Sheep and Cow Farm (Beyond)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
J

Jeffwcollins

In previous packs i've used machines to breed and "harvest" cows, pigs, chickens, and sheep. What would be your recommended solution to automate breeding and harvesting in the FTB Beyond Pack?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
In previous packs i've used machines to breed and "harvest" cows, pigs, chickens, and sheep. What would be your recommended solution to automate breeding and harvesting in the FTB Beyond Pack?

Thanks in advance.
A couple of simple ones off the bat (assuming they're not disabled) for breeding are the Actually Additions Automatic Feeder or the Dark Utilities Feeder. They work nicely. If by harvesting you mean killing, then there's a options for that, but if you mean milking and shearing in the case of cows and sheep respectively, that I'm not sure about.

J

Jeffwcollins

Yea, sorry, I wasn't clear about the harvesting part. I really meant all of the above. Killing in a few pens, and shearing/milking in a few others. I am in the process of setting up a large farming and ranching area on my server, and want to get to the point of being able to make basically any food recipe available. The fun parts of this for me is the automation, but figuring out what automation options are available to me is where I am currently stuck. Thanks again for the input so far.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Yea, sorry, I wasn't clear about the harvesting part. I really meant all of the above. Killing in a few pens, and shearing/milking in a few others. I am in the process of setting up a large farming and ranching area on my server, and want to get to the point of being able to make basically any food recipe available. The fun parts of this for me is the automation, but figuring out what automation options are available to me is where I am currently stuck. Thanks again for the input so far.
That's OK! :) Now, I'm not super familiar with everything in 1.10, so you'll have to forgive me; I believe the Extra Utilities 2 mechanical user might be your friend for milking and shearing; the issue you've got is that sheep now don't grow back their wool unless they've "fed" on a grass block, so that can make it a little tricky.

J

Jeffwcollins

Hmmm, yea I didn't think about that. I "cheated" around the issue of grass growing back quickly with torcherinos in Hermitpacked, but now I'll maybe have to use bone meal or something else. Good catch. Also, the mechanical user is a great option. I usually use one of those with a vacuum hopper to automatically breed/spawn chickens from their eggs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Having thought about it some more, I wouldn't worry too much about the sheep shearing necessarily - Beyond has Actually Additions, which should have flax - that's a nice source of string, which makes wool. It's not as quick as shearing, but doesn't require pfaffing with sheep. And I like the sound of that with the chickens! :D nice.

So yeah, mechanical user on right-click mode with bucket, transfer node filtered to just pull out milk buckets would do it. Now, I don't think milk is a fluid, so no fluid storage with it as far as I know, but that might be worth a check.

Reactions: Jeffwcollins
J

Jeffwcollins

That's a great point about the flax seed. I also have a mob farm, so I can make wool from spider silk as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
For killing my favorite current setup is dark utilities baby blocks.
One way they let babies through, one way they let adults through.
So you set say 4-8 breading adults on a set of baby blocks with a feeder of choice in the middle.
2 blocks down you set inverted baby blocks.
2 more down set up DU damage plates.

Adults bread and babied drop, grow to adults and drop again to death.
Vacuum up the goodness.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
So you set say 4-8 breading adults on a set of baby blocks with a feeder of choice in the middle.

Vacuum up the goodness.
Yep - I have a similar setup for cows, it works really well :)

J

Jeffwcollins

That is Fantastic! I will most definitely look into these.

Now to finish Terra-forming the island that we are using for the farms and the ranches, then onto laying everything out, which will now include this idea of harvesting meat.

BTW, the milk is considered a liquid. I use an autonomous activator with buckets to "milk" them, then extract them into another tank (cant remember the name, sorry) that automatically pulls the liquid from the bucket and then extract and insert the empty bucket back into the activator to start it all over again. I then pull from that tank, and insert it into a drum for future use.

Thank you all very much!

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
That is Fantastic! I will most definitely look into these.

Now to finish Terra-forming the island that we are using for the farms and the ranches, then onto laying everything out, which will now include this idea of harvesting meat.

BTW, the milk is considered a liquid. I use an autonomous activator with buckets to "milk" them, then extract them into another tank (cant remember the name, sorry) that automatically pulls the liquid from the bucket and then extract and insert the empty bucket back into the activator to start it all over again. I then pull from that tank, and insert it into a drum for future use.

Thank you all very much!
Excellent, that's great news! :) whether its a fluid can depend on the mods you've got - it makes life a lot easier that it does for you, that's awesome - good luck with everything!

Softwerker

Jan 24, 2017

Vacuum up the goodness.

Oh yeah, I so gonna try that. I will not let them drop to death though, using the Mob grinder with luck upgrades should do the trick for me. But I totally forgot about the baby blocks.