Share your progress on Infinity Evolved Expert Mode

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
Twilight Forest has nearly no Copper thats why I stopped quarrying there.
Also by now I have 10k Copper from overworld so I could consider this again...

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
Even if they do not leave holes there, they destroy cave systems+ let stupid locking chunck boarders behind.
Also I prefere to use the World Hole upgrade since otherwise I can´t remember were I did or did not quarry already.
Happened to often to me that I quarried 20x20 chunck of Dirt :D

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I didn't think they ruined caves, but I agree they can make quarry borders look a bit sketchy in a non-dirt biome. (I actually don't mind that, its easier to determine where I've already quarried when I have these big dirt squares in the middle of a desert.)

Reactions: Dentvar

ToLazyToThink

Jul 29, 2019
I just managed to get my first 75 plutonium and got into a Big Reactor (7x7x7)
I get nice 11kRF/t but my plan to power a Laser Drill with it and get some more uranium for IC2 and/or yellorium got smashed down.
After not getting anything, I looked up the Focus chances in NIE and they are somewere below 1% for Uranium and Yellorium. I assume this is done to stop people doing just what I was doing and get a autosuficient BR setup :(
Any other way to get more Uranium or Yellorium that are not bees or moving quarry?

IC2 reactors are self sufficient with full lime focuses, at least this design is: http://prnt.sc/8493ea

Big Reactors are harder since uranium isn't ore dict'd with yellorium. This design isn't sufficient with passive cooling, but it seems to be with active cooling (I just got the turbine finished, I'm building up a backlog of yellorium, but still haven't burnt through the blutonium I used to kickstart it back up). I didn't try, but blutonium recycling might have been enough to make the passive version self sufficient. Either way, be sure to use the yellow focus, and as far as I can tell the SAG mill with dark steel balls is the best way to process yellorium.

But, the laser isn't all it's cracked up to be. It can make the reactors self sufficient, but it's missing several important ores. No electrotine, no thaumcraft shards, and no draconium.

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
IC2 reactors are self sufficient with full lime focuses, at least this design is: http://prnt.sc/8493ea

Big Reactors are harder since uranium isn't ore dict'd with yellorium. This design isn't sufficient with passive cooling, but it seems to be with active cooling (I just got the turbine finished, I'm building up a backlog of yellorium, but still haven't burnt through the blutonium I used to kickstart it back up). I didn't try, but blutonium recycling might have been enough to make the passive version self sufficient. Either way, be sure to use the yellow focus, and as far as I can tell the SAG mill with dark steel balls is the best way to process yellorium.

But, the laser isn't all it's cracked up to be. It can make the reactors self sufficient, but it's missing several important ores. No electrotine, no thaumcraft shards, and no draconium.
outta curiosity, does the laser pick up uranium (yellow focus?)
I'd love to see a spreadsheet with the laser focuses specific to this pack. There's spreadsheets throughout the net but nothing I'd say was comprehensive for infinity evolved.

Reactions: MigukNamja

ToLazyToThink

Jul 29, 2019
I'd love to see a spreadsheet with the laser focuses specific to this pack. There's spreadsheets throughout the net but nothing I'd say was comprehensive for infinity evolved.

Uranium is the lime focus, yellorite is on the yellow focus. Many previous packs had them configured so they could both be used in big reactors, but infinity expert has that disabled. Uranium can only be used in IC2 reactors, and yellorium can only be used in big reactors.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Uranium is the lime focus, yellorite is on the yellow focus. Many previous packs had them configured so they could both be used in big reactors, but infinity expert has that disabled. Uranium can only be used in IC2 reactors, and yellorium can only be used in big reactors.
Yeah I'm more interested in the uranium in my case. I removed big reactors from the pack on my end completely in fact.

edit: also, I realize now I asked a question you literally just answered above. My apologies. We should switch names.

Reactions: Lethosos

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
MFR laser drill is NEI compatible iirc, just look at uses for the lens or recipes for the ore and it should show up.

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
I'd more avoid it because of the extra effort required to modify whatever you add to fit, Big Reactors is very heavily nerfed after all, requiring huge amounts of plutonium to create them so just adding another reactor mod would almost certainly make things much easier when it comes to high rate power gen. I know the lightning rod was nerfed for being able to compete, it generated 120kRF/t for reference.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Why? You just dont like them or you found a better way?
Not a better way, I just want to test NuclearCraft instead.

I'd more avoid it because of the extra effort required to modify whatever you add to fit, Big Reactors is very heavily nerfed after all, requiring huge amounts of plutonium to create them so just adding another reactor mod would almost certainly make things much easier when it comes to high rate power gen. I know the lightning rod was nerfed for being able to compete, it generated 120kRF/t for reference.
Right. I don't really recommend you add NC unless you're prepared to be responsible about when you start it, or are willing to tweak its recipes a bit.

Granted, if its anything like Infitech2, the big reactors blutonium requirement isn't all that huge a deal. I've always garnered sufficient blutonium just by processing stacks of yellorite in the SAG mill with dark steel balls.

Either way, I'll be doing IC2 nuclear in my newest world before I get into NC at all. I just need another thousand copper or so (with no quarries) to complete an IC2 nuke array.

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
Not a better way, I just want to test NuclearCraft instead.

Right. I don't really recommend you add NC unless you're prepared to be responsible about when you start it, or are willing to tweak its recipes a bit.

Granted, if its anything like Infitech2, the big reactors blutonium requirement isn't all that huge a deal. I've always garnered sufficient blutonium just by processing stacks of yellorite in the SAG mill with dark steel balls.

Either way, I'll be doing IC2 nuclear in my newest world before I get into NC at all. I just need another thousand copper or so (with no quarries) to complete an IC2 nuke array.
Not blutonium, plutonium, Big Reactors was modified to require an RTG pellet per fuel rod block, so your basic 5x5x5 reactor with an X of fuel rods in the center? That's 15 RTG pellets, blutonium is unneeded, it's the piles of RTG pellets you'll be wishing for. Turbines are similarly horribly nerfed, each rotor shaft and blade requiring two iridium ingots.

That's part of what I predict missing with a different mod, the sheer incredible reliance on massive scale IC2 infrastructure to get anything decent out of it.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Not blutonium, plutonium, Big Reactors was modified to require an RTG pellet per fuel rod block, so your basic 5x5x5 reactor with an X of fuel rods in the center? That's 15 RTG pellets, blutonium is unneeded, it's the piles of RTG pellets you'll be wishing for. Turbines are similarly horribly nerfed, each rotor shaft and blade requiring two iridium ingots.

That's part of what I predict missing with a different mod, the sheer incredible reliance on massive scale IC2 infrastructure to get anything decent out of it.
So that wasn't just a big typo, fantastic :)

Ironically that's a major reason for the IC2 reactors: plutonium.

That said, it reinforces what I said above: this isn't anything I recommend for anyone else. I don't have MT scripting in place to maintain the proper balance and will have to rely other means in order to preserve anything like the proper experience (if I so choose on this new play through)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Speaking of IC2 plutonium in this pack: Xavion, you're good with math. Do you have any particular recommendation with regards to MOX vs Uranium reactors?

MOX actually quasi-breed plutonium last I checked, although I don't recall how much or how it compares to the plutonium produced by a standard reactor. But if I don't care about fuel efficiency, which reactor produces net plutonium more quickly?

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019

Accurate point, however, the MFR Laser is still the best source for a few oddball ores required in this modpack (such as Mana Infused Ore from Thermal Expansion, and there are 1 or 2 others that I forget since I haven't been playing the pack lately). I was told that Mana Infused ore does indeed spawn somewhere it can be mined by hand (I forget where exactly) but for me, the MFR Laser was extremely important.

Another place I used the laser was Nether Quartz. On the server I played on, we weren't allowed to Enderquarry in the Nether, so the MFR Laser became my primary source for Nether Quartz Ores.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Speaking of IC2 plutonium in this pack: Xavion, you're good with math. Do you have any particular recommendation with regards to MOX vs Uranium reactors?

MOX actually quasi-breed plutonium last I checked, although I don't recall how much or how it compares to the plutonium produced by a standard reactor. But if I don't care about fuel efficiency, which reactor produces net plutonium more quickly?

I think your answer is MOX, technically, but practically speaking I really don't know why anyone would go thru the extra effort of MOX reactors when spamming (I used a total of 8 which really isn't spamming them) the regular IC2 nukes will make plenty of plutonium if you allow them to run 24/7/365. If you are playing SSP and your world doesn't "work" when the computer is turned off... well, that's pretty much why I always try to play SMP with chunk loading. :)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I think your answer is MOX, technically, but practically speaking I really don't know why anyone would go thru the extra effort of MOX reactors when spamming (I used a total of 8 which really isn't spamming them) the regular IC2 nukes will make plenty of plutonium if you allow them to run 24/7/365. If you are playing SSP and your world doesn't "work" when the computer is turned off... well, that's pretty much why I always try to play SMP with chunk loading. :)
Good feedback, thanks.

Just a personal preference, but I don't really like letting the game complete long-term projects for me while I'm away. Put another way: I rate my own accomplishments by how much "in-game" time I took to complete them..

The MOX reactors aren't really more effort. Technically they're a bit less since you usually do MOX in a passive setup, which is about 41 billion times less complicated than an actively-cooled superheated-steam setup. (MOX fuel isn't any more complicated to create/automate than regular fuel)

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019

UU + Lightning rods is my preference, sure it takes ages to get going but a few XU or Ender IO generators will last you a while.

So yeah, I didn't really do much at all with IC2 reactors in this pack, just got a few with a design for maximal uranium -> plutonium production.

ToLazyToThink

Jul 29, 2019

I don't have it handy, but I did the math on this a while ago. MOX cycles through twice as quick, but since you you need so much plutonium to make it, you don't make that plutonium back till it's cycled for 3 real life days. So basically if you don't care about efficiency, and you still have U235 left, you're better off just making more reactors.