Shiny flying orb?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Hydreixorus

Jul 29, 2019
I saw this while going to my base and I was wondering what it was.
2013-02-03_10.25.49.png

Entropy

Jul 29, 2019
You have just encountered the lovely neighborhood wisp! He's from Thaumcraft! Don't get to close or he'll shock you.

Shalen

Jul 29, 2019
It's a wisp, an evil entity from Thaumcraft that shoots you lightnings. They spawn when there is a lot of Flux in a zone = you made sime bad magic

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
There is a magical energy called vis that makes up an aura that is in everything (air, ground, plants etc) It is composed of around 50 different essentia aspects which represent different things in the world (fire, water, metal, growth, change, emptiness, etc). Whenever there is a significant change in the aura, the vis ripples (like throwing stones into a pond). These ripples are called flux. Doing just about anything generates a flux - which is defined as the random and chaotic buildups in magic as a result of unbalancing the local aura.

When the flux levels in an area reach a certain amount, they will create a magical effect in the world and then dissipate. One of these effects spawns wisps.

tl;dr - doing magic creates flux as a byproduct. Flux is automatically used up in order to create random magical effects.

Reactions: ICountFrom0

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
It's a wisp, an evil entity from Thaumcraft that shoots you lightnings. They spawn when there is a lot of Flux in a zone = you made sime bad magic
They can also spawn in naturally tainted areas, such as the plains dungeons.

Korenn

Jul 29, 2019
They can also spawn in naturally tainted areas, such as the plains dungeons.
no they can't. the barrows (plains dungeons you refer to) contain a dark node which will continuously generate flux. The wisps you see there are also part of a node dumping flux, just not flux you created.

Also, most wisps aren't hostile unless provoked. Only wisps spawned through certain types of flux are hostile. They're generally red and purple.

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
no they can't. the barrows (plains dungeons you refer to) contain a dark node which will continuously generate flux. The wisps you see there are also part of a node dumping flux, just not flux you created.

Also, most wisps aren't hostile unless provoked. Only wisps spawned through certain types of flux are hostile. They're generally red and purple.
That's pretty much what I'm saying... The area is naturally tainted, not the effect of "you made some bad magic" like Shalen pointed out.

Korenn

Jul 29, 2019
That's pretty much what I'm saying... The area is naturally tainted, not the effect of "you made some bad magic" like Shalen pointed out.
There is no 'taint' in the area, there is a dark node. And you said they can spawn there, implying they spawn in the area similar to other mobs. This is blatantly untrue, so I corrected it.

Being cryptic is fine, but at least be accurate about what you do say.

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
There is no 'taint' in the area, there is a dark node. And you said they can spawn there, implying they spawn in the area similar to other mobs. This is blatantly untrue, so I corrected it.

Being cryptic is fine, but at least be accurate about what you do say.
I think you may be being just a tad bit pedantic.

Hydreixorus

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you all for your help :D
This "flux" stuff seems complicated xP But I know how I created an interruption in the Vis. I planted too many Silverwood Trees close together. I learned that they are the only way to absorb flux, yet if two are within a certain distance they create a flux. Now I know when to make Silverwood Tree farms to space them out.

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
I do believe that the size of pure node (the kind generated in silverwood trees) determines how much flux it absorbs per minute (or tick or whatever). If this is the case, it might be worth the temporary increase in flux to allow your nodes to merge and create a larger node which can handle more flux at a time.

for the record, it is the process of merging two nodes that creates flux. Having 2 silverwood trees in close proximity does not generate constant flux - it is a one time thing.