Server troubleshooting questions

ronan75

Jul 29, 2019
So after going through quite a lot of posts on some of the same things, I thought Id put together a Troubleshooting questions post for those that need it. These are a lot of the questions and things to test that I'll try before asking for help. If you do them, you are more likely to get help. Posts that give more specific problems will usually get more specific answers.

1. Did you reboot? Seriously, with windows PCs this solves about 80% of minor issues.
2. Did you do an internet search for your problem? You would be surprised how often ITs rely on Google.
3. Did you read the error file? Look for key words like redpower, chunkloading, mystcraft, etc
4. Is your java the proper version? Different platforms might require a specific version
5. Does it work with a fresh install? This could point to a config change or older player/server file
6. Did you check with your host and read all their instructions? Sometimes they have specific directions on how to set it up.
7. Can you connect/interact/build while OP? What about without? This could point to your permissions mod/file.
8. Have you checked proper spacing & typos in your configs/perm files? This relates to #7
9. Is the plugin written for the version of MC or Forge you have installed? Some are backwards compatible, some aren't
10. Are 2 plugins using the same command?
11. Do you have the proper rights setup on your linux/windows/mac/etc folders where you run your server?

Things to understand before hosting your own server
1. Do you understand the difference between a mod & plugin?
2. Do you understand what forge is and why the version is important to know?
3. Do you understand how permissions work?
4. Do you understand the differences between mods like Bukkitforge, forgeessentials, & MCPC+?
5. Do you understand the differences between an IP & a webaddress? Ok this is just a pet peeve of mine. ;)

There are plenty of people willing to help, but just saying "my server is crashing" is really just a waste of a post and will probably go unanswered.

Reactions: Nessiroj