Simple yet... "full" Modpacks?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

fight4anarchy

Jul 29, 2019
So my son is starting to get into modded minecraft, but he talk's about how he feels a little overwhelmed with all the routes he can take etc etc. So I'm just wondering is their a modpack that "limits" the options but can still lead to full automation?

LordPINE

Jan 2, 2016
A good idea for starting out is playing either a pack with many quests which explain things, like Enigmatica 2 or Peace of Mind, or playing along with a youtuber like Direwolf20, who has his own pack. For a more limited modpack with automation, you could try making your own pack with just the full set of thermal mods (thermal expansion, thermal dynamics, etc.) and JEI. This can pretty easily be done with the twitch launcher.

Reactions: fight4anarchy

fight4anarchy

Jul 29, 2019
A good idea for starting out is playing either a pack with many quests which explain things, like Enigmatica 2 or Peace of Mind, or playing along with a youtuber like Direwolf20, who has his own pack. For a more limited modpack with automation, you could try making your own pack with just the full set of thermal mods (thermal expansion, thermal dynamics, etc.) and JEI. This can pretty easily be done with the twitch launcher.

Playing with a YouTuber or a questbook pack. Why didn't I think of that? Thanks for the brains jolt man, haha!

Reactions: LordPINE

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I would recommend Automaton (spelled exactly the same) it's a fairly light pack, focused around progressing from Immersive to AE2 to Mekanism. There are some recipe changes for the later two mods, but are both things that simple progression through IE will ensure he has. It has a questbook guiding you along the path. But it's definitely not a hardcore pack that will frustrate.

Reactions: LordPINE

fight4anarchy

Jul 29, 2019
I would recommend Automaton (spelled exactly the same) it's a fairly light pack, focused around progressing from Immersive to AE2 to Mekanism. There are some recipe changes for the later two mods, but are both things that simple progression through IE will ensure he has. It has a questbook guiding you along the path. But it's definitely not a hardcore pack that will frustrate.
I've seen that one before, but never done it. The fact that it's only a few mods would be a good thing! Thanks!

fight4anarchy

Jul 29, 2019
I've actually started doing Automaton myself, thanks to this. Never really done any of those mods. Always done EnderIO and, Extreme Reactors and Refined storage for my main mods. This should be fun!
C89G1yA

C89G1yA

LordPINE

Jan 2, 2016
Just so you know, those screenshots are broken. You have made me curious of their contents though.

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
I always give the advice to pick 1 mod and learn it on every play through. IMO the first mod everyone should learn is Tinker's Construct, as it gives you ore doubling and very nice tools. After that, I would say learn actually additions. With those 2 mods, there is almost nothing you can't do in modded.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
I always give the advice to pick 1 mod and learn it on every play through. IMO the first mod everyone should learn is Tinker's Construct, as it gives you ore doubling and very nice tools. After that, I would say learn actually additions. With those 2 mods, there is almost nothing you can't do in modded.

I would argue that getting into the Thermal Expansion mod set would be best for beginners.
Easy to make, fun to get deep into.
Mod set includes machines, power generation, and pipes. What more could you ask for in "getting to know" modded? :)

Reactions: Reddis