Bug (Sky Factory 2.5.3) ME System Not Seeing All Patterns (9 ME Interface but only 8 seen)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
I havent posted here in ages. Good to see this site healthy and better than ever.

Due to certain LPs recently I have started up SkyFactory 2.5.3. Enjoying it so far except for a few bugs (or things I may just not understand well).

This one 'bug' or whatever Im doing wrong is driving me crazy though. I have a simple ME system started up, but for the life of me I cannot understand why when I set up my auto-crafting, it will not see more than 8 ME interfaces at one time. Below are some pictures.

I have tried to solve this myself but ive gone blind looking at the same thing too long. I need fresh eyes! Help me fix this, or please let me know why this limitation exists if it is on purpose. The patterns are also correct but this shouldent matter, the system should see all 9.

I do have a dense cable connected, but it still will only see 8 and not 9. I have plugged a cable into everything and its the same issue. The dense cable going into the controller are using 29 of 32 channels.

Any ideas?

MMvqoOu.png
RhMy3OL.png
oYOqBIs.png

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Doing more testing there seems to be a block distance limit of some sort. THis doesnt explain why hooking up a cable in more than one place wouldn't work.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
AE always calculates the shortest path back, and blocks have an implicit support for only 8 channels. As such, it wont matter if you have an alternate path via a dense cable to the controller, IF there is a potential shorter path through blocks - even if the shorter path has no available channels.

Reactions: Bigglesworth
M

MagicMage1238

AE always calculates the shortest path back, and blocks have an implicit support for only 8 channels. As such, it wont matter if you have an alternate path via a dense cable to the controller, IF there is a potential shorter path through blocks - even if the shorter path has no available channels.

Took me a minute, but I see what your saying now because there is a smaller cable hooked on the bottom at the ME Interface next to the Dense Cable.

But there is only 5 that are considered the closest to that cable and the other 4 would be closer to the dense cable? But dense cable looks like it is connected only to a assembler and not a ME interface... Could that be the issue?

(I'm asking because I'm just starting to learn the ME system)

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
He is using Dense Cable with 32 Channels.

The block the dense cable is connected to can only carry 8 channels. It is best to plan out in 4 groups using 8 channels max each for every dense cable/open controller face and avoid loops in the cable. Color coding will let you run separate lines of cable next to each other and help keep straight what is going where.

Reactions: GreenZombie

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019

This is the real answer. Its not about blocks/cables having 8 channel limits (I said I was BOTH using dense cables AND connecting them to more than one location on a cluster)

So the real answer as Chris Becke stated is that the limitation is present per cluster where onlyu the shortest path is selected. This implies that even if a cluster has two connections it will choose one and only one and limit it to 8 due to the path being shorter (or randomly chosen as the one is will use if they are the same length?)

Thats odd as ive seen other posts and images using many more than this. Perhaps I am missing something in how they connect these or this is a new version limitation?

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
The block the dense cable is connected to can only carry 8 channels. It is best to plan out in 4 groups using 8 channels max each for every dense cable/open controller face and avoid loops in the cable. Color coding will let you run separate lines of cable next to each other and help keep straight what is going where.

This is what I ended up doing last week. The limitation is unnecessary really. Only serves to make me separate the clusters by one block and cause confusing and annoyance.

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
A lot of players were complaining that AE was too quick & easy, so adding channels was something the dev came up with to complicate things while trying to keep it more interesting and not just more grindy. You can turn off the channel mechanic in the configs if you just want simple.