Setting up new FTB server on Windows Server

Gaming Lexus

Jul 29, 2019
In the next week I am going to be setting up a new server. One of its main roles will be to host FTB Infinity Evolved.

Whilst researching the best way to set this up, I’ve read many different opinions and I’m curious to hear people’s opinions on my own setup as you may be able to provide me with some helpful tips, tricks and advice that I may otherwise have missed.

I have a Dell PowerEdge T20 with the following hardware specs:
Intel Pentium Processor G3220 (3M Cache, 3.00 GHz)
16GB Unbuffered DDR3
1x Seagate 500GB HDD for OS
2x WD Red 4TB HDDs

I will be using Windows Home Server 2011 which is in essence Windows Server 2008 R2. I know the first comments I will receive will be telling me to use a Linux distribution but I do not have great knowledge of command line Linux and don’t have the time to dedicate to learning to the proficiency necessary to setup what I want. I am far more comfortable in a Windows environment and GUI which, I know is not optimal for performance and stability of a Minecraft server.

The purposes of the server are:
  • To store, share and backup data from my desktops and remotely
  • Run a FTB Infinity Evolved survival server (will never have more than 5 concurrent users)
  • Run a TeamSpeak 3 server
  • Run uTorrent
How much of the 16GB RAM to allocate to FTB in a batch file? 1GB minimum / 8GB maximum? If the server ever gets close to utilising 8GB of RAM, the server should probably be restarted anyway?

I have a 120GB SSD that I can put in the server but I’ve read that running a FTB/Minecraft server on an SSD provides little noticeable benefit. The rationale given is that an SSD (obviously) significantly improves load times. But for a server that is always on, load times are not relevant. The most relevant Minecraft process when considering storage medium is the speed of world generation when exploring. Thoughts?

On forums that I have read in the past, people have suggested that Minecraft/FTB should be setup on its own user profile on a server rather than the Administrator. Others say it doesn’t matter. Does anyone have any experience or tips they can share from running a FTB/Minecraft server on Windows Server?

Looking forward to hearing your opinions!

Last edited: