Shiny Ore super rare in my map

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
Literally just found my first piece after 3 days of playing. Makes it hard for tesseracts and things without it, lol. What are the numbers typically like in your packs? I'm currently playing DW20.

mattp_12

Jul 29, 2019
Literally just found my first piece after 3 days of playing. Makes it hard for tesseracts and things without it, lol. What are the numbers typically like in your packs? I'm currently playing DW20.
Shiny ore is quite rare... If you want shiny stuff, I'd recommend looking for ferrous and pulverizing it for a chance at some shiny dust.

Reactions: Cirom

HSIkMy

Jul 29, 2019
Shiny ore is basically impossible to find in both DW20 and Infinity. The intended method is induction smelter w/ ferrous ores

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Shiny ore is quite rare... If you want shiny stuff, I'd recommend looking for ferrous and pulverizing it for a chance at some shiny dust.
I would not recommend this method since it has extremely low chances for shiny production. If you harvest Redstone ore using any silk touch method, it can be Pulverized to yield cinnabar. Then using the induction smelter, place the cinnabar and ferrous ore to yield 2-3 (can't remember) ferrous ingots and a GUARANTEED shiny ingot for each ferrous ore.

Z

zaliack123

I would not recommend this method since it has extremely low chances for shiny production. If you harvest Redstone ore using any silk touch method, it can be Pulverized to yield cinnabar. Then using the induction smelter, place the cinnabar and ferrous ore to yield 2-3 (can't remember) ferrous ingots and a GUARANTEED shiny ingot for each ferrous ore.

This is the best method for getting large amounts of shiny ingots, however, if you want a more passive way for generating them, get an MFR mining laser with light blue filters. Hook it up to a few passive-RF generators, like immersive engineering thermoelectric generators, then give it a chunk loader. After a day or two, you'll have enough ingots for most of your needs.

Reactions: mattp_12

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
MFR lasers definitely yield the most shiny, but OP is clearly a fair bit off from that item. But OP, when you get to that level, go with the lasers if you're still short on certain resources.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Yeah, three Ferrous from Cinnabar.

Check the 'recipe' for Shiny. You should have the pop-up that gives you what levels it's found at. Mine says 18 is the best level.

Reactions: RedBoss

Cirom

Jan 1, 2013
It's also worth noting that upgrading your Induction Smelter (and Pulveriser) with the upgrade which increases Secondary Chance is also super helpful. Cinnabar your Ferrous Ore with improved Secondary Chance.. for every ore you smelt, there's an 81% chance of getting double. Almost 2x Shiny Ingots per Ferrous Ore! ;o

Plus, Pulverise your Redstone Ore for Cinnabar.. it may be less efficient, but when do you ever run out of redstone dust?

Reactions: RedBoss

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I laugh every time I need Redstone in modded MC. In vanilla I'd just give it away to people, not its the backbone material for so many items.

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
As others have said the best way around late-early game to mid game to produce shiny ingots is to pulverize silk touched redstone ore for cinnabar and then combine that with ferrous ore in the induction smelter to yield shiny ingots. Cirom is correct that as soon as possible it is worth upgrading your pulverizer and smelter to resonant and adding the three augments which increase the probability of secondary outputs. These upgrades are great to have at this stage in the game anyway so I usually rush them when I'm making enderium/tesseracts. I like getting 3 ferrous ingots and 2 shiny ingots per ferrous ore!

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Direwolf20 doesn't have it, but in packs with Nether Ores, Nether Redstone can be smelted into two Redstone Ore which can then be ground for cinnabar, if you don't have silk touch.

There should also be a recipe to create it with Thaumcraft Cinnabar Ore and the Liquid Transposer. I don't remember it off the top of my head though.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Edit: Note to self - learn to read thru the whole thread before posting information that has already been repeated numerous times. I'm a knucklehead. LOL

Shiny Ore is not typically found in the ground, in ore form, although with Nether Ores mod or similar, it can sometimes be found in the Nether.

But that doesn't mean shiny is rare. You just need to know the tricks to get it. There are two main ways that I know of.

1. This is an end-game method due to the power (RF) required. Make an MFR Laser with 4 MFR Prechargers (which each requires 10K RF/t to operate), and use six Laser Focus (Light Blue) in the MFR Laser (to enhance the amount of Shiny Ores).
2. This is the much-more common method applicable to early- or mid-game. Acquire Silk Touch on either your pickaxe (early game) or quarry (mid game) so you accumulate Redstone in its ore block form. Process the Redstone Ores in a Thermal Expansion (TE) Pulverizer to obtain TE Cinnabar (or make TE Cinnabar using Thaumcraft Cinnabar with Gelid Cryotheum as indicated above). Finally, put your Ferrous Ore Blocks (no silk touch required to obtain these, but do NOT process the ores into ingots!) into a TE Induction Smelter with the TE Cinnabar... the output will automatically include one Shiny Ingot!

tl;dr: Silk touch redstone ore blocks, process in TE Pulverzer to obtain TE Cinnabar, then process Ferrous Ore blocks with TE Cinnabar in a TE Induction Smelter - result = guaranteed shiny ingot

Reactions: Gaurdian23

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Shiny Ore does exist as a mineable ore. It's pretty insanely rare, something on the order of Iridium in Ultimate, but it does exist.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Shiny Ore is disabled in worldgen in many packs. Some packs have lots of it in worldgen enabled.

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
Direwolf20 doesn't have it, but in packs with Nether Ores, Nether Redstone can be smelted into two Redstone Ore which can then be ground for cinnabar, if you don't have silk touch.

There should also be a recipe to create it with Thaumcraft Cinnabar Ore and the Liquid Transposer. I don't remember it off the top of my head though.

It has had it in the past, but I'm using the most current version.