Problem Server Stuttering

EpicFurnace

Jul 29, 2019
I am trying to start up a FTB Unleashed server that a few friends and I can play on, but as I was testing by myself I noticed that I had some minor stutter (Not FPS related). I have not been able to test it with other people connecting but I will assume that it will make it worse. I have read some other threads and have fiddled with the bat file but I still get stutter. If anyone could help it would be much appreciated.

PS. I am somewhat ignorant when it comes to complex server hosting and there is good chance I might not know what you're talking about

Specs:
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130828-1532)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
System Model: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
BIOS: BIOS Date: 05/10/12 11:37:19 Ver: 04.06.05
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8088MB RAM
Page File: 6553MB used, 9618MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 64bit Unicode​

EpicFurnace

Jul 29, 2019
While running your server take a look at your CPU and RAM load, under Performance in Windows Task Manager. And try using @Eyamaz 's JVM arguments for modded minecraft over here http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/jvm-arguments-for-modded-minecraft-updated-12-30-13.28994/

P.S. Those arguments might not work, but try them out yourself

Yeah these don't help, I tried stuff like this already and it seems like no matter how much RAM allocate it doesn't help.

Also with only the server running and myself on it I'm at about 55% cpu usage, which is strange because I have 7.9 gigs of usable ram and I don't think it should be that high.

Redruzerkruzer

Jul 29, 2019
CPU and ram usage do not go hand in hand. I know my craptop uses 90% cpu while only using 10% ram, or my server that is using 1% cpu, but 31% ram.

Are you using HDD or SSDs? (HDDs tend to have much more space, while SSDs have less space and more speed) If you are using HDD, this is your problem. Due to the amount of chunk updates per tick, HDDs just are not fast enough. You will experience block lag, slow chunk loading, and a constant drop in the tps (Ticks per second, 20 is perfect, 1 is server crash). Modpacks have a very hard time running on HDD, so you really need SSDs.

Hope this helped. If you need further assistance in this matter, shoot me a PM and ill do what i can.

PS: Java parameters are very handy. You may not notice the performance increase, but i know on my servers with over 20 people on, it makes a world of difference. Also, increase your permgen to 512mb using the java parameters, this helps so much.