerous to fight and hard to strike. Even if I don't find hellfish, sometimes the ore I'm trying to claim will explode.

That's the least of the dangerous. The magic aura is even stronger here, motes and wisps spontaneously generate and attack with sparks of lightening. The bats that I'd been expecting to be nesting in my platforms are here, mutated into living bombs.

Everything here is dangerous and almost everything is hostile. Sometimes a pocket of pigmen have not noticed me yet, though most of the time they too thirst for me, ready to consume my flesh. Revenge perhaps for the pork I've had before.

Truth is, I can't dare to let them live until they do recognize me as a threat, even a pack like this I must take out. Else some might get in near my portal and take me out while I'm recovering. Once I've cleared the area it's back into the portal again.

Some of these materials are exotic enough that I want to melt them down in the smeltery and examine the properties of them. Aradite should make my tools strong enough to harvest even more exotic things from the hellscape, when I become brave enough to return.

Others have to go into the furnaces, the corruption burned out in the hottest flames I can manage. The infernal impurities, like drawn to like, enter the fire and are consumed. This gives me some pure samples of ore, rare and scarce to work with. The netherrack that I'd collected is likewise hammered and sifted, other rare samples of ore inside of it, more resources that I can use.

It's a handy little stockpile stolen back from the infernal flames, but not nearly enough if I was to only get a single ingot from each one. A bit of half forgotten lore enables me to make a strange and chaotic device, still self evident even if random. It takes far more fuel then anything else has before, and is the slowest machine I have, and yet the rewards are worth it.

Some of the loot I'm preserving in a chest, the raw ore so very useful for farming latter. The rest will help me progress faster, giving me a boost. I've plans that will use much of this in one vast project, the gains fit the scope of my idea, but I've other needs first.

That strange ore, the alumite does indeed have properties worth looking into. When my builder's wand is exposed to a small amount of it, it grows more powerful. As I've been wanting to grow my platforms larger and taller this will be a grand help. It takes hours instead of days, even with placing the lights to keep me safe.

For one of the projects, I need to make a small change to the very nature of this empty world. I need to fill it. With chickens. The chickens are feral, and dangerous, and must be contained. Thus this chicken containment device MK II. Yes, a hopper to collect the eggs and shed feathers, a clock to automatically fire in more eggs, and lava to burn those that grow out of control. This provides an anchor so that another project can be safe.

Behold, an open field of grass. A risk that's not easily taken when all the animals of pen and field have gone vicious and dangerous. Still with the chickens contained they cannot report back, they cannot tell what they spy, and that means I won't be invaded.

Further, a simple trap, a bit of bait, and other scouts are tricked, trapped, and ... become valuable contributions.

With the builder's wand, and lots of the iron I'd claimed I'm able to make this structure. Dark enough for monsters to spawn, but not large enough for things to get out of hand. The tracks push the monsters in to the drop, the drop weakens them slightly and I can come in with my blade to finish the job. Sometimes there's an escape, but I've got gates and fences to help reduce that danger. I'd call this safe enough, even if it is only temporary.

These monsters are making contributions as well, the ender are the most dangerous, but I've mostly built this to resist them from entering the world. It also resists spiders. The next upgrade will put the witch water to use, to transmute and transform these monsters into more dangerous and deadly foes. Truth be told I need the resources.

There are resources I don't need as much anymore, things for storage and archive. The first of these, but perhaps the most important is the cobble generator. I've given it an update so it's not an eyesore, and stored it safely away.

Likewise I've got enough stacks of earth for my purposes of the moment, so I've rebuilt the composter down here as well. I can always come down with pumpkins and fill the chest if I discover that I am short, or if things go horribly wrong, it will be here.

Last edited:

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont

A little research and I discovered that in order to use wind power as well as possible, I'd have to build up higher, taller. Once I'd gotten far enough to catch the wind, it was a matter of decorating the platforms and placing the lights to ensure my survival. I'd thought I was done before, hopefully this time it is actually and honestly the truth.

As a test subject I've selected the squeezer. I don't mind if it works slowly, I'm using it to process excess, I'm working on seed oil ahead of the demand for it. Yes, this does mean I've returned to working on my plants. Building up the collection even further. This time I even did the magical seeds. I've gotten plants for most of the metals now, as exotic a device as that sounds and built a small stockpile of materials from it.

There remain just a few things I've not grown, harvested, and stored back in this chest. I've plans for a nice garden here in the sky, all of these strange flowers, alive and vibrant. It would be nice to have something more then stone to see. Still, for now I've got enough food stored, enough supplies, and it's time to press onward. Some of these plants have had quiet strange and exotic fruit indeed.

Once again the failed seeds, the ones that where not good enough to preserve have become quite a stack. It's become a useful stockpile of seed oil for latter. I'll need to treat and preserve wood with this in due time. Seems it's also useful in trying to attract bees into hives for capture. It would be nice to have company, other then the chickens. Even if the company wants to sting me to death for taking honey.

One of the more valuable resources to come from these plants, the ever stranger mutations, was some ender orbs. Quite a few things could be upgraded with them. I've even upgraded the quite expensive decoration... Strange... I could have sworn the name was something else when I made it.

Still, I've upgraded this lovely device. I can break down an ore in seconds. Should be able to produce more arcane quantum effects rather rapidly as well now.

I'd heard a rumor that others had been taken as well, and that where's a device to make to bridge the gap into another world where he's been stranded. Not the most complicated of things to make, little more then quartz from the ruins of the world and some stone that has had marks etched into it. I'll likely make more of the emininance stone to refine the gateway into something a little more attractive.

Seems the isolation has driven this villager completely insane. He's made a structure and given himself a little light, but has made no further attempt to save himself. Not even the smallest of farms. I suspect that it has something to do with the fact that no matter how long I stood here, trying to converse with him, there was never any sign of dawn. If I was alone in a world of darkness, nothing but eternity on all sides, perhaps I too would have lost my mind.

Another project rebuilt. This time instead of a simple bit of lava, or even flames on netherrack I've constrained the most dangerous fire I could claim. Pure pyrothium. Somehow hotter then lava. More dangerous. Harder to contain. Yet a quite useful material. Spare stone stored in a series of storage drawers, self compacting for neatness.

Next up, just a little higher up in the tower. Stone into sand, dust, and gravel. I remember when I was sifting by hand. All this I've built from nothing. Still, not enough. I've only begun to answer the demands of the overlords and the world is still much a void.

The sifted material goes into the largest chests I can make, to prevent any trouble that might occur if I've got this wrong. Then into some very special chests that compress the dust into blocks for me. The pipe work, the servo's, the filters, some of the most complicated work I've ever done. Having the right number of upgrades in each of the places so that none of them overwhelm what comes next was quite troublesome and might need further adjustment over time.

The most fascinating adjustments are having to filter and bypass for aluminum and the odd behavior of yellorium. Some products get taken earlier, some just pass into the trash. I even had to use two kinds of pipe and two systems in order to make everything work. I'm honestly very proud of this.

Not proud enough to stop though. A huge wall of storage is needed to store everything that the system makes, complete with some of them set to throw extra into the void. I've also overbuilt to make sure I've got enough room to continue to expand.

Speaking of expansion, this system has taken far more power then I was able to make before. The new source of lava lets me feed a massively overclocked magmatic generator, but it's the supplemental fuel sources that bridge the gap. The small peat bog is admittedly an experiment, one that I'll soon be phasing out. Maybe if I'd realized just how easily I could make this fuel easily in the beginning I might have used it more. Still, no regrets, no worries, I move forward.

I look forward. Growing an entire chest of water shards from ice. I'm going to need more then that to make things stable and I cannot depend on automation for all the shards. Two resist my efforts, and so I cannot have the balanced clusters I used before. Still, blue and sky, there's a unity there.

Another tease. These decorative stands can hold quite a bit more then the other kind. Even the rings fit neatly on the tray. When I get serious about looking into the magic, I'm going to need that.

First though, I have other needs. Storage. That automated system is churning out material, and that's the least of it. I've chest after chest, and they are very large ones, cluttering my space.

I need to go digital.

Last edited:

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Quick request, could you put each post in a spoiler please? It takes forever to load the page at the moment and it just jumps around with all the pictures appearing all over the place.

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont

Company.

Yes, it's a pig. Yes it wants to kill me. No I don't mind that it's just bacon with an attitude about it's situation in life and trying to take it out on me. It's better then being alone.

I think I need to shift my focus, just a little. The overlords did say that they wanted me to rebuild the world.

So let there be a village. Enough grass to attract more animals and more company. It's lonely for me, so how much worse is it for the lone villager at the end of it all. I've made this place for him, and have started to seek company. There's a cure for the zombie bites, so I just need to find one of the ones that where villagers before the evil happened.

With the cure being distributed and a large enough village, it seems the natives of this world have taken little encouragement to start repopulating the world. At least this small corner of it that I've rebuilt for them.

Course if I want enough villagers for them to have an economy and become willing to trade, that'll be a bit more time.

So as a brief project, I'll just tidy everything else away into drives. Wire up the network to the main storage and see about finding places to network up a bit more. I'm finding some strange hints in research about these crystals that I'm using to construct the matter energy drives.

Though it looks like it's going to take far more research into the nature of crystals, and magic essences then I've done before. Far more then this little setup would normally provide.

Still, it looks like I might be able to force some things into existence through alchemy that I've not quite been able to explore before. Side effect of having a world's worth of magic to work with, when there's no world left.

I've never seen a spinning wheel that crafts things by itself with magic, nor a set of possessed gem cutting tools, but I seem to lack the required escentia to actually form anything. Still the theory behind it looks good, perhaps I should refine myself an ordo gem, for reasons, and protection.

Looks like I might be able to spin some magical cloth that would make a very fine suit. Better then the one that king was wearing, so many worlds away. Invisible clothing, soft and light is good, but it won't turn a blade.

Still, that's enough musing. That king is far away, and I've not quite gotten things far enough in magic so that I could make for myself such clothing.

On the other hand, the small village seems to have really woken up. It's as if the others had been somewhere else and only needed to know there was a safe place to live again.

Every one of them seems to have a trade worth having. Wands more powerful then I've seen before that charge from nothing. Nitor to speed my alchemy. Safari nets with animals I'd otherwise never get to see. Seems that some of these trading voyagers came from very far away indeed if they where able to bring me a wolf.

This proud fellow, he's brought some of the rarest. Some of the things I've been needing the most. Much safer then risking the netherworld, this seed to grow quartz for myself.

Though the price demanded was rather insane, I'll be able to take trimmings and grow more of them for myself now that I have them. Sure, does not sound like he wanted too much, only a handful of emeralds, but all in all he demanded over two double chests of emeralds.

This is the richest villager that I've ever heard of in the worlds.

With the final crop obtained, through trades with the most wealthy villager I've ever had the misfortune to bribe, it's time to turn some of this world into a garden unlike any that has been seen before.

Everything in the right place.

For some of those that means a dark room protected from monsters with magic. For others that means block after block of rare metals and ores placed into the floor.

Still, I've healed this small portion of the world. If it isn't growing here, it can't be grown. A small bit more research and the last things will take root, here in the sky.

Yes, a garden in the sky, I'm very satasfied with myself today.

Last edited:

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont

Explosions, sudden excitement. A sharp and sudden start. The resources I'd so carefully hoarded. The most treasured rewards. The sharpness of my blade, potion of strength and as much healing as I could muster. I'd even consumed diamond apples to get the smallest edge further.

Foolishly I'd not thought to bring milk. Still I survived with the prize. I paid the price of admission. Time. Time spent using witch water on every skeleton I could find. Harvesting the heads. Then making a small space in the nether safe enough for the task. Including drilling a hole down to the stone that can't be broken.

From the withers, two, I've taken a few treasures, including a sigil and directions for a ritual. Thus it was, with the coming of the night I was in the sky with silk touch and a sacrificial lamb. Some of the very land was accursed by the sacrifice, the grim lightening, and the zombies thus born. On the other hand the sigil was activated. Truth be told, even the cursed earth has a use and a purpose here in the landless sky. Though for now I shall keep it contained within a chest, locked up so that it cannot bring further darkness and destruction in this already devastated land.

The sigil, coming as it does from a being of pure and unending destruction, is a dangerous thing. When activated with the ritual it has a sliver of this power within itself, a sliver of destruction. When you craft with it, you form small unstable holes in reality, ingots of impossibility. Reality refuses this. If it ever exists as more then theory, as anything you could hold in your hand, the world destroys it in an explosion. Though some would say that that it is the ingot itself that explodes, the result is the same, destruction.

Still, it is possible to have very small fragments, if you make a vaster sacrifice. With the value of the object I am attempting to forge, I make this larger sacrifice. Obtaining nuggets of instability, and with them the ingots, and thence into wings. Flight. Flight is mine.

Still, there is nowhere to go, what good is being a bird in a sky where there is nowhere to land? I'll remain here, close at home. I will continue to fix and expand what I can here. The next project I can do with these machines will take much of the crystal, and not just the crystal, it must be charged, some of it must be purified, others must be mixed with other reagents to form vast amounts of the fluix. That too must also be refined and purified. Still, I've done this before, just in a smaller form. So I'll process and stockpile this, letting it build while I seek for other goals.

Much have I been working with science, little have I taken from magic, though I've felt that there is much here waiting to be tapped. I'll need to clear out quite a bit of space to do this well. The various machines that I've put in place to do my work, need places to be, but a little further away from the center. I could perhaps build more platforms, push them further out, but better to use what I have smartly.

There come to be fewer and fewer uses for this machine, Q.E.D. it goes into the furthest corner. It does have a use or two, so it is not destroyed, or broken up and stored. Just left here to be forgotten. Yet not forgotten, my mind keeps bringing up things I might do with it, or at least things I might make, if only to prove myself.

Beef Welington. Rainbow Bacon. So much nicer to have these to feast on, instead of the most basic sup of seed soup and chicken jerky. While I might gain from a machine that would prepare food for me, I like the feel of it. I like to get my hands in it. Keeping a nice kitchen keeps me grounded. It helps me feel sane and real here in the sky. It's like my garden, here to help me be myself.

A little bit of work and I've set up storage for the arcane and obscure substances of magic. Not yet all of them are here and in this place, this is as of yet just a start. Still I've found how to make the shards. Hidden within things I can create, the hammer to set them free, and there's my shard of element. The sins, those where harder. I had to delve into the nether to get these. Though I've found a research that promises that this is the only time. The art of alchemy, that subtle science, with a softly simmering cauldron, that is the promise. Still, that is the future, and it will be the future soon.

Yes. The future.

I'd finally gotten enough of the resources from those machines that I could make the chips and circuits, and process though. It's a small enough system but it can take over much of the regular crafting that I've been needing. Though it cannot do much of what my magical investigations require, there's a hint of lore, a fragment, much of it lost. I might just be able to bridge this gap between the two.

It's going to be the future soon. First though, hard work. A section replaced with magical stone, more durable, resistant to the strange accidents of magic. There are things to do, to create and infuse, but I lack anything more magical then this stick. Still if I concentrate more power and am careful to balance it?

Yes, balanced clusters instead of single shards allows me to create this matrix with much less outlay of magic then I had been expecting. Still I have to spend a little time fighting the captive monsters in order to fill the wand again before I can put it to proper use.

Thus is my first wand completely drained. Consumed in the making of the altar. A sacrifice. Still it's little more then a stick, it's easy enough to make another and fill it from the escenes of monsters.

A little more research and it seems there is indeed something that I can use to take the place of silverwood. Not in everything, but in the place of the core of the filter. While the purity of the node touched silverwood is rather important in the production of a filter, it is not required.

Silk, tightly woven into mesh, wrapped and compressed, warped and twined with a stream of magic lets it replace the body of the filter, forming a dense core that can purify escentia and make it suitable for infusion.

Now, given that I'm working with improvised tools, it's perhaps for the best that I not try to use this new structure of mine just yet. I want some stability. A little help.

In a sky of blue, here is a sea of crystals. Enough to increase the stability of my altar, even further then I have pushed it before. Truth is, I need all the help I can get, what I've planned to make is highly dangerous. It's good that the crystal of water can so easily be refined from natural sources. It's ice itself that gives the water shards, water already in a natural crystal, so it needs only a small nudge to become something I can use.

Before the great task that I've planned, one test, a simple test. A little infusion. A few aspects channeled into a lens. A smaller version of the thaumamiter, but this one is small enough to fit over one of the goggles that I'm wearing already. This should let me scan things faster. TO let me understand things better.

Though perhaps I've already seen too much...

Last edited:

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
(I had a few days of grumpy frustration and took it out on old posts of mine. So lets get some new posts in place, and some new likes? Thank you all who are still hanging in reading this ... insanity?)

Because of the depletion, the withering of reality from the hunger of the demonic powers that drained the world I am dependent on this smeltery for my tools. Otherwise the materials are too impure and brittle to withstand use. Thus here it is, in pride of place, as tall as possible, but still slightly incomplete. one more step ahead of me, to make this even more mighty. Still though, as in so many other projects, not yet. I have to patch holes before I push too much further.

Stack em tall. The weakness in the tools, it's also here in the gears. Formed with the lesser tools of the crafting bench the gears don't hold up long enough to be used in any machine that I want to last. This project does not have to be as vast and mighty as my main smeltery. I want it to have a very small footprint and be just a small, reasonable machine. In turn I will give it the same upgrade as the larger beauty, once I'm able. Still, I shall do what I can.

For a start, what I can do is make it beautiful and ensure that not even spiders can show up inside of the device. Now that I can produce gears easily many more things can be set into place. I've set it to ensure a small stockpile for the next step in my upgrades. The next upgrade is the autocrafting itself, teaching it to make the parts to make itself better. Then taking it into pieces and putting those pieces back, as they where, but even moreso.

With this many chambers, and each loaded with as many speed boosts as possible the power demands are hungry, massively hungry. My first impulse is to take advantage of the height I've carefully established, one layer at a time until I was high in the eternal sky. To catch the wind, and draw power from it. Resonant machines with enderium rotors that shall never wear out. Sadly this isn't enough. The wind that has been a small assistance now and then nolonger suits my needs. Still I shall have these in place until I've crafted better for myself.

Earlier I crafted pyrothium to massively overcharge the lava production and I have regretted it, though it is a most dangerous substance. In the deep layers of this world, the stone is melted down by this ever burning heat. Now the lava courses in the pipes and fuels the magmatic engines. Each of them able to produce more power then the conduit system can handle. For each accomplishment there is a sign of what must come next. Each system built on the last.

While the stockpile of lava is deep, the barrel full and easily refilled, the system mighty, I must be careful to not let it run out. So further grow I. Autocrafting and deep pockets let me produce even the advanced solars without too much trouble. Still, even with upgrades these can't replace the magma power, and at night it gains me nothing. This has drained much of my supplies, but given me enough power to work with. Turn, and turn around to the next.

Deep breath, relax, and a brief visit to the garden. The last two squares filled in with berry bushes, both tasty ones from the overworld, and twisted forms gathered back from the underworld. They come with the most unlikely of bonuses, but it can take so long to get enough of them to be of use. Still, time, space, those are the resources in a skyblock. I've got enough time for anything, for everything.

It'll take a brush with Botania to finish this garden still. There are flowers yet undiscovered. The seeds for the rarest berry are fossilized and locked within solid stone. Still it is not beyond my reach. Another takes the infernal influance of the darkest magic. A third the purity of silverwood. Still the garden is a peaceful place to rest. I think it looks even better with the ducts connected to the sprinklers, rather then the quaint channels.

In the skyblock, materials are either endless or unable to be obtained. For each of these things that I can make with ease, I slowly teach this world machine of mine to make it for me. Next is glass. I used so much of it in making the solar panels. I'm going to need so much more of it as I progress and I can't always be stopping to melt down another stack of sand into the local glass. Maybe it would have been better to let the glass cool slowly in casting basins to make a less delicate and more pleasing material, but I'm not using it outside of the machines, so of all the tasks on my list, if nothing else, this one can wait.

The upgraded solars require, strangest of strange, rare earth materials that are only found inside of clay. I can come close to clay if I carefully grind down the stone into dust and combine it with water. This is easily collected, but as I have the filled containers it's best to combine two of these machines together. A matching set of stone barrels, this time placed close enough to mycelium to become infused with the spores gives me water with a bit of a twist. This twisted witch water imparts a touch of that life into soul sand, the same material from the nether regions. Twisted and tainted, but under my control. I've used it before in small doses to get the wither skeletons, but now I've let it into my world, to produce an endless supply of the soul sand.

The garden below was one with many crops but little magic. This garden is nothing but magical. The plants could not grow in the weak soil here, but I was able to produce podzol from a blend of pine needles and the soil, and with the crop sticks it seems to be enough support. The growth even of these seeds, strengthened as much as I can, is a little slow, but I get enough for what I need. Few of the flowers of Vaskii take more then a handful of petals.

The first material wood. Punch tree. Get wood. Now though I put the half starved wood from this dead world into the presence of the pure flowers and let it awaken again. These logs have more life in them and a strange sway over the natural world. These same flowers are also able to impart this spark of life into the sleeping stones. Livingwood, living stone. Materials ready to take into themselves magic and shape nature as I need.

Dayblooms to start, mana petals and next comes endoflame. A few drops of mana into a trickle. That mana infusing metal, ender pearls, and diamonds. A table to infuse mana and join it with material essences to form runes. With runes more possibilities open. The first thus crafted, a better source of potions. Many potion effects I'd not before seen are now mine for sampling.

The basic runes let me make a plate that is most power hungry, drawing much from my mana pool and the few flowers I have to generate my power. It turns this power and concentrates three magically infused items into one material that is more strongly magical then anything else I'd before encountered. Or so the lore of the book says.

... So far, I'm not having much luck.

Last edited: